• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recently got a Batman 227, should I slab?

12 posts in this topic

Recently I found a lower grade Batman 227 at convention.  It's not a great copy, probably a 5-6 grade...but I've always wanted one and bought it.

I read the story which was not that great, so now I'm debating what to do with it.    I mainly just want it to hang on my wall.

Is it worth spending about 60 bucks to get it graded at CGC now (I do not have a membership) or should I just keep it raw for long term and maybe grade it at some point in the future...

10 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Recently I found a lower grade Batman 227 at convention.  It's not a great copy, probably a 5-6 grade...but I've always wanted one and bought it.

I read the story which was not that great, so now I'm debating what to do with it.    I mainly just want it to hang on my wall.

Is it worth spending about 60 bucks to get it graded at CGC now (I do not have a membership) or should I just keep it raw for long term and maybe grade it at some point in the future...

Cgc prices went up recently and in my noob opinion of your no longer using it for anything else (read etc) and going to grade it anyway, sigh, do it now. I just checked some of my slabs that I had on the shelf and there was a lot of dust lolso if the wall is the destination put it in a frame. 

Sorry you didn't like the book's story....

2 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

I wouldn't slab it unless you plan on selling it.  Put it in a mylar and display it proudly.  (thumbsu

6 hours ago, scooter99 said:

I wouldn't slab it unless you plan on selling it.  Put it in a mylar and display it proudly.  (thumbsu

Agreed. There's something liberating about not slabbing raw books. Nothing against CGC, I collect raw and graded, but I never grade books I buy raw -- just put 'em in a Mylite and let 'em shine!

I have to agree with no to slabbing.  I collect raw and slabbed but as I was reading Ragman (1974) and a Miller DD 1993 miniseries the other day, I thought this was the part of the hobby I enjoyed most: reading story and appreciating artwork not surrendering to OCD tendicies and fretting over perfect wraps, safe stoatage, etc. 

even tho you already read it, entombing it in plastic serves no purposeful function. With it raw, you can continue to enjoy interior artwork, look at old ads, etc. 

just my opinion 

17 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Keep it raw. But you can post good pics or scans in the PGM forum so you can feel comfortable that you have good idea of what grade or range it is.

I wouldn't slab  it. If I found a really nice copy, say in the 9.0-9.8 range, then yeah I'd send it to be slabbed. It's a valuable book and a "key" of sorts, even though the story offers no new characters or developments and is mediocre. It's the cover that is the draw. Black cover and an Adams swipe of a Kane cover. Most of these books have been reprinted or can be found online so our really nice copy can remain untouched by our chicken finger/Dorito stained fingers. I have a 9.4 ow/w. I'm not about to bust it out just to read it.

37 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

I wouldn't slab  it. If I found a really nice copy, say in the 9.0-9.8 range, then yeah I'd send it to be slabbed. It's a valuable book and a "key" of sorts, even though the story offers no new characters or developments and is mediocre. It's the cover that is the draw. Black cover and an Adams swipe of a Kane cover. Most of these books have been reprinted or can be found online so our really nice copy can remain untouched by our chicken finger/Dorito stained fingers. I have a 9.4 ow/w. I'm not about to bust it out just to read it.

Agreed.  I would only slab 8.0's or higher.  Midgrade and lower grade copies sell just fine raw.