• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mylar Bags

15 posts in this topic

You can do it either way. Some people prefer not to have tape anywhere near their comics for fear of snagging the books on it.

Personally, I tape my mylar bags (mylites2) using majic tape.This stops some of the air getting to the books that can yellow the pages.

I had some comics stored in open top Mylar (4ml) bags for about 15 years. When I took them out to inspect them last year I noticed that about the top inch of all the pages were a darker color then the rest of the page. The covers seemed to be fine, but the page color at the top was very noticeable.

Now I only use the Mylar (4ml) bags that close at the top. I think they're called Timelocks. I'm at work and don't have the url to where I buy them, but I'm sure someone here can post one.

It's my opinion that a book shouldn't be completely sealed so it can "breath". But it seems that keeping it nearly sealed is a good idea.

Now I only use the Mylar (4ml) bags that close at the top. I think they're called Timelocks. I'm at work and don't have the url to where I buy them, but I'm sure someone here can post one.

The 4 mil TIME-LOKS are what I use as well. They're great.

You can buy them directly from BCE Mylar here.

I team them up with their LIFE-X-TENDERS backing boards for the ultimate in protection (short of a CGC case). tongue.gif

I despise time loks. Need a pair of scissors to open up the bent mylar lock on top usually. Could snag your Marvel chipped comics on the top edge if u are clumsy like me. Advise use of 2 mil Arklytes by E Gerber distributed via Diamond Comics Dist'n. Tape optional or just bend flap back & wrap next to backing board & reinsert inside a larger open top 3 mil mylar.

I despise time loks. Need a pair of scissors to open up the bent mylar lock on top usually. Could snag your Marvel chipped comics on the top edge if u are clumsy like me.

Hmmmm........I've never had a problem with them. I don't have any trouble opening them, but I could see where a Marvel chipped book could get snagged if you weren't careful. Too bad you don't live back in Fred Flinstones time. It's hard to chip those rock tablets. tongue.gif

I team them up with their LIFE-X-TENDERS backing boards for the ultimate in protection (short of a CGC case).

Time-loks with Life-X-Tenders is a horrible combination for Silver and Golden age books.

They are far to tight a fit and the books look like they are 'squashed' inside. If you want to take a book out, it is almost imposible without damage.

Mylites2 are a much safer option with Life-X-tenders as the books are not nearly so snug inside.

I don't know why I didn't ask this question sooner:

Does anyone know what the ideal E. Gerber (Please NO BCE) mylar size is for a "Marvel Masterworks" volume? Would the same size fit a "DC Archives" volume?

Would a 2 mil 8 1/4 x 10 3/4 Super Golden Age Comic size Mylite be large enough? Actually, it's not so much the size of the book, it's the thickness of the book that requires a larger size sleeve.

Time-loks with Life-X-Tenders is a horrible combination for Silver and Golden age books. They are far to tight a fit and the books look like they are 'squashed' inside.

I guess that's true if you can't figure out the solution. tongue.gif

Instead of hating on them...... just buy the next larger size of them for your books (they go clear up to magazine size).......that's what I do. smirk.gif

Instead of hating on them...... just buy the next larger size of them for your books (they go clear up to magazine size).......that's what I do.

Agreed, that would probably work. tongue.gif

I just feel that mylites 2 (2 mil mylar) is much better value for money and I feel more confident in the protection they give to my books. Just a personal opinion.

Mylite2's w/ fullbacks are the way to go....You can close 'em up (unlike a Mylar), there is plenty of room for the book (I use SA size), and they display the book great! smile.gif Can't say enough good things about them!

Chris

I'd have to throw my vote in for the Mylar2's (or mylite 2s as I think they're listed by egerber) plus a full back backing board. A whole bunch of those full back backing boards will eat up your box space however. (which makes a difference if you've got some 40 plus short boxes) smile.gif Good with bad I suppose.

Agreed, that would probably work.

I just feel that mylites 2 (2 mil mylar) is much better value for money and I feel more confident in the protection they give to my books. Just a personal opinion.

I can't argue with that. The 2 mils are less expensive and still offer archival protection.

I just like the extra corner protection I get from the 4 mil thick ones. A person could aways store Key issues in the 4 mil bags and everything else in the thinner 2 mil bags. Although......I don't really think you can go wrong with just storing everything in those 2 mil ones either.

My personal opinion?.......just try to get any books that you want to be protected out of those cheapo bags and boards and into "true" mylar bags with "true" acid free archival boards. Based on what I have read in here......Gerber and BCE Mylar probably offer the best solutions and you have different options with them depending on your budget.