• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Value Percentages for Various Grades

13 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm setting up a spread sheet for guide values and would like to know the rule of thumb for values for the various CGC ranking system. If 9.2 (NM-) = 100% Guide what would the other grades be worth. If 9.2 (NM-) isn't the 100% guide what is? confused.gif

10.0 _______

9.9 _______

9.8 _______

9.6 _______

9.4 _______

9.2 100%

9.0 _______

8.5 _______

8.0 _______

7.5 _______

7.0 _______

6.5 _______

6.0 _______

5.5 _______

5.0 _______

4.5 _______

4.0 _______

3.5 _______

3.0 _______

2.5 _______

2.0 _______

1.8 _______

1.5 _______

1.0 _______

0.5 _______

Here's what I came up with using the OSPG for a comic valued at $100. What do you think?

9.2........... 100

9.............. 78

8.5........... 66.5

8.............. 55

7.............. 39.5

6.5........... 31.75

6.............. 24

5.5........... 22

5.............. 20

4.............. 16

3.............. 12

2.5........... 10

2............. 8

1.8........... 6

1.5........... 4

1.0........... 2

I don't think that using percentages actually works. I've been harassed before by using percentage of the NM values. In the OSPG, it depends on how key a book is, and the percentage will change.

I've noticed that the percentages change. I'm just trying to set a rule of thumb for my spreadsheet to generate a total collection value. I'm sure there would be a plus minus factor. I don't know what to value the upper grades, as I think it's too subjective or it's whatever you get for said comic.

If you want your spreadsheet to be more accurate compared to "real world" values, you will need to have different % scales for GA, SA, BA, copper age & modern comics. Your above scale may be accurate for BA & copper age comics only if that is what you primarily collect now. . juggle.gif

If you want your spreadsheet to be more accurate compared to "real world" values, you will need to have different % scales for GA, SA, BA, copper age & modern comics. Your above scale may be accurate for BA & copper age comics only if that is what you primarily collect now. . juggle.gif

That's correct. For example, for some SA books in CGC 9.2, particularly earlier issues, you might have to pay more (sometimes much more) than 100% of the OS 9.2 price. I don't follow the BA market very closely, but I doubt you'd have to pay much of a premium, or any, for a BA book in CGC 9.2.

look closely at the Overstreet spreads and you will see they vary from 1:3:6 all the way up to 1:3:36 for the big SA keys. so, obviously, taking 78% for instance of teh listed 9.2 top price is not going to be accurate for every comics, probably only the usual commons on 1:3:8 or 1:3:10

Not exactly sure what you meant by 1:3:6 and 1:3:36

But the attached table shows how the OSPG breaks down for some comics ranging from KeySA to common MA at least where they mention a value for each grade listed.

Grade......IM120......AV157......AV11......AV1.........FF1

..9.2.........100%......100%.......100%......100%......100%

..9.0..........75.0%.... 80%.......74.25%....70.83%...63.14%

..8.0..........62.5%.....60%.......48.5%......41.65%...26.29%

..6.0..........37.5%.....30%.......20.25%....14.28%....7.5%

..4.0..........25.0%.....20%.......13.5%......9.52%......5.0%

..2.0..........12.5%.....10%........6.75%.....4.76%......2.5%

Where I thought the older Key issues would hold their value in lower grades longer than Bronze or Copper it isn't so. More common comics hold their value better in lower grades than the key SA

I used to think OS had a rule of thumb for conditions below their given 100% value it isn't true. In the past they did, I've got an early issue of OS #8 and they refer to a table to percentage drop-off for various grades.

Where I thought the older Key issues would hold their value in lower grades longer than Bronze or Copper it isn't so. More common comics hold their value better in lower grades than the key SA

I used to think OS had a rule of thumb for conditions below their given 100% value it isn't true. In the past they did, I've got an early issue of OS #8 and they refer to a table to percentage drop-off for various grades.

Slow down.

You are saying that a GOOD copy of IM #120 is worth $1 (which is Overstreet's Value). My guess would be that book is worth MAYBE 5 to 10 CENTS in GD. Overstreet DOESN'T EVER show a PRICE for a book that is LESS THAN COVER PRICE. And truthfully, I just dont' think and Iron-Man #120 in NM- would sell for an average price of $8.

Most BA and Newer books will have very little value in the low to mid grade (excluding Key issues of course).

Not exactly sure what you meant by 1:3:6 and 1:3:36

But the attached table shows how the OSPG breaks down for some comics ranging from KeySA to common MA at least where they mention a value for each grade listed.

Grade......IM120......AV157......AV11......AV1.........FF1

..9.2.........100%......100%.......100%......100%......100%

..9.0..........75.0%.... 80%.......74.25%....70.83%...63.14%

..8.0..........62.5%.....60%.......48.5%......41.65%...26.29%

..6.0..........37.5%.....30%.......20.25%....14.28%....7.5%

..4.0..........25.0%.....20%.......13.5%......9.52%......5.0%

..2.0..........12.5%.....10%........6.75%.....4.76%......2.5%

The 1:3:6 etc I referred to is Overstreets general approach to pricing the lower grades in relation to top grade price (whether 9.4 in the previous years, or 9.2 today) It corresponds to G:F:NM(-). And understanding its use will point out the error in your analysis in your latter paragraph. It isnt that the lower grades are worth more or less depending on the individual comic, it is that the HIGH GRADE (NM) prices spike upward dramatically that causes the lower grades %s to differ. In the last 10 years as the top of guide price soared for keys, the G and F prices stayed pretty much where they were, or went up ata much lower %. Therefore, whereas nearly ALL comics were 1:3:6 in the early days of the guide, nowadays as the keys have skyrocketed in NM and G/F stayed low, the spreads he uses are 1:3:12 and 15 etc.

Just look at your chart - - - see how F is 3 times EXACTLY as much as good in EVERY example you quoted?? Its the top price that has moved beyound the rest in price scale....

I guess if I want to have a fairly accurate report I'll have to input current OS values individually. Sure wish OS would provide their values via spreadsheet or DB style. Or some comic catalog would provide OS values. Oh well Thanks for all your help.

frown.gif

well, yes and no, kinda. The number of variations are not infinite. Take some notes on various books, new and old, hot and cold, key and common, and you see the general trends they have followed. I have input Guide values and taken the spreads into consideration in calculating the values of all the split grades from just the NM price and the spread for each book. Off the top of my head, 80% of the books listed in the Guide fall between 1:3:8 and 1:3:12. Many of the Modern listings dont have a G price so you can do what you want with them. I just assign the %s for the 1:3:8s since who cares about a "value" for a non-NM copy of an 80s or 90s when they sell in bulk for a dime apiece regardless of the Guide?

Slow down.

You are saying that a GOOD copy of IM #120 is worth $1 (which is Overstreet's Value). My guess would be that book is worth MAYBE 5 to 10 CENTS in GD. Overstreet DOESN'T EVER show a PRICE for a book that is LESS THAN COVER PRICE. And truthfully, I just dont' think and Iron-Man #120 in NM- would sell for an average price of $8.

Most BA and Newer books will have very little value in the low to mid grade (excluding Key issues of course).

Sorry I missed your post. That's why I choose IM120 I wanted a fairly common comic that OS listed a value for in all six grades. Something like IM331 only lists a value for NM-. I wasn't trying to get into the actual value of comics but the OS guide values. Of course we all know that a comics value at any given time is only what somebody will give you for it if you accept his offer. But those facts can only be derived from actual sales. Pretty hard to do when your trying to establish a value with 8000 comics. Which means that any value my spreadsheet establishes is very subjective in relationship to actual sales.