• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BEETLEJUICE 2 from WB (TBD)
2 2

59 posts in this topic

Saw it tonight.

There are two ways to look at this. If you love Tim Burton's films you will not be disappointed this film
is almost exclusively like its late 80s film. There also almost no digital animation. The songs are quirky
and a couple nice dance routines. There are a couple of scenes that are really hilarious. There is a interesting
scene how they get around Jeffrey Jones not being in the film as well. 

Now if you don't like Tim Burton the first 30 minutes will drag. The lack of digital animation will turn off some 
and there are just the scenes from the first one that you will remember. The wedding cake scene goes on
forever. Monica Bullici is wasted in this film.(She is the hottie from the Matrix sequel.) William Dafoe was just
unneeded and Jenna was not given enough to work with. If you haven't seen the original you will not get several
scenes in the new film at all. 

I am somewhere in the middle here. It did not live up to my expectations and there only like 10 people in the theater
which surprised me. 

Edited by fastballspecial

3.5/5 

2/4

Depends on your scale.

It wasn't bad.  It wasn't great.  It delighted.  I would have thrown in a few more minutes of Keaton and Ortega.   There seemed to be a lot going on though which is typical of a Burton movie.  As mentioned above, it was definitely a "Tim Burton movie."

A lot of fun. Tons of practical effects!! Keaton is fantastic. Wish there was more of Bullici. She is so hot in this! Some paceing issues here and there. Wrapped up too quickly with some of the villians. Too talky in the middle. Felt like there could be another movie after this. Movie was at its best when it was most crazy and a lot was happening. Huge Note...If you are a Mario Bava fan you will get an extra huge kick out of this movie. Definitely a tribute. B/B+.

Edited by Rip

Not my brand. Not horrible given the 30 or so years from no discipline with it.

I was found in '81 but was or wasn't prime age for the first one, and or, had no desire to see the first.

This being a "first" viewing of all the hubbub and fresh to my eyes after living that long lol thank God, it wasn't so incantations couldn't be resolved for a story plot, it at least tried for a family aspect is what I mean ...

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Just saw it.  Hard to say exactly how I felt about it.  It was enjoyable, not great.  Even had two or three sequences that were really good, along with solid performances. But overall it felt like it never really comes together.  It lacked a strong central plot, and was instead driven by several mini plots. Those served mainly to get you to the next sequence rather then adding to the complexity or depth.  Plus, ideas that felt like they should lead to major events, were easily and nonchalantly dismissed or ended. The end result was plotlines and even scenes that felt like they needed more time, more developement, and resulted in a very choppy film. 

So ultimately somewhat frustrating more than anything, because there were many great ideas in there. In a world where many streaming series feel like movies that are stretched way to thin over 6 to 8 episodes, this movie feels like the oppiset. It had enough ideas and even plots, that fleshed out, would have may for a solid streaming show.

6/10 overall.

I’m old enough to have seen the first one at the cinema, and to have considered Tim Burton to be a visionary director (things don’t always pan the way you’d think).

This sequel I really liked, good plot, great cast, Keaton great.  The wedding cake song scene was very odd with Winona just told to stare shocked at Keaton for what felt like hours.

But yea, good film.  Being actually funny (rather than just pretending to be) helped a lot.

On 9/15/2024 at 4:29 PM, koollectablz said:

I’m old enough to have seen the first one at the cinema, and to have considered Tim Burton to be a visionary director (things don’t always pan the way you’d think).

This sequel I really liked, good plot, great cast, Keaton great.  The wedding cake song scene was very odd with Winona just told to stare shocked at Keaton for what felt like hours.

But yea, good film.  Being actually funny (rather than just pretending to be) helped a lot.

I would enjoy an entire sitcom based around Beetlejuice being a couples councilor.