• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MIGHTY CON - DUPAGE COMIC CON 11/11/2017 (CHICAGO)

55 posts in this topic

I made it to the show and back and had a good time there in a pretty tight time window. I brought the kid and she always loves the jewelry and crafts that I try to speed past. Normally I'm one to complain about non comic related products being at a show but hey, it occupies her while I'm digging through boxes and asking about prices!

We made it through the layout a few times and checked out wall books. Not a lot of standout books except for Brad and Roger that I could see. Plenty of deals to be had from what I saw. It's a one day show and the dealers were motivated and looking to score some cash as there's no shows left for the year and presumably pad the bank account for Christmas presents. Lot of chatter from dealers to make a deal so I'd like to hear how the dealers did.

I didn't hit up Hector/mannetska as their booth was swamped every time I stopped by. Hopefully you did well!

It seemed to be pretty well split up in terms of vendor types. 1st row  in was all artists/writers which I think is pretty cool. This helps them get traffic to them in and out, and, let's face it, not many buyers are there specifically to see them. The 2nd row was an even split between back issues, artists, toys and trinkets.

The 3rd and 4th (last) row in from the entrance was where you saw primarily comics, toys, and statues. Alley Cat Comics, First Aid Comics, chicago area regulars and ice cream.

No major pickups on my end but I did get NYX 1,3, and 4 from a Chicago dealer who I have seen for years and think of him as "the Godzilla Guy" but can't remember his name for the life of me! We got ice cream and watched the fire guy in the corner doing glassware before I realized all of his stuff for sale belonged in a headshop and had a supremely inappropriate Jack Skellington "pipe".

Cosplay was lighter than what I've seen in the past but had a few standouts (and the door guy Thanos? should have had a friend tell him it was a bad idea.) $8 entry was well worth it and the food/drink prices were cheap. This is the kind of show that should be around for years to come and be solid for buyers and sellers.

And my hometown Houston Astros won the World Series so I'm on a roll!

Hey! The Godzilla guys name is John. Good guy. He said he had a lot of books and unfortunately I was by myself so never really saw what else he had. He held a asm300 for me that was very nice 

as far as sales, every dealer I spoke to did great. Personally for me I exceeded my total sales that I expected and more importantly I exceeded the number of books/boxes I wanted to move

sold a total of 10 long boxes of cheap books and about 4 short boxes of priced books

found some nice books and best of all finally met @Bomber-Bob

:whee: 

4 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Hey! The Godzilla guys name is John. Good guy. He said he had a lot of books and unfortunately I was by myself so never really saw what else he had. He held a asm300 for me that was very nice 

as far as sales, every dealer I spoke to did great. Personally for me I exceeded my total sales that I expected and more importantly I exceeded the number of books/boxes I wanted to move

sold a total of 10 long boxes of cheap books and about 4 short boxes of priced books

found some nice books and best of all finally met @Bomber-Bob

:whee: 

You guys have met before, but neither of you remember it :facepalm:

On 11/10/2017 at 3:31 PM, manetteska said:

It has happened -- thanks to a lot of help from my wife.

All 50% off books are priced and sorted.

14 short boxes total:

• 1 box of free comics
  • 6 boxes of $1 comics (these will become 2/$1 at some point during the show)
  • 5 1/2 boxes of 50% off
  • 1 1/4 boxes of JSC + Hughes ($3 ea)
  • 1/4 boxes of wall books (20% off)
  • Additional random GA and wall books that are too wide for the shortboxes

The 1 1/4 boxes of JSC + Hughes ($3 ea) was a very stellar box . Dave's whole inventory was stellar with very reasonable pricing.

I will echo what was already said: a very good show for me as well.

I was able to get rid of 4-5 short boxes and made 25x table cost. (: I didn't buy much (as my goal was to downsize) but I was able to snag an ASM 300 which walked in the door. I'm hoping it fits in with my upgrade plan.

This show (specifically in DuPage) continues to be a great 1-day show; it brings in buyers loving to dig in $.25/$.50/$1 boxes as well as those looking for correctly priced keys.

Mega Booth was a resounding success and I think we're all going to be back in February, after some hibernation.

A great time with Hector, Brad, and Roger.

Sounds like you guys did great!  Congrats on the sales and I’m sad you guys are not closer so I could come check out this Con.  None of the local guys have books like the ones Hector was show in his $1 bins.

The show had a great crowd, all of the dealers I talked to did well.  Dave and Hector had a large mass of people at the booth all day, it was crazy over there for quite a while.  I sold through quite a bit of stuff, but then came home with two extra long boxes of new books. 

I'm totally bummed that I missed the show! I look forward to it every year. For some reason I had it in my head that it was in January or February. Perhaps they moved it up this year?

I was at the Chicagoland Slot Machine and Advertising Show earlier that day and scored a few oddball comics, but I would definitely had made time for the con had I known. (shrug)

8 hours ago, fatninja said:

The show had a great crowd, all of the dealers I talked to did well.  Dave and Hector had a large mass of people at the booth all day, it was crazy over there for quite a while.  I sold through quite a bit of stuff, but then came home with two extra long boxes of new books. 

I really like the way you guys set up the booth.

On 11/11/2017 at 4:15 PM, KolmarAvenue said:

No major pickups on my end but I did get NYX 1,3, and 4 from a Chicago dealer who I have seen for years and think of him as "the Godzilla Guy" but can't remember his name for the life of me! We got ice cream and watched the fire guy in the corner doing glassware before I realized all of his stuff for sale belonged in a headshop and had a supremely inappropriate Jack Skellington "pipe".

There were a couple of Godzilla Guys in the same vicinity at this show -- and both named John! Did you buy from the tall guy with glasses or the bald guy?