• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buying raw is a real minefield.

47 posts in this topic

the seller ended the auction becasue of a mistake in the listing... its obvious u had a effect on hom to do that...i can see the color touch in thors knee.. but are u guys sure about the other color touch u discribe...when u blow the book up in hiogh scan u can really see the wrinkles.... all the reason to buy cgc books only on ebay

Yeah, the seller emailed me and said that he was pulling the auction because he wasn't able to edit the desciption. Seems like a nice guy and said that there was no bleed through and it looked like paint not marker. Hope he re-lists it with the proper info....

but not for the 4 inch crease or whatever and the color touch, that should be a fine

OGG probably lets you have a fine with a 4 inch crease, though CGC won't

putting aside the CT issue,

if that's not a crease and, instead, is an indent from, let's say, someone writing on a piece of paper on top of the comic, is an indent not as bad as a crease? i tend to view it as not being as bad, but that's just my opinion.

certainly easier to press out i would think. :-)

"We feel The Incredible Hulk #118 is in near mint condition."

"Feel", huh? That's the problem with Cali. liberals -- always making decisions on how they feel rather than based on the facts. poke2.gif

"Feel", huh? That's the problem with Cali. liberals -- always making decisions on how they feel rather than based on the facts. poke2.gif

Geez, and how many scans do you need for an $8 comic! 27_laughing.gif

Have a look at this auction. They say it is near mint, nice.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&?ViewItem&item=6535115550

893scratchchin-thumb.gif well yet again I don't have any problems with this auction. They provide enough pictures of the book for any seasoned collector to make a determination that its about FN. confused-smiley-013.gif Much rather that than the postage stamp scan at guaranteed NM+ foreheadslap.gif

The problem with buying raw comics on ebay is the fact that many people can't grade. Which is shown in that auction.

Of course, I agree this auction isn't too bad as several images are shown.

The problem with buying raw comics on ebay is the fact that many people can't grade. Which is shown in that auction.

I think a bigger problem is people lieing about the grade

Exactly. Why be honest and try to accurately grade the comic, when we can just SAY it's NM and provide the scans that prove otherwise? Heck, nobody will bid if we say it's FINE. Besides, more people will look if it says NM.

foreheadslap.gif

Why be honest and try to accurately grade the comic, when we can just SAY it's NM and provide the scans that prove otherwise? Heck, nobody will bid if we say it's FINE. Besides, more people will look if it says NM.

Because some of us have a conscious...

Jim

if the seller picked up an OPG and read the "near mint" definition and determined that all of the allowable defects are allowed in large quanities, then i could see making this determination. OPG is a bit confusing to a newbie.

nah, i think the problem is false descriptions and small scans.

a certain regular seller here who is being temporarily shunned regularly overgraded his books by 1/2 - 1 full grade (sure, these things are all a matter of opinion). but he did fine with great feedback because he gave extremely large scans so anyone could see exactly what they were getting. you couldn't really justify getting a book that looked just like the scan and say "that's no VF!"

anyway, would there be anything wrong with this auction if NO grade was given and you were asked to judge for yourself?

or they just said "gorgeous" or some other useless word?

Why people bid on Raw auctions on Ebay:

Buyers hope of finding a hidden gem from a naive seller 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Could this be legit 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Maybe this seller has some hidden gems and needs cash 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

etc. etc. etc...

No matter how big or small, clear or unclear a scan is, as long as there is a chance of getting a deal people will mostly bid in the hope of getting a steal.

Yup buying Raw on Ebay is a minefield, sometimes you loose, sometimes you win, dishonest sellers have figured this out and they get more and more creative, while the descent ones loose hope.

Why be honest and try to accurately grade the comic, when we can just SAY it's NM and provide the scans that prove otherwise? Heck, nobody will bid if we say it's FINE. Besides, more people will look if it says NM.

Because some of us have a conscious...

Jim

gossip.gif Agreed. I was being sarcastic.

boo.gif

Have a look at this auction. They say it is near mint, nice.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&?ViewItem&item=6535115550

893scratchchin-thumb.gif well yet again I don't have any problems with this auction. They provide enough pictures of the book for any seasoned collector to make a determination that its about FN. confused-smiley-013.gif Much rather that than the postage stamp scan at guaranteed NM+ foreheadslap.gif

I agree in one aspect. I would love everyone to have such huge scans of books. I pretty much ignore grades given by sellers anyways and make my own determination.

of course, if you want to buy a "fine" copy of hulk 118, like the one being sold, you're unlikely to find it sold in a slab (do we expect sellers to spend $25 slabbing $8-12 books?)

so, either your LCS has it, or schlep to a show, or you pay triple guide from mile high or you buy it on ebay

really, buying raw high grade books on ebay is the minefield

for fine and less i've found it to be a wash in terms of "just right", "overgraded" and "undergraded"

Geez, you guys are sharp to notice that stuff. After looking myself, the first thing I saw that looked like CT was the scrape along the upper edge above the word "OF". Looks like someone colored in a large blotch of no color with a felt marker.