• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the general cutoff points for high, mid and low grade?
2 2

64 posts in this topic

On 11/11/2017 at 2:48 PM, valiantman said:

Right, but that wouldn't be specific to any particular grades. Those reasons would eliminate comics of all conditions. Low grade comics were thrown out for an additional reason that isn't applicable to mid and high grades. It's why the population numbers are "middle heavy"... low grade didn't survive the eyeball test as often.

Population numbers are skewed by the value of many books not making slabbing attractive until one gets to mid or even high grade. Take a look at a book which gets slabbed in nearly every grade, and for which there are high population numbers. The median grade for an AF #15 is 3.5 unrestored, and 4.0 for all copies. You can find similar breakdowns for the few GA key books in which at least 100 copies have been slabbed. Sure, total rags may have gotten tossed more readily than books that looked barely read, but for most of these books there are going to be as many unrestored copies in 2.0 or less than there are in 4.0 or better, and when you consider that restored copies generally have improved grades over their unrestored state, it would seem "low grade" is more common than any other range.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:46 AM, s14roller said:

I suppose the answer to the OP is, as we've seen from this thread it depends on collector.  For me:

Low = 0.0-3.5

Mid = 4.0 - 6.5

High = 8.0+

Problem is, what do I call 7.0-7.5?  ???  Seems too high to be called mid-grade, and too low to be called high-grade.  

I think 7.0-7.5 is mid grade but there is a difference to me buying a 7.5 ASM 432 and a ASM 33. One I don't want and the other I would be ecstatic to own. Grade is secondary.

On 11/14/2017 at 4:20 AM, mysterio said:

This is conflating “high grade” and “desirable”. An 8.0 book from 1962 is both, while an 8.0 book from 1995 is high grade but not desirable. I’m in the camp that “high grade” is not dependent on the age of the book. 

Agree on this.  Age should not be a factor in determining grade.

Edited by oakman29