• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman #1 CGC 9.2 slight(p) on eBay...

141 posts in this topic

Is this the real deal? Feedback looks ok, and he's willing to let the winner pick the book up in person, but the description is a bit suspicious("this copy has been in our family since our dad purchased if off the rack").

A 9.0 slight(p) copy sold in '03 for just over 15K. Any guesses how high the bidding will go on the 9.2? It's a REALLY sharp copy...

Linky

That story about his Dad picking up that book off the newstand is such an old chestnut that the alarm bells were always going to be set off. Wonder why it's the only GA book listed....

The auction looks legit though - huge scan, paypal accepted, plus he's done his research and isn't pretending to know nothing.

And with that in mind I don't think reserve will be met, at least not on ebay - it's an heirloom, and with all that info I imagine the seller will have a specific price in mind. Presumably in excess of $100,000.

Is this the real deal? Feedback looks ok, and he's willing to let the winner pick the book up in person, but the description is a bit suspicious("this copy has been in our family since our dad purchased if off the rack").

A 9.0 slight(p) copy sold in '03 for just over 15K. Any guesses how high the bidding will go on the 9.2? It's a REALLY sharp copy...

Linky

The seller does note that his father had the book repaired. It is possible as I do know of several original owner collections where they were later restored. frown.gif

"This Batman #1 has been in my family since my father, as a young boy, walked to the local dime store and bought it. He took great care of this book; it was stored safely and properly in a climate controlled environment. When he observed what he thought might be the beginning of a small spine split towards the bottom of the book, he simply had it fixed. The book was in NM- condition before he had the work done, but he believed that simple conservation work would keep this book in its pristine condition forever."

I agree that the reserve will almost certainly not be met, but I'm curious how high the bidding will go. This auction will be an interesting test as to whether or not slight(p) books have achieved a greater acceptance in the marketplace.

I agree that the reserve will almost certainly not be met, but I'm curious how high the bidding will go. This auction will be an interesting test as to whether or not slight(p) books have achieved a greater acceptance in the marketplace.

Good point, although this would only represent the rarefied $10,000+ end of the market. I'd have to say that 15,000 on a 9.0 with slight P sounds very reasonable, although restored Batman 1s above 7.0 are relatively common. (That sale was a couple of years ago.)

Based on previous sales data, I don't think the bidding will exceed $35,000 - just over a year ago an 8.5 copy, also with slight P, went for $13,800. The market may be more in favor of slight P books, but I doubt this will be a watershed auction in terms of any major swing towards such books. Happy to be proven wrong, though.

Mind you the book looks killer and has OWW pages.

Good point, although this would only represent the rarefied $10,000+ end of the market. I'd have to say that 15,000 on a 9.0 with slight P sounds very reasonable, although restored Batman 1s above 7.0 are relatively common. (That sale was a couple of years ago.)

Based on previous sales data, I don't think the bidding will exceed $35,000 - just over a year ago an 8.5 copy, also with slight P, went for $13,800. The market may be more in favor of slight P books, but I doubt this will be a watershed auction in terms of any major swing towards such books. Happy to be proven wrong, though.

I've already proved you wrong! hi.gif

This book shall be mine. cloud9.gif

I've already proved you wrong! hi.gif

This book shall be mine. cloud9.gif

Egad. Never have I been proved wrong so fast. Ah well, maybe my guess about the reserve ($100,000) may hold up.

That book is so nice, I second that to be all over it!! Restored , who cares ? I rather have a book restored, that looks like that, then one that's falling apart. Beautiful!!

893applaud-thumb.gif

That story about his Dad picking up that book off the newstand is such an old chestnut that the alarm bells were always going to be set off. Wonder why it's the only GA book listed....

I wouldn't put that info about my dad buying it off the rack in the description even if it were true.

That book is so nice, I second that to be all over it!! Restored , who cares ? I rather have a book restored, that looks like that, then one that's falling apart. Beautiful!!

893applaud-thumb.gif

go see comic-keys. foreheadslap.gif

its incredible how the slightest dot of glue can knock 200,000 dollars off a book!

which is the case here......now that is what i call SUPERGLUE...

It's probably not glue. Glue would have gotten the Slight (A) notation, not Slight (P).

its incredible how the slightest dot of glue can knock 200,000 dollars off a book!

It's probably not glue. Glue would have gotten the Slight (A) notation, not Slight (P).

There are (p)rofessional glues.

An example:

Golden Age (1938-1955): Horror, Mask Comics #1 (Rural Home, 1945) CGC Apparent VF 8.0 Slight (P) Off-white to white pages.

There are (p)rofessional glues.

An example:

Golden Age (1938-1955): Horror, Mask Comics #1 (Rural Home, 1945) CGC Apparent VF 8.0 Slight (P) Off-white to white pages.

Wow, I didn't realize they'd give the (P) notation for glue under any circumstances. 893whatthe.gif My understanding is that the pros won't use glue because it does not retain enough flexibility -- especially on the spine (where the work was done on the Batman #1) because the glue does not make a good hinge. Typical pro materials are Japan paper or mesh webbing. Much better flexibility and durability and less of a chance of the hinge coming apart.