• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So, abandoned storage units - anyone bought one?
1 1

28 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, dOubleO said:

I don't follow her but I saw this while surfing YT and What do you think about the shop's offer on the comics? Though not all was shown

I think he paid for advertising on Youtube.  Her channel has 3 + million subscribers and gets over 1 million views on her first day of posting a new video.  She used to work for Buzzfeed and created ladylike.  So she already had a following.

As for the comics, I am not sure what he purchased as you only see Origins and a few Batman hush comics.  It literally was 5-6 books in the "good" pile.  So I was baffled that the offer was over $100.  When she mentions getting around $300 in they owned a store was ok but look at all that work they put into making a few bucks. 

Edited by nocutename

5 hours ago, nocutename said:

I think he paid for advertising on Youtube.  Her channel has 3 + million subscribers and gets over 1 million views on her first day of posting a new video.  She used to work for Buzzfeed and created ladylike.  So she already had a following.

As for the comics, I am not sure what he purchased as you only see Origins and a few Batman hush comics.  It literally was 5-6 books in the "good" pile.  So I was baffled that the offer was over $100.  When she mentions getting around $300 in they owned a store was ok but look at all that work they put into making a few bucks. 

I think all the profits are in the shopping cart :D

I spied a Hulk 449 at one point that wasn't in the "he likes" pile.. so who knows how other many keys either weren't disclosed or maybe it was in terrible shape.  To get the 430+ comics he probably did OK since most of it was bagged and boarded (at least somewhat protected). 

Do not go into buying storage units if you do not have a way to offload the items.  Out of the entire unit you are likely to only find two to three things of actual value the rest is junk.  My advice is to set-up an account with Goodwill fill out the donation forms and double print them, set up a drop off time so the actual store manager can stamp/sign both copies (they keep one, you keep one) and hand 10k worth of on paper donations to your accountant which will be knocked down to what ever seems appropriate.  Being that you are claiming Goodwill value instead of your paid value this could be seen as "alternatively juridical" dependent on your perception, discuss with your accountant as needed.

When you buy lots at estate sales, you are expected to take everything. While there is no deposit to insure that you do, failure to remove everything gets you on the bad side of the Selling Agents, someplace a regular does not want to be. So you quickly learn that there are a few regulars at these sale who never buy anything, but instead simply take peoples unwanted stuff. As an example, I was at the estate sale of a man who worked as Debby Reynolds agent, along with many other clients.  Bought a stack of movie posters, some framed, some with plastic bags and cardboard backs. There were a dozen Andy Williams promo posters, not signed and in cheap frames.  I simply gave them to one of these people.  At another sale I bought a  box of loose 1980s GI Joes, many of them broken, in order to get six Transformers that were in the lot as well.  Gave the Joes to a guy who runs a small flea market booth.  When developing a strategy for these sales, it's essential to factor in what you are doing with the unwanted stuff.  

I hear what you are all saying and 100% agree.

I have a 1% expectation of finding a haul of comics or games that will be worth anything.

It's for the thrill of the chase - and I'm aware most will be full of drek, so as I stated before, I have strict rules before even thinking about buying one.

1) Nothing larger than I can fit in the boot of my car - so no furniture, fridges etc. Those units are out.

2) There is a charity shop less than 2km away - all unsellable (but unbroken and clean) stuff can be dropped off there

3) Any non-comic stuff of value can go to a local auctioneer where I have an account - just drop it off and they put it in a sale.

4) Utter trash will just go in the bin

I am looking at one storage unit. It is half full of taped up plastic containers about 45cm x 60 cm. There is a visable remote controlled truck, and a large book clearly marked 'autographs', plus very large stuffed toys x 2 (off to charity shop!!) . So I'm hoping that the owner may also have collected the odd comic or Atari etc as well.

There is no furniture or white goods, so mostly everything is smallish, sealed and completely unknown, but the autograph book suggests sports or TV/Music interest - and comics/ video games aren't too much of a stretch from there.

And yes, I'm sure if I buy it, it will be full of old socks and ties, all packed into plastic containers!!

It's for a bit of fun, if I find something, great. It's also very cheap as there aren't many bidders (on every unit) as it's still a new concept here.

If not, and it's a pain to do all the shifting, then I probably won't do it again very often, if ever.

But whilst it's really quite new here, and therefore not many bidders, probably best I have a go now than later.

As I said in my opening post - I only got on to this as someone contacted me via one of my 'wanted to buy' ads - selling comics that they bought out of a unit on the same site I'm looking at.  So they are out there.

Comics are still not sought after in Australia - the vast majority of folks don't realise that there is value in them, so I find most of mine in house clearance sales or via my WTB ads. People seem to just leave them in a box or in the attic.

But I am still aware that its a 100-1 shot - at best!

It hit $200 so I didn't bother bidding.

Now I'm wondering what was in it!

I guess that's the whole point - "what was in the box"

Maybe next time!