• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need some help: Anyone Recognize these Marvel pages?

11 posts in this topic

Howdy computer-pals!

Long and short, picked up 4 odd "pages" of art in a deal today. I need help identifying two of them.

The stuff i do recognize are these Marvel age pages (or saga, one of two) and could look up. Partial drawn majority stat reprints from AF15. What i dont recognize are two odd pieces. The first is a redo of the end page to the Byrne Surfer special. Additional art has been drawn on it and its backgrounds modified (with a printed BYRNE signature stat added). its odd sized, but its also on "Marvel Books" paper. Likely someone like Trimpe or some bullpen guy extended it out using the Byrne center. Oddly, Zipatone work was added to it to. Its actually decently done for what it is, but id like to know what this goofy hybrid piece is from.

Last is this all stat (also on marvel books printed copywrite paper) wolverine image. Was this from like a teeshirt or add? Anyone recognize this or the Surfer?

Any thoughts on this appreciated!

SpideyAF15.jpg

Surfer Front Art.jpg

Surfer Front back.jpg

WolverineBookArt.jpg

WolverineBookArtBack.jpg

3 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

Wolverine image looks exactly like the cover of the limited series, issue #2. Who knows what all that image has been used for.

It is. It’s from the Miller/Rubenstein Cover to Wolverine mini #2. If I had to guess, maybe the Surfer & Wolverine Images were for poster art? 

75CCFAE8-68A9-4F25-8315-6921824E7CDE.jpeg

Edited by PhilipB2k17

I know that back in the early-1990s or maybe the mid-1990s, there was a Wolverine shirt with this image on it because I saw it at a show (maybe it was a Graphitti Designs shirt?) and I wanted it, but, at that time, having money for comics was priority and being seen in a geeky comic book shirt was not.

I would say that both the Wolverine and Silver Surfer images were used - or intended to be used - for T-shirts or posters.

The Spider-Man art is definitely from Marvel Saga, most likely issue #1.

I've seen the Spider-man page , looked it up i think it was issue 2. That wasn't hard to find, it was a majority stat page but its still 2 pages from a comic book so I'm good on that.

I think the Idea of a Marvel Teeshirt or Poster makes most sense. Something Black and white on the Byrne because it appears the Surfer image has also had zipatone added along with the signature and the additional extension and background details. I just cant for the life of me find it what definitively either was used for. Some Marvel Tee or poster is best i got unless someone here knows better.

6 minutes ago, ESeffinga said:

Well here's this shot of that image on a polybagged shirt...

1e82908b3061bcf5c29bdf727422e338.jpg

Winner! ok So piece one is the final design art for the Teeshirt.  Now i gotta find the Surfer, could be the same stuff. Thanks for that!

2 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Winner! ok So piece one is the final design art for the Teeshirt.  Now i gotta find the Surfer, could be the same stuff. Thanks for that!

The copy material up the right is a sure sign, but I'd bet there are more items that used the image, those covers from that mini are considered classic.