• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

.5 Universal $100,000 Club

44 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Guessing this club would be exclusive to Action 1 owners?   Maybe Tec 27 ?  What's the next book to join this club and how many years/decades down the road?  Anyone here own an Action 1 or Tec 27  .5  Blue ??

If a nice 0.5 blue label Tec #27 hit the market, it would exceed 100K in my opinion.

21 hours ago, thedude said:

I would  say Superman #1 would be there  before too long.  probably 2-3 years from now.

That's probably the last book for quite a while at the rate things are progressing.  I'd give Supes 1 five years to hit the 100k mark.  Next in line are probably Bats 1 and Cap 1 in about 20-25 years ?? 

37 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

That's probably the last book for quite a while at the rate things are progressing.  I'd give Supes 1 five years to hit the 100k mark.  Next in line are probably Bats 1 and Cap 1 in about 20-25 years ?? 

Batman #1 and Cap #1 are definitely next in line popularity/demand wise, but that interest is distributed amongst the number of copies in existence.

After Superman #1, and this would take a while, I think Marvel #1 would be the next in line for 100K at 0.5.

Supply a big factor in hitting six-figures for these types of books.

6 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

Batman #1 and Cap #1 are definitely next in line popularity/demand wise, but that interest is distributed amongst the number of copies in existence.

After Superman #1, and this would take a while, I think Marvel #1 would be the next in line for 100K at 0.5.

Supply a big factor in hitting six-figures for these types of books.

Maybe just the first printing in October :baiting:

20 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Maybe just the first printing in October :baiting:

You would think that considering how tough October copies are to find, they'd sell at a considerable premium. Dealers who have sold copies would be qualified than me to comment on this, but I believe it's only been a slight premium.

The reason, IMO, is because Marvel #1 is so tough to find regardless that buyers don't get too worked up about OCT/NOV. Similar to Superman #1 in that respect.

At the high grade level, Cap #1 and Batman #1 could break records. But in the lower grade level, knowing that books like Cap #1 and Batman #1 are plentiful by comparison, I see Superman #1 and Marvel #1 (regardless of which printing) to be the next two in line, in that order, to crack 100K in 0.5.

On the census now-

Marvel Comics 1, 0.5- 4

Superman 1, 0.5- 7

Batman 1, 0.5- 11

Captain America Comics 1, 0.5- 2

My predictions for this topic barring any additional economic crash and burns:

Superman 1 in 5-7 years

Captain America Comics 1 in ~10 years

Marvel Comics 1- Never (not enough demand)

Batman 1- Never (way too many)

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

2 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

On the census now-

Marvel Comics 1, 0.5- 4

Superman 1, 0.5- 7

Batman 1, 0.5- 11

Superman 1 in 5-7 years

-J.

I don't like to say "never", especially when all of the books listed above are as important as they are.

The supply of Cap #1, though not as common as Batman #1, is still high enough to make 100K in 0.5 tough.

Demand for Marvel #1 may not be as high as the two aforementioned, but it's historical significance is greater and supply is much, much less.

With that said, demand has still spiked for the book, however quietly.

The 7.5 Billy Wright sold for $113,525 in 2012. In 2016, a 3.0 non-pedigree copy sold for $77,675. If a 7.5 pedigree was a 113K book in 2012, what would the 3.0 non-pedigree have been worth in 2012: 30-40K? Tough to say with such a limited supply, unlike Cap #1 and Batman #1, we don't have the opportunity to see how much copies would sell for at any given moment in various grades.

The last Marvel #1 0.5 sold for $22,705 two and a half years ago. How much would that sell for today? 30-40K? With the 3.0 selling for $77,675 last year, I think 30-40K for a 0.5 in 2017-18 sounds about right.

Given the limited supply, could that value triple within the next 10 years? I don't think that's beyond the realm of reason.

Edited by Wayne-Tec

4 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

On the census now-

Marvel Comics 1, 0.5- 4

Superman 1, 0.5- 7

Batman 1, 0.5- 11

Superman 1 in 5-7 years

-J.

Many of the restored copies likely started out as 0.5s

27 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Respectfully, measuring the number of 0.5's on the census doesn't paint the entire picture here. Just talking blue labels...

In 0.5 there are 2 Cap #1s, 4 Marvel #1s and 11 Batman #1s.

But in 0.5-2.0 there are 6 Marvel #1s, 14 Cap #1s and 41 Batman #1s.

Of all blue labels, there are 27 Marvel #1s, 75 Cap #1s and 100 Batman #1s.

3 Cap #1s for every Marvel #1.

4 Batman #1s for every Marvel #1.

Due to demand, there's more incentive to slab Cap #1s and Batman #1s + old school collectors keeping their Marvel #1s raw (speculation on my end), I'd estimate there to be 5-10 copies of Cap #1/Batman #1 for every copy of Marvel #1.

Edited by Wayne-Tec

31 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

My Tec 27 was a fair/good when I bought it from Gerber now 4.5 E :makepoint: Batman 1 was vg/fine now 8.5 restored :makepoint: Tec 1 was vg/fine now 8.0E :makepoint:

Cause of people like me getting there books restored have made the .05 worth what they are right.

10 hours ago, woowoo said:

My Tec 27 was a fair/good when I bought it from Gerber now 4.5 E :makepoint: Batman 1 was vg/fine now 8.5 restored :makepoint: Tec 1 was vg/fine now 8.0E :makepoint:

Cause of people like me getting there books restored have made the .05 worth what they are right.

Tec27 Cgc 1.5 blue = Cgc 4.5 Ext restoration

Bat1 Cgc 5.0 blue = Cgc 8.5 restored (Ext?)

Tec1 Cgc 5.0 blue = Cgc 8.0 Ext restoration.

That certainly makes extensive books more relevant for me. I have gone back and forth on this. But If a segment of the Ext-books are only raised approx. 3 grading points, - in that case Id be all over such books in general. Just sayin

13 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

Bat1 Cgc 5.0 blue = Cgc 8.5 restored (Ext?)

Tec1 Cgc 5.0 blue = Cgc 8.0 Ext restoration.

Never in a million years. Utterly ridiculous.

A 5.0 blue would go up to a 9.0+ slight pro ( and I doubt any reputable pro restorer in the business would even accept such a submission )

A pro restorer will take a 0.5-1.5 and take it up to 8.0/8.5 ext pro

Edited by Gotham Kid

9 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

A 5.0 blue would go up to a 9.0+ slight pro ( and I doubt any reputable pro restorer in the business would even accept such a submission )

So you disagree with WooWoo's experiences?

10 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

So you disagree with WooWoo's experiences?

Harold may very well have picked up already restored books that were subsequently brought to higher grades thru additional resto (that took them to the extensive level )

I have several restored Tecs and held many discussions with Kenny ( from CCS ) and Susan about levels of restoration.

No way a 5.0 universal would go to 8.5 ext. Just no way.

Edited by Gotham Kid

2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

A pro restorer will take a 0.5-1.5 and take it up to 8.0/8.5 ext pro

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

Harold may very well have picked up already restored books that were subsequently brought to higher grades thru additional resto (that took them to the extensive level )

I have several restored Tecs and held many discussions with Kenny ( from CCS ) and Susan about levels of restoration.

No way a 5.0 universal would go to 8.5 ext. Just no way.

Wrong Peter. I know my grades  and you forget this was 35/40 years ago Restoration was new and just starting. Susan was not even learning from Bill yet that i know of.

I don't think there where yellow pages,  I know there was no push button phones. Tv had ears no cable.  No money Restoring Batman 1s that i was buying for $250 Fantasy 15's that you could buy 20 at any con for $200 or less each

I also would point out i did pick up restored books back than yes but they had marker's that bled thru/crayon Restoration.

I know you cant compare Restoration 40 years ago 1977 to 1980 to today and that's what you did. Kenny might not have been born yet (shrug) There was No  reputable pro restorer back than, not for comic book's  other than  William/Bill Sarill that i did not know that good.  They did what they could back than No slight Mod Ex just what ever they could do it was not a business back than like it is now. I don't know how you can say ( Never in a million years. Utterly ridiculous ) You are wrong but still hope your my pal :wishluck:

Edited by woowoo