• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kite Fun Book Giveaway. Does Pixie & Dixie & Mr. Jinx exist?

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

New here. I have been collecting "Kite Fun Book" giveaways since 1985.

I started collecting Hanna Barbara comics, got 960 of the 980 that existed up

to that time. The hardest to find were the giveaways, especially the Kite Fun

Books.

So, later in the 1990s, after I sold off the comics, I kept the Kite Fun Books

because they were so hard to find and then I was working for Southern California

Edison. Since them, the only comics I collect are "Kite Fun Books." After 20 years, I have managed to get all (including 1953 Pinocchio) except one, the 1965 Pixie and Dixie listed in the Price Guide. Anybody know if it really exist?

SCE kept doing Kite Fun Books up to about 2000. I think whitman was involved

until about 1990. I have some of the later, 1998 and 1999. Still trying to fill in the 80s and 90s. They changed the name to "Kite Safety Book."

Have you ever seen the Florida version of Donald Duck Tells

About Kites? I have owned at least half a dozen copies of the

SCE and PG&E versions but have never met anyone who has heard

of a Florida copy.

THis is Kite Boy, just a different name.

1982,1984, and 1990 are all Road Runner, same book, reprints.

The last one subtitle was changed to Kite Safety Book. Copyright

western, maybe there last comic

1987 is Wattemspclett's Kite Crisis (Southern California Edison)

1989 I have a photo of, looking for it.

1997/1998 you have the title for. I guess the list I kept posting on ebay

when I was selling my duplicates made it into the price guide finally.

I posted a want add in SCE internal newsletter, offering $10 each for

the missing ones from the 1980s and 1990s.

Either 1999 or 2000 is "Puzzle Place," a SCE sponsored cartoon on PBS. They had a article in the "Edison News" about it at the time, but I never got a copy. They said some XXX million were being distributed to public schools. My kids were at private school so I didn't get. The 1997 my niece brought home from public school, the 1998 my daughter got in a end of day goodie bag on "bring your child to work day." The article said that they had been distributed every year since 1953.

I later, last year, came across something in the general rate case on the PUC website, about the SCE website for kids, and something about the safety education that used to be in the kite fun book were now on the website.

Another website I came across a refernce to Kite Safety Books being avalable from PG&E (in 1993.) So, I think they may have also done there own through the 1990s. They being regulated by the CPUC also like SCE.

Back to the old days. I have never seen a FPL for any of the disney ones. I have seen Brer Rabbit for PG&E and SCE, Donald for PG&E and SCE, but Pinocchio from PG&E only. They disney file copy I bought off of ebay (from disney auctions) of Pinocchio was PG&E. (No longer have it, was offered too much to resist.)

Dave