• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing stats -whats your opinion?

4 posts in this topic

Looking for your 2 cents.  

I have a piece of art where the character is a stat, but there is art underneath.  Most likely its the same image slightly smaller or shifted a bit.  

Was considering having the piece restored professionally - but wanted opinions if removing a stat to show the art was a good idea or not.

Again - it would be done by a professional. So it would look nice.  My question arises because now the cover will likely not look 100% as published since the published piece relied on the stat.

What do you think?

Edited by Panelfan1

The piece is what it is. If it was me, I'd more than likely leave it alone.

Sure you can peel the stat off and see what's under there. What if you don't like what you see? Not just the drawing, but the condition of the glue under the stat?
You glue it back on and have altered the original's condition for nothing, I suppose...

Or you peel it up and like it better, but now it doesn't look like the published work it was used to create.
So you see more of the line drawing, but it's no longer the "published page" for the purpose of semantics. It was edited for a purpose.

And if you do re-glue it on there, do you plan on disclosing that to the next owner, so they know the original was tampered with?

But it's hard to say for certain how I'd react. Might just depend on the exact piece.

Have you tossed it on a super bright lightbox to see if you can get any sense of what's under there without pulling it totally off?
I've never tried that, but it would probably be my first thought.

Well that and...

Edited by ESeffinga

Personally, I would absolutely do it if there was original art underneath.  Well not me, but I would get a professional.  Then I would carefully store the stat away since it was still part of the production process.