• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever seen anything like this?

19 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

You know, a couple of days ago I was listing some auctions, and when I listed them, they came up as auctions but WITH "Best Offer" option, just like this. I assumed that this was because I'd incorrectly used an old template from a previous BIN listing, but they continued to show up that way. When I started from scratch, the Best Offer option went away. I wonder if there's a glitch, or if it's something they're rolling out (auctions with best offer options?)

Edited by F For Fake

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

You know, a couple of days ago I was listing some auctions, and when I listed them, they came up as auctions but WITH "Best Offer" option, just like this. I assumed that this was because I'd incorrectly used an old template from a previous BIN listing, but they continued to show up that way. When I started from scratch, the Best Offer option went away. I wonder if there's a glitch, or if it's something they're rolling out (auctions with best offer options?)

I was looking at all the preferences on the listings and havent seen that option come up. Thats the only seller I saw which had this.

Would be cool to have an option like that

6 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

I was looking at all the preferences on the listings and havent seen that option come up. Thats the only seller I saw which had this.

Would be cool to have an option like that

So that the low-ballers can offer .99 cents?

25 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

So that the low-ballers can offer .99 cents?

Well Im sure u were kidding, but i honestly think its quite useful if u list with a chance to have someone offer you something instead of you waiting 7 days for the auction to complete

It's a program that has been suggested for well over a decade. Instead of waiting for the auction to end, you can make an offer. If the seller likes it, listing ends. And, it plays into eBay's "you see it, you buy it, just like Amazon!" mentality.

Once a bid is placed, the Best Offer option goes away. eBay doesn't want bidders to bid and not have a chance to bid again.

It looks like it is in a Beta-y rollout phase at the moment, since all the eBay help pages say it's still not available for auctions.

2 minutes ago, woowoo said:

69 cents (thumbsu What's up Lizards 2 your sister still has not called me (shrug)

Hopefully she's not having a fling with porcupenis48....., 

16 hours ago, Senormac said:

Maybe its so someone can "best offer" even MORE than $1.99 hm

Thats exactly what it is.

Seller had this too with the same option:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Vampire-5-September-2010-DC-Vertigo-Excellent-VF-NM-/362127365904?epid=109428103&hash=item5450791710:g:Bd4AAOSwhYdZ3BI7

Interesting that on that listing it shows that winner got the book at 1.99. But if you look carefully below you will see that it was actually won at 10.00. Which is likely because a buyer offered him 10.00 on a 1.99 auction

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=american+vampire+5&_sop=13&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=63&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=american+vampire+5&_sacat=63

Just now, Aweandlorder said:

Thats exactly what it is.

Seller had this too with the same option:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Vampire-5-September-2010-DC-Vertigo-Excellent-VF-NM-/362127365904?epid=109428103&hash=item5450791710:g:Bd4AAOSwhYdZ3BI7

Interesting that on that listing it shows that winner got the book at 1.99. But if you look carefully below you will see that it was actually won at 10.00. Which is likely because a buyer offered him 10.00 on a 1.99 auction

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=american+vampire+5&_sop=13&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=63&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=american+vampire+5&_sacat=63

Yep. The one I won had a starting bid of $20. I sent a best offer of $350. When you look at the completed listing it appears as though it sold for the starting price with only a single bid, but if you do a completed search on the seller the correct price shows up. 

Kind of weird, but it worked out for me. 

Glad to see eBay start doing this.  They have made some great improvements over the last several years.  I think the best decision they made was to allow a seller to make an offer via their message system to those that have messaged a seller behind the scenes.  I've picked up a bunch of OA that way.

On 10/18/2017 at 11:35 PM, masterlogan2000 said:

I know I'm a little late to the party, but I saw the following blog post by eBay explaining this.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/eBay-is-Helping-Boost-Conversion-with-Best-Offer/ba-p/27622691

So only new sellers are getting this feature? How does that even make sense? :facepalm: