• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any help would be appreciated!!!!

5 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I've been collecting comics since 1995, but have never dabbled in original art of any kind. I recently came up on 19 art prints all measuring 15 1/2" x 10 1/2". All 19 prints are from the issue War is Hell #1. From the research I have done, I believe these are not original art but stat pasted onto the art boards. I was just wondering if you guys could confirm my beliefs and maybe tell what is the estimated value on something like this???? Thanks in advance.

Here are photos of two pages from the first story and all have the same stamp on the back like in the 3rd pic.

20171025_232413-1.jpg

20171025_232431-1.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Mailman_Comics
Added more pics.

The # 1 of War is Hell (January 1973 Marvel) contains only reprints
the pages that you are showing came from the story:
"Decision at Dawn"
a six page story, pencils and Inks by Ayers
the story was originally published in Battlefront #30 April 1955 by Atlas

My guess, and is only a guess
is that the original pages had a different size / format that the one published in 1973
and had to be reworked (Stats) to the size that you have.
or the Original material no longer exist and they have to use stats.

Someone will share more light about reprint stories....

This are the pages published in War is Hell...

59f1d0a8f04ff_warishell1.jpg.b08d063905ba56b8d820bc44ad32d425.jpg59f1d0aad64a8_warishell1a.jpg.8442b78234586a7f7fc6a12ffd34cbbf.jpg59f1d0ac25a36_warishell1b.jpg.8b278929fad18ec2d0797748050f1291.jpg

25 minutes ago, wurstisart said:

They don't look like copies at all.

They look like the originals if you ask me.

No. You can see that the center 99% is one huge state, the shadow all the way around is the border of the stat. That's attached to standard bristol which forms the outer edge. Nonetheless a nice collecbible sort of item. No idea on value though, guess maybe $25-50/ea and 50% more for the title page.

Thanks for all the help guys. Wurstisart, I wish these were the originals, but some do have actual artwork along the edges of some of the stats though. Vodou, that's about where I was at as far as the value. I posted all 19, I believe these make up the entire War is Hell #1 comic minus the ad pages and letters.