• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA Ranking in 10 years
1 1

29 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Actually, collector's here bring up that fact about Batman #1 all the time (1st Joker, 1st Catwoman), the books got a lot of things going for it. Superman #1 is the first time ever an entire book was devoted to only one character, plus an expanded 2 page origin story and one of the most iconic covers ever. Also much rarer than Batman #1, especially in unrestored condition. I like both books. 

Edited by thedude

Popkulture is onto something.  

10 years from now, the influence and reverberation of all these movies will coalesce perfectly with the hunt for "first appearance" keys that is preferred among younger collectors.   This will create a perfect storm for such books, whether or not superhero movies are still bring cranked out then as they are now:l, so I am doing a little rogue with my picks:

Tec 27- (He's Batman)

Action 1- (Superman is not what he used to be and will be even less so in ten years)

AF 15- (Spidey, already competing with the biggest and far scarcer GA keys will only continue to soar to the stratosphere as this will be the closest thing to "affordable" for the guys chasing the biggest guns)

Captain America Comics 1- (The multiple, true first appearances and iconic cover will always keep it in the top 5)

Incredible Hulk 181- (Although the most common by far, its overall and absolute demand will continue to push its value in every single grade to shocking levels that requires its placement on a list like this)

Marvel comics 1 has already gone the way of Tec 1, and that trend will only escalate as the older guard ages out.  Cap 1 has already passed Bats 1 by some metrics. Superman 1, being essentially a book of reprints will lose it's lustre amongst the next, affluent generation as well but will always be a hard #6 or #7 (interchangeable with Bats 1).

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

A few thoughts on some of the things discussed in this thread:

I once argued that eventually, Tec #27 would surpass Action #1. As a 29 year-old collector in 2017, as someone whose generation loves Batman but often feels "blah" towards Superman, it stood to reason to me that when we rise to greater spending power, we will be more likely to invest into a character we love than a character we're indifferent towards and/or bored with.

My tastes differ from many "superhero fans" in my age group. I love Superman, I respect the hierarchy of old and I find many of the grails of yesteryear to be extremely desirable. It recently occurred to me that perhaps I'm more different than my age group than I am from GA comic collectors.

We are a unique group that has developed unique collecting tastes for different reasons. Yes, most people my age would pick Batman over Superman, but 99% of people my age will never buy a GA comic book. To be a GA collector is, usually, to have interest beyond just the characters themselves. I am interested in the history of the hobby: the development of comic books and the development of comic book collecting.

I am a bigger "fan" Iron Man than I am of the SA Flash, but as a collector, I'd rather have a Showcase #4 than a TOS #39 and it's not even close.

Where does that leave Action #1 vs. Tec #27? I could write a novel on that debate alone. Nearly 30 years of quality Batman memories lifts the importance and desirability of Tec #27, for me. But at the end of the day, Action #1 still has the slight edge. Batman can continue to grow in popularity, but he's competing against an even longer history of dominance with Superman. Superman was a catalyst for success during some of the most important times in comic book history.

Superman is an irreversible, indispensable pillar of comic book history. That carries weight beyond character preference and IMO, in the eyes of many GA collectors, that is one of the biggest reasons Action #1 has remained the most valuable book in the entire hobby DESPITE the undeniable gap that exists in current popularity between the two characters.

15 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Marvel comics 1 has already gone the way of Tec 1, and that trend will only escalate as the older guard ages out.  Cap 1 has already passed Bats 1 by some metrics. Superman 1, being essentially a book of reprints will lose it's lustre amongst the next, affluent generation as well but will always be a hard #6 or #7 (interchangeable with Bats 1).

-J.

Marvel #1 and Tec #1 are only comparable in some respects. The latter was not the first DC book, the latter did not feature any "superheroes", the latter's cover, though well known, is weighed down by offensive stereotype, something that will only escalate as younger generations take over the hobby.

If older collectors aging out of the hobby impacts the future hierarchy of the Top-10, by your reasoning, couldn't that knock Action #1 out of the Top-3? Batman (Tec #27), Captain America (Cap #1) and the Joker (Batman #1) are all far more popular amongst my generation (I'm 29) than Superman. If the scarcity of Superman #1 vs. Cap #1 isn't enough to keep Superman #1 on top of Cap #1, theoretically Batman #1 could jump ahead of Action #1.

For reasons stated in my previous post, I think the hierarchy of old will 1) not only be tougher to shift than you'd think but 2) might actually come back into play in future years.

See: Whiz #2 (#1) as an example of this.

1 hour ago, Wayne-Tec said:

Marvel #1 and Tec #1 are only comparable in some respects. The latter was not the first DC book, the latter did not feature any "superheroes", the latter's cover, though well known, is weighed down by offensive stereotype, something that will only escalate as younger generations take over the hobby.

