• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Relevant???

21 posts in this topic

On 10/13/2017 at 3:05 PM, F For Fake said:

Love Zippy.

Tenuously related, my only Mickey Rooney story:

For some reason, several years ago, Mickey Rooney was a guest at DragonCon. I was walking the rows of the "celebrity" area and saw him sitting at a table, alone with his handler. The handler was actively haranguing passersby, "Come meet Mickey Rooney! One of the biggest stars in the world!" Something to that effect, but no one was stopping. Mickey seemed sad and angry, and finally he yelled at the handler, "Stop it, you're embarrassing me."

It made me sad.

And that's my story.

(No, I didn't go talk to him either.)

Years ago I remember seeing him as a guest on a talk show.  He said that for several years in the early 1940s theater managers voted him their favorite star because his films -- the Andy Hardy series and others -- were such reliable ticket sellers.  I remember him saying something like, "I was bigger than Clark Gable!"

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for anyone who appeared in It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World