• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone else hate those self stick bags.

35 posts in this topic

I was checking a book I just received that came in one of those self-sealing bags with the glue strip that runs under the flap, and absently laid the bag on top of a low grade book I had received in the mail without a bag (tsk), and hadn't gotten around to bagging yet. Of course the bag stuck to the comic and now the other book has narrow 3" long color pull.:pullhair:

Fortunately it wasn't of any great value, and lower grade already, but it's irritating. You'd think I d learn as just a few weeks ago I put a a book in one of those bags on top of a total beater that wasn't bagged, and even closed, enough of the sticky stripe was exposed at the edge of the flap to catch a tear in the beater and nearly rip the top of the cover off when I picked the bagged book back up. .

Those stupid bags are going in the trash from now on.

2 minutes ago, rjpb said:
32 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Self stick bags pizz me off more than those thinny-thin mylites!!!!  :sumo: 

The ones that split along the seam when you put a board in at the wrong angle?

Yes.  And they split apart in the rigors of shipping and spray the books into the tape.

9 minutes ago, pjray55 said:

The most frustrating thing to me was trying to bag a bunch of books with them.  Try throwing away that strip that protects the adhesive.  It is designed with static cling and they go everywhere except in the trash.  Never again!

When I first got back into collecting I decided to rebag and board all my comics ~1200.  I researched different bags but unfortunately i didn't come across mylite2 and fullbacks until landing at this forum. What I did find was those self sealing bags on amazon.  I thought they were the greatest thing: quality poly bag, resealable flaps, and NO TAPE to buy, tear, or worry about getting stuck to my comics. Just easy on easy off right?

Ah the naivety of youth (still am). So there I was with my deteriorating long boxes I had begun replacing with BCW long boxes and drawer boxes. Hours of pealing that thin plastic strip off and struggling with the static cling to throw it away.  By the 3rd hour I had just given up trying to throw each one in the trash and just let them be on my hands. By the time I was done I was covered in them. I had at least 20 clinging and hanging off each hand, they were on my arms, legs, my butt. I just got up walked over to my shop vac shedding strips as I walked and vacuumed all those little b*st*rds up.

Later I learned of the dangers of the sticky strip. I've since switched over to mylite2 and fullbacks using the tape tab method where you fold half the piece of tape back onto itself to use as a pullback tab. Never suffered tape pull again.

Another piece of advice: when unbagging your comics, always try to do it on an uncluttered area or table allowing for plenty of space to place your unbagged comics away from your bag and board pile to prevent these types of accidents.

42 minutes ago, pjray55 said:

The most frustrating thing to me was trying to bag a bunch of books with them.  Try throwing away that strip that protects the adhesive.  It is designed with static cling and they go everywhere except in the trash.  Never again!

that's really my only problem with them. I actually like them quite a bit for a quick/cheap option when bagging up a bunch of things that aren't really meant for the long-term collection. I've never had any issue with the sticky part getting stuck to a book. However, yes, those little peeled-away strips are annoying as hell. After I've bagged a couple hundred books, I'll still be finding them weeks later, stuck to the underside of the couch, etc.

Just now, The Resurrection said:

I know, but when your flap sticks to your bag.. Well, it's just frustrating.

Jeebus - is nothing sacred?   :p

Pervert.

I don't understand why people don't just carefully tuck the flaps in.  Tape has no business being around comics at home, except when you are shipping something.