• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value impact for partially detached cover?

10 posts in this topic

In terms of low grade GA keys, how much do you devalue a book when there is a partially detached cover (detached from one, but not both staples)?

Does partial detachment matter less for low grade (3.0 or lower) copies? Like does the detachment just lump in withal of the other defects/wear?

ill let the experts chime in on actual value impact but i love, LOVE, books that have detached covers but otherwise present like a midgrade.  the fact that its detached doesnt bother me in any way and i feel like i am getting a major discount on a book.  case in point...

Hourman.jpg

Edited by rainmaker

Just saw a  GA book with a partially detached cover, otherwise NM, with a CGC 7.0. 

59 minutes ago, rainmaker said:

the fact that its detached doesnt bother me in any way and i feel like i am getting a major discount on a book. 

Doesn’t bother me much either. 

810705A6-A294-4088-8356-06CC54257992.jpeg

Edited by ThothAmon

1 hour ago, rainmaker said:

ill let the experts chime in on actual value impact but i love, LOVE, books that have detached covers but otherwise present like a midgrade.  the fact that its detached doesnt bother me in any way and i feel like i am getting a major discount on a book.  case in point...

Hourman.jpg

I agree 100% on the love for this defect.  I believe a book won't ever go above 4.0 for a full detached.  

Edited by Knightsofold

These are great examples of books that would otherwise be nice mid-grade or better books, brought down by their detached-ness (ant thus present a good buying opportunity for those not dissuaded by detached covers)

I'm trying to figure out for a low grade book if I need to factor in a further value discount when it is also detached from bottom staple.

Edited by miraclemet

Well now that I've bought it, I can just show... As I said it was a low grade copy,but also has the cover detached at one staple. There's a tear on the reading edge, a little piece out of the top edge, and plenty of spine issues, but the money shot was in great shape so I pulled the trigger.

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Edited by miraclemet

I ended up using this as a comp, and was trying to figure out if I should offer less due to the cover being detached from the bottom staple.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/the-spirit-22-quality-1950-condition-fr-gd/a/121735-14493.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

3 hours ago, miraclemet said:

Well now that I've bought it, I can just show... As I said it was a low grade copy,but also has the cover detached at one staple. There's a tear on the reading edge, a little piece out of the top edge, and plenty of spine issues, but the money shot was in great shape so I pulled the trigger.

s-l1600 (2).jpg

good pickup.  I threw a why the hell not $500 offer on that which was clearly too low.

Edited by atomised

39 minutes ago, atomised said:

good pickup.  I threw a why the hell not $500 offer on that which was clearly too low.

He was on of the rare eBay sellers willing to come off his price more than a few bucks. I was willing to pay market-ish but not over.

4 hours ago, miraclemet said:

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Any copy of this book is a good copy! I don't think the fact that the cover is detached at one staple will affect the grade.