• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I buy new comic books?
1 1

25 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Nathan81 said:

Maybe I’ve misunderstood, but the consensus seems to be that most modern or current books that are valuable now won’t retain there value long term, while an older book (80’s and earlier) is more likely to. Is that right?

This is the principal of established value. Within a limit, the longer a book takes to get to a certain selling point in value the more likely it will be to stay at that value...or even increase. The more examples as well there may be of the book selling at a given price too. The consensus is that when a newer book reaches some nose bleed high selling price it  is shown that very often that price will simmer down to a more realistic selling price. If the book really is good and has the true earmarks of value then it may very well see that high selling price again. 

11 hours ago, Nathan81 said:

I mentioned earlier in this thread that print runs are lower now, as well as there being in my opinion better content than in the 90’s. Scarcity is a factor in value, so I’d think that would lead to a higher number of modern books retaining their value.

And correct you would be. There is nothing wrong at all with putting some money into collecting valuable comics especially if you plan on moving them along in the future.

8 hours ago, H0RR0RSH0W said:

This is the principal of established value. Within a limit, the longer a book takes to get to a certain selling point in value the more likely it will be to stay at that value...or even increase. The more examples as well there may be of the book selling at a given price too. The consensus is that when a newer book reaches some nose bleed high selling price it  is shown that very often that price will simmer down to a more realistic selling price. If the book really is good and has the true earmarks of value then it may very well see that high selling price again. 

That makes sense. I’ve got some books in mind now and have been looking at websites that have undervalued comic picks. 

I’m thinking of asm 238 in a 9.6, and probably 239 as well. I’m also thinking of silver surfer second series 44 in a 9.6. I could get all three of those for around the same price as a silver surfer first series #3 8.5. Not sure which would be a better pick. 

Or maybe I should save up and get a 8.0-9.0 copy of Incredible Hulk 181

I should be able to hold on to them for 20-30 years, unless I need the money sooner.

Edited by Nathan81

I buy new comics purely for the reading enjoyment, usually via the trades.  Thinking about going digital at the moment.  From an investment perspective?  Nada.

After "returning" to the hobby back in 2012 or so, I actually found it refreshing to be able to buy and enjoy a comic without being paranoid about keep it in pristine condition like the old days.  I actually get to enjoy the book for whatever entertainment value it offers versus whatever ROI I can get from it. 

I've been considering not buying new comics at all.  I only have a couple titles on my pull list and I enjoy reading them each month, but I could save a lot of money by just buying them used at conventions or off of kijiji (Canadian Craigslist).  The problem would be I would likely always be a couple years behind what's currently going on in the comic and I like being able to read discussions about the comics on reddit and whatnot. I've been debating cancelling my pull list for months now but just can't seem to pull the trigger!

I've been thinking about this more and more. I still think Blank Cover books can hold some value if you invest in them beyond the cover price. But, I wonder if first appearances will still hold value. Batman: The Animated Series, issue 12 should not be worth what it is. It's just because It's a first appearance in a modern book. So I guess first appearances could make the book worth something.