• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thrill of victory turned into possible agony of defeat - ComicLink
1 1

39 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Happy you won your books.

Annoyed that it cost you more.

Always has amazed me how many auctions I win at exactly my highest bid.

You will like the books I won - they will be posted in our favorite section when I receive them.

That happens to me frequently also - makes one wonder.......

Just now, Jordysnordy said:

You will like the books I won - they will be posted in our favorite section when I receive them.

That happens to me frequently also - makes one wonder.......

we bidders are either extremely good at estimating the final price of the books we bid on ( possible but unlikely) OR there is internal shenanigans going on to make the most amount of money ( more likely ).

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

we bidders are either extremely good at estimating the final price of the books we bid on ( possible but unlikely) OR there is internal shenanigans going on to make the most amount of money ( more likely ).

the lack of transparency on CL and CC is disturbing. ever since my very first bid on CL i was sure that they were doing some shenanigans. every single auction i've bid on has ended one increment higher, in spite of it not showing up until the auction has ended. still i've gotten some good deals there. 

28 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

the lack of transparency on CL and CC is disturbing. ever since my very first bid on CL i was sure that they were doing some shenanigans. every single auction i've bid on has ended one increment higher, in spite of it not showing up until the auction has ended. still i've gotten some good deals there. 

Shenanigans? Maybe, maybe not. I won two moderns last night within $5 each of my original bids. Yesterday, I checked on the status of my highest bids with 5 minutes left. When I noticed that current bidding was within $5 of my high, I quickly raised my high bids another $40 each just to make sure. It turned out that there was no more bidding activity and I ended up winning both with my original high bids.

Conclusion: in this case my bids were within $5 of perceived market value; if there were shenanigans, CL missed an opportunity to milk another $80 out of me across two bids.

35 minutes ago, szavisca said:

I don't buy a ton at auction but  I've won a few things off CL now where my max bid was 50% more than what I ended up paying...and my bid was placed days in advance.

Thia has been my experience as well. Some of my bids get crept up to the maximum, some are exceeded by the minimum (that happens a lot), and some winners are several hundred dollars below the max bid I have set well ahead of an auction. I think it depends on the book and who else is bidding on said book.

19 minutes ago, mysterio said:

Thia has been my experience as well. Some of my bids get crept up to the maximum, some are exceeded by the minimum (that happens a lot), and some winners are several hundred dollars below the max bid I have set well ahead of an auction. I think it depends on the book and who else is bidding on said book.

probably i'm just paranoid. but it would be nice to have more transparency so everyone could see who's bidding against them. of course, eBay has been more transparent over the years, and yet does absolutely nothing about blatant shill bidding. so, i guess it's all the same... 

1 minute ago, www.alexgross.com said:

probably i'm just paranoid. but it would be nice to have more transparency so everyone could see who's bidding against them. of course, eBay has been more transparent over the years, and yet does absolutely nothing about blatant shill bidding. so, i guess it's all the same... 

It is easy to be a conspiracy theorist when it comes to auctions, especially where the bidders are unknown. I bid on a LOT of books through Clink, and I am sure there are plenty of others who bid much more than I do. I have never seen any pattern that suggests anything fishy, and there are plenty of chances for winning bids of mine to have been pushed up a pretty serious dollar amount. I'd be more worried about issues with the website through Clink that I would be about the potential for shilling.

55 minutes ago, Bighaley21 said:

What I don't understand with CLink is when the winning bid is my top bid but somehow I didn't win the book.. I've never contacted them about it but if the bidding ends at $260 and my top bid is $260 how did I not win the book?

You mean like this :

clink_wierd_loss.png

-bc

Edited by bc

On 10/10/2017 at 7:39 AM, szavisca said:

I don't buy a ton at auction but  I've won a few things off CL now where my max bid was 50% more than what I ended up paying...and my bid was placed days in advance.

CC on the other hand is where it seems like there's just always someone there to creep up to my max bid at the last second every time.

who knows.

Both CL and CC use completely different auction formats.

With CL's last second snipe auction format, it would only make sense to expect a lot more auctions to end at a dollar value which should be below your max bid.

With CC's extended 3-minute bidding time auction format, it would only make sense to see a lot more situations where the auctions end at the winning bidder's max bid as it's usually down to only 2 bidders battling it out at the end.  Unless the book is not highly desired in which case, it would not even go into the extended bidding time period.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

10 hours ago, bc said:
11 hours ago, Bighaley21 said:

What I don't understand with CLink is when the winning bid is my top bid but somehow I didn't win the book.. I've never contacted them about it but if the bidding ends at $260 and my top bid is $260 how did I not win the book?

You mean like this :

clink_wierd_loss.png

10 hours ago, Bighaley21 said:

Yes. Exactly like that..

It's quite possible that there are situations where 2 or possibly more bidders placed the exact same max bid.  :gossip:

In this case, I believe it's the first bidder who placed the max bid ends up winning the book.  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

It's quite possible that there are situations where 2 or possibly more bidders placed the exact same max bid.  :gossip:

In this case, I believe it's the first bidder who placed the max bid ends up winning the book.  (thumbsu

I think I was the 1st bid each time it's occurred. Just kind of strange..