If older collectors aging out of the hobby impacts the future hierarchy of the Top-10, by your reasoning, couldn't that knock Action #1 out of the Top-3? Batman (Tec #27), Captain America (Cap #1) and the Joker (Batman #1) are all far more popular amongst my generation (I'm 29) than Superman. If the scarcity of Superman #1 vs. Cap #1 isn't enough to keep Superman #1 on top of Cap #1, theoretically Batman #1 could jump ahead of Action #1.

For reasons stated in my previous post, I think the hierarchy of old will 1) not only be tougher to shift than you'd think but 2) might actually come back into play in future years.

See: Whiz #2 (#1) as an example of this.

Actually whiz is just an additional example of the impact of the movies IMO.  How relevant or enduring will the character end up being in that regard?  Time will tell.  But if you notice, my logic was two pronged for how and why I made my list as I did, and is actually not entirely inconsistent with your points (although I disagree about Bats 1, villain first appearances < hero appearances, and that includes the joker and Spider-Man and wolverine are both more popular than he is IMO).

-J.

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

Actually whiz is just an additional example of the impact of the movies IMO.  How relevant or enduring will the character end up being in that regard?  Time will tell.  But if you notice, my logic was two pronged for how and why I made my list as I did, and is actually not entirely inconsistent with your points (although I disagree about Bats 1, villain first appearances < hero appearances, and that includes the joker and Spider-Man and wolverine are both more popular than he is IMO).

-J.

I think Whiz #2 has been impacted, to a degree, by movie hype. But 2019 is a little bit distant, so I'm not sure to what degree that correlates (some I'm sure).

Did More Fun #73 pick up steam before or after the DCU pointed toward Aquaman? I don't think the TV show Arrow made much of an impact on the book.

As I predicted years ago, Tec #38 is back and there's no Robin film hype driving that.

How much of an impact did Man of Steel have on Action #1? Before the mixed reviews, I'm sure it helped to an extent. Personally, I really like Cavill as Superman, but I'm in the minority. Action #1, despite decline in Superman's popularity, despite mixed views towards his on screen incarnation, continues to soar.

Edited by Wayne-Tec

3 hours ago, szavisca said:

The greatest impact of the current movie craze on these books may not be felt for 20 or 30 years (or at worst it may take longer than that amount of time for it to die down).

Just wait till today's 10-20 year old millionaires in the making learning these characters from today's movies, or the Christian Bale batman movies a decade ago, turn 40-50 and have money to spend and get nostalgic about their youth.

Who knows, maybe some of the action 1 craze today is technically being driven by love for Superman borne from Christopher Reeves' portrayal ...

There could be some truth to that. But will the Bale films retain the same sense of nostalgia as the Reeve films? I was a fan of the Nolan trilogy: enjoying the good and taking note of the bad while not letting the plot holes ruin the experience. The original Superman films were ground breaking though.

6 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

There could be some truth to that. But will the Bale films retain the same sense of nostalgia as the Reeve films? I was a fan of the Nolan trilogy: enjoying the good and taking note of the bad while not letting the plot holes ruin the experience. The original Superman films were ground breaking though.

I am still a fan of the Fleischer animation series and although the serials were not great, I thought Kirk Alyn was a very good Supes.  Bud Collyer nailed the voice on the OTR shows and the b/w seasons of The Adventures of Superman with George Reeves (much grittier, imo) are still ones I rewatch.  I didn't grow up with those as I am 53 and do love the first Christopher Reeve film but I do wonder how generational it becomes.  I am an oddball with nostalgia to the early media and especially OTR and the serials.

Supes and other heroes being so much in the public eye anymore I believe goes a long way to momentum but for me anyway, I wonder to what extent market saturation, nostalgia, etc. drives prices by such factors.  Heck, most folks thought Mitch was nuts in the early for spending $1,801 on that Action 1.

3 hours ago, telerites said:

I am still a fan of the Fleischer animation series and although the serials were not great, I thought Kirk Alyn was a very good Supes.  Bud Collyer nailed the voice on the OTR shows and the b/w seasons of The Adventures of Superman with George Reeves (much grittier, imo) are still ones I rewatch.  I didn't grow up with those as I am 53 and do love the first Christopher Reeve film but I do wonder how generational it becomes.  I am an oddball with nostalgia to the early media and especially OTR and the serials.

Supes and other heroes being so much in the public eye anymore I believe goes a long way to momentum but for me anyway, I wonder to what extent market saturation, nostalgia, etc. drives prices by such factors.  Heck, most folks thought Mitch was nuts in the early for spending $1,801 on that Action 1.

I can relate to that. Adam West's Batman was a part of my childhood growing up in the early 1990s, ditto for Reeve as Superman. It doesn't have to be from your decade to be nostalgic.

Edited by Wayne-Tec