• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA Ranking in 10 years
1 1

29 posts in this topic

Action 1, Detective 27, Amazing Fantasy 15, Captain America 1, Superman 1.

"Desirable" as a notion is tricky: Hulk 181 might be considered the most desirable at a given point simply because large numbers of collectors can't even wrap their brains around ever owning the big, big books.

54 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Action 1, Detective 27, Amazing Fantasy 15, Captain America 1, Superman 1.

"Desirable" as a notion is tricky: Hulk 181 might be considered the most desirable at a given point simply because large numbers of collectors can't even wrap their brains around ever owning the big, big books.

Gotta gut feeling the Dark Knight eventually will be stepping up in the grand scheme of things.

And the legacy of AF15 will ascend further.

Thus:

Tec27

AF15

Action1

Bat1

Cap1

For me, it doesn't make sense to talk about the top books without including ALL books, but fine. I would put Marvel Comics 1 in there over Batman 1 all day. It's the umpteenth appearance of Batman, after all, but I won't be buying any of them anytime soon, so I guess whoever has the $$$ will be the ones to have the final say on what the top books are (and believe me, AF 15 is going to be there!).

Do you mean desirable or valuable?

I suspect that the most valuable books 10 years from now, owing to overall scarcity and complete rarity in high grade, will be:

Action 1

Detective 27

Superman 1

Marvel Comics 1

Batman 1

On the outside looking in will be:

Captain America 1

Amazing Fantasy 15

All-Star 8

BUT, in terms of desirability, e.g. the books most comic collectors are actively looking to add to their collections regardless of grade,  I suspect the list would likely not include any GA books at all, but relatively affordable 1960s-1980s books.

49 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Do you mean desirable or valuable?

I suspect that the most valuable books 10 years from now, owing to overall scarcity and complete rarity in high grade, will be:

Action 1

Detective 27

Superman 1

Marvel Comics 1

Batman 1

On the outside looking in will be:

Captain America 1

Amazing Fantasy 15

All-Star 8

BUT, in terms of desirability, e.g. the books most comic collectors are actively looking to add to their collections regardless of grade,  I suspect the list would likely not include any GA books at all, but relatively affordable 1960s-1980s books.

And that list of desirebility would look like ... ?

Edited by Mr bla bla

12 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

And that list of desirebility would look like ... ?

(1) Marque keys that are affordable because of the sheer quantity overall, especially in ower grades, and (2) books with huge nostalgia value and comic history import such that you gotta have one or you just aren't a real collector:  IH 180-182, Avengers 1, X-Men 1, Dark Knight 1-4, etc. 

What no love for Major Inapak making a strong push after Dr. Pepper/Snapple/Yoo-hoo bring back the Ovaltine-competitor, Inapak, chocolate mix for a retro-fit to their line of products.  And you thought those warehouse finds were fodder.

Oh and the Big Red Cheese will challenge his now DC super-powered JLAer for GA collectability dominance - Whiz soars again.

Someone's gotta step out and make some bold predictions.  lol 

7 hours ago, telerites said:

What no love for Major Inapak making a strong push after Dr. Pepper/Snapple/Yoo-hoo bring back the Ovaltine-competitor, Inapak, chocolate mix for a retro-fit to their line of products.  And you thought those warehouse finds were fodder.

Oh and the Big Red Cheese will challenge his now DC super-powered JLAer for GA collectability dominance - Whiz soars again.

Someone's gotta step out and make some bold predictions.  lol 

I actually think Whiz will soar again.  

I am going to stick to GA and measure desirability by this hypothetical: In the year 2,028, if a CGC blue label 2.0 copy of each book were made available for auction, in what order would they finish?

1. Action Comics #1

2. Detective Comics #27

3. Superman #1

4. Marvel Comics #1

5. Batman #1

6. Captain America Comics #1

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:
8 hours ago, telerites said:

I actually think Whiz will soar again.  

The Big Red Cheese and Whiz is definitely off the ground again, especially in comparison to a few years ago when he was more like 6 feet under.  lol

But I highly doubt he will be soaring into the Top 5 though.  Top 10 maybe since there is supposed to be some type of a movie coming out.  hm

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

The Big Red Cheese and Whiz is definitely off the ground again, especially in comparison to a few years ago when he was more like 6 feet under.  lol

But I highly doubt he will be soaring into the Top 5 though.  Top 10 maybe since there is supposed to be some type of a movie coming out.  hm

Good lord, I hope no Nicolas Cage as CM lol  They need to resurrect Tom Tyler.  

5 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

I am going to stick to GA and measure desirability by this hypothetical: In the year 2,028, if a CGC blue label 2.0 copy of each book were made available for auction, in what order would they finish?

1. Action Comics #1

2. Detective Comics #27

3. Superman #1

4. Marvel Comics #1

5. Batman #1

6. Captain America Comics #1

Switch Cap 1 for Marvel 1 and you have a deal :)  Not sure on that one actually........Im really starting to think in 10 years Tec 27 is going to make the leap to #1 (even though Im partial to AC 1)

23 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

You guys are so confused and not watching the trend right now...it's gonna look like this:

Action 1

Tec 27

Cinderella Love 25 (Don't believe me?  Try to find one...)

Strange Adventures 50

Suspense 3

:eyeroll:

I would put the Tec 27 before Action 1 and we have a ^^

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 2:30 PM, Funnybooks said:

Agreed...Tec 27 will surpass AC 1 due to scarcity and desirability 

Or since thinking outside the box was earlier clamored for, how about this: people realize that Batman is sort of a derivative character with no special powers and the gap WIDENS between Action 1 and Detective 27?

Batman is iconic enough, sure, but basically was a mish-mash of pulp characters of the day, while Superman is THE discontinuity and THE true spark to the powder keg that are comics (while, superhero comics).

And you did see those hundred or so covers, splashes and adventures which feature oversized cash registers and typewriters, right? And Rainbow Batman, Zebra Batman, Lucky Charms Batman...

(p.s. I know this should probably be posted in the unpopular opinions thread!)

Agree Batman no where near the significance of Superman as the impetus for Golden Age of Superheroes.  Current reputation still a product of Miller antihero days, but thats not playing as well anymore.  Seems like Marvel wins the movie world because they choose humor over grit.  Rash prediction: 10 years frim now we'll be back to a funnier more Marvel style Bstmsn movie reboot.  Probably wrong, but possible.  So don't write off Batman Indian Chief  yet. ?