• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[CLOSED] GA Fawcett "Mighty Midget" Comics - IBIS THE INVINCIBLE #11 (1942) -- SOLD!

5 posts in this topic

Up for sale tonight…"Mighty Midget" Comics Ibis the Invincible #11 (Fawcett, 1942)!

An unfortunate title for a comics series, no doubt...but this is still a very cool oddity from the heart of the Golden Age of Comics!!!

-----------------------------------

TERMS:

• :takeit: in the thread rules.

• PayPal ONLY for this sale.

• No HOS'ers/probies/etc.

• Payment is due within 3 days of closing the deal unless we've made other arrangements.

DOMESTIC US SHIPPING (fully insured Priority Mail w/extremely secure packaging):

• FREE!!!

(NOTE: I am sometimes able to ship the same day that payment is received, but usually no later than one day after payment is received.)

***VERY IMPORTANT NOTE -- US shipping only, very sorry!***

RETURNS:  

• Shouldn't be necessary, but…I'm reasonable -- if there's a problem of ANY kind, please PM me and we WILL work it out to your satisfaction.

Need larger scans? Detail pics? Interior pics? More info? Please feel free to PM me.

Finally, my feedback thread is located here (under my old username, but it's still me):

My feedback...

Edited by jools&jim

Mighty Midget Comics "Ibis the Invincible" #11 (Fawcett, 1942):

This is a 4" x 5" two-color mini comic (dated 1942 in the indicia), with the same full-color cover image (by the legendary Mac Raboy) as Fawcett's full-sized Ibis #1.

According to Overstreet, the full-sized Ibis #1 was on sale in very early 1943.  Some sources claim that this mini-comic pre-dates the full-sized issue, but what seems much more likely to me is that both versions (the "regular" comic book and this tiny "variant") were released more-or-less simultaneously.  

This mini-comic version contains 36 pages (counting both covers), no ads, and features the Ibis origin story along with two other Ibis stories reprinted from Whiz Comics 30 & 31. 

Think of it as a VERY early example of the "digest" comics which would become much more common during the '60s and '70s.

NOTE: All of the Fawcett "Mighty Midget" comics were numbered as either "11" or "12", with the 11s (like this one) released in a boxed set which also contained miniature puzzle books, coloring books, and paper dolls, etc.  These "11s" are also easily identified by the War Bond seal on the back cover, which is otherwise blank (see scans below).

But, no matter how you slice it, this is a cool peak-period GA Fawcett book--and in a quirky format, too--for very light $$!

G/VG -- 1.25" tear two-thirds of the way down the rhs of the front cover (not completely visible in the scan); inexplicable "1945" date stamps on one interior page (see pic below).  Very solid otherwise.

$25 shipped, insured, and securely packaged in a fresh Mylar via USPS Priority Mail.

MM-IbisA.JPG

MM-IbisB.JPG

MM-IbisC.JPG