• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MARVEL FINALLY GETS EVERYTHING BACK EXCEPT SPIDERMAN????

42 posts in this topic

Let's go Disney, Unite the clans, UNITE US (Braveheart quote ;) )

FF and X-Men back in the MCU if this goes down, X-Men comics no longer being dumped on?  Let's go!

Edited by CBT

Why would they (Disney specifically) want to do the deal anytime soon?

- Disney has a successful (very very successful) universe built with a specific outline for the next 10 years

- Making a movie like Fantastic Four into a success is nearly impossible at this point (the damage is done)

- Fox won't give up specific characters...they'll only do the deal if it's all or nothing

- Disney would benefit greater by trying to obtain the Sony and Universal character rights (that should be top priority over Fox)

Edited by AnthonyTheAbyss
Werds

13 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

- Disney has a successful (very very successful) universe built with a specific outline for the next 10 years

- Making a movie like Fantastic Four into a success is nearly impossible at this point (the damage is done)

- Fox won't give up specific characters...they'll only do the deal if it's all or nothing

- Disney would benefit greater by trying to obtain the Sony and Universal character rights (that should be top priority over Fox)

The Marvel rights arent the reason, just an added bonus.

Disney wants to start its own major streaming service, and they want as much content for it as possible, hence buying fox.

2 hours ago, CBT said:

The Marvel rights arent the reason, just an added bonus.

Disney wants to start its own major streaming service, and they want as much content for it as possible, hence buying fox.

This.

I know we're all comic book geeks, but the comic book properties were a footnote here. Disney was playing for the tons of other Fox IP.

Also - misleading title. Universal still holds partial claim to any solo Hulk title.

30 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

This.

I know we're all comic book geeks, but the comic book properties were a footnote here. Disney was playing for the tons of other Fox IP.

Also - misleading title. Universal still holds partial claim to any solo Hulk title.

And Namor. Feige made that clear two years ago they couldn't move forward with their standalone movie supposedly in the works - but neither could Marvel.

17 minutes ago, reddwarf666222 said:

Speaking as a person who sponsors indie theaters this would be the worst thing that could happen. That would prevent so many theaters from showing older titles. As well as disney treats theater owners like .

Agree, monopolies are generally bad for everyone except the monopolizer (is that a word?).  its better to have streaming competition too, keep the prices down and the technology improving.  I'm sure Disney wants more content, but they actually have a ton already, especially if they actually make their old Disney stuff available instead of hiding it in vaults.  Additionally, they could release all the additional DVD features on all the movies they own too (I don't know how the rights work with those things), but for some 2 hour movies that's like 50 hours worth of additional content.  The real question is if they'll be greedy and try to keep ESPN (and their other sports stuff) packaged separately.

hell if their smart about it, they can even make marvel comics accessible through the app too, or whatever magazines they own.

19 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Disney actually needs a deal like this in the near future, as their original IP (including Mickey Mouse) begins to revert to the public domain starting on Jan. 1, 2019.

15 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Disney actually needs a deal like this in the near future, as their original IP (including Mickey Mouse) begins to revert to the public domain starting on Jan. 1, 2019.

Assuming they don’t get another extension it’s only going to apply to any older Disney works that would then fall into public domain based on their release date.

The characters themselves will continue to be protected from others using them in new material by those pesky trademark laws that Disney will continue to enforce.

I think a lot of people still don’t understand the differences in copyrights and trademarks.

Having older Disney material fall into public domain isn’t going to help the consumer it just means someone else other than Disney could sell you a DVD or comic book of whatever older Mickey Mouse material is now in public domain. Someone else other than Disney could make a buck off it. 

FYI, there is NO LIMIT on trademark laws if the person keeps them active. 

So no New Mickey Mouse (or others) material/film/etc. not by Disney will ever be possible.

Edited by N e r V

I thought of this after I saw Thor Ragnarok, so I'm calling it now.

After the Infinity War and the death/end of all the Marvel Cinematic universe happens (and we're all sad/glad),

Marvel/Disney starts over with:....

You guessed it, The Fantastic Four, and just like in the Silver Age of comics, some of the heroes from the "Golden Age" (the Infinity war Universe) will be brought back/have guest appearances. 

Boom!

1 minute ago, Knightsofold said:

I thought of this after I saw Thor Ragnarok, so I'm calling it now.

After the Infinity War and the death/end of all the Marvel Cinematic universe happens (and we're all sad/glad),

Marvel/Disney starts over with:....

You guessed it, The Fantastic Four, and just like in the Silver Age of comics, some of the heroes from the "Golden Age" (the Infinity war Universe) will be brought back/have guest appearances. 

Boom!

I don’t know what you’re smoking but I want some...:nyah: