• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

.5 Universal $100,000 Club

44 posts in this topic

Times have changed now for restoration since its infancy. Back then it was "ok" to restore a vg/fn book or higher just to make it look as perfect as possible. Practically everyone in the business practiced this since it was the "in" thing to do from what I have read. 

Now of course professional restoration experts will not even restore a book higher than a fair/good, what Peter said, because it isn't needed and doesn't help it's value.

26 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Times have changed now for restoration since its infancy. Back then it was "ok" to restore a vg/fn book or higher just to make it look as perfect as possible. Practically everyone in the business practiced this since it was the "in" thing to do from what I have read. 

Now of course professional restoration experts will not even restore a book higher than a fair/good, what Peter said, because it isn't needed and doesn't help it's value.

Yes it was. Restoring a book brought the value up not down back than.

3 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Harold may very well have picked up already restored books that were subsequently brought to higher grades thru additional resto (that took them to the extensive level )

I have several restored Tecs and held many discussions with Kenny ( from CCS ) and Susan about levels of restoration.

No way a 5.0 universal would go to 8.5 ext. Just no way.

Ive seen Ext (P) books raised 5 grade points - approx. Just sayin 

2 hours ago, woowoo said:

Yes it was. Restoring a book brought the value up not down back than.

Yeah, you’re most probably right Harold. Shame how times have changed and stigma of a restored book what it is.

I am more assured then, that resto artists have raised their standards and have set restrictions to what can and will be restored. (thumbsu

I wouldn’t even dream of restoring anything above 1.5

Edited by Gotham Kid

43 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

Ive seen Ext (P) books raised 5 grade points - approx. Just sayin 

Back than there was only good condition fine and mint NO 2.0 or 6.0. My Tec 27 was sold to me by Gerber as fair/good that would be 1.5 today right. So how did I only get a 1.5 to a 4.5 Ex.  Peter said today it would be a lot higher of a grade . ( A pro restorer will take a 0.5-1.5 and take it up to 8.0/8.5 ext pro ) why did I only get a 4.5 E. I tell you why back than that's all they could do that's why if I had book redone today I would hope that they could undo some resto and redo other and I get a 8.0 Mod :idea: :wishluck: Batman 1 if I remember right Steve at Metro sold me this thru CBG buyers guide back in 1981as vg/fine and he told me than that he thinks there should be a 10 point system. this is years before CGC. I remember this talk with him a 10 point system back in 1981. He was the first person to bring this up. I never would have thought that.   I wanted to resell so I had book restored to 8.5 that year or close to it.

Edited by woowoo

31 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

I am more assured then, that resto artists have raised their standards and have set restrictions to what can and will be restored. (thumbsu

I wouldn’t even dream of restoring anything above 1.5

They sure did. I would not have anything restored today but I am 40 years to late:preach:

Edited by woowoo

9 minutes ago, zen514 said:

Action comics 1 and tec27 cream to offwhite complete coverles copies are in this club. Next time one comes up for sale in private, buy it now or even more in auction. 

I don't think we're there, yet.

I could see 50-60K for a well-presenting, complete, unrestored Action #1/Tec #27.

3 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

I don't think we're there, yet.

I could see 50-60K for a well-presenting, complete, unrestored Action #1/Tec #27.

heritage sold one for 67k last year... in august. complete action 1.... 

if you have a 0.5 or can lead me to one. Ill pay 100k  and a 5k finder fees 

unrestored tec 27 or action 1

even if its missing the back cover.

as long as front cover is nice and pq is not brittle or slightly brittle.

This is for anyone not just for wayne tec. Any one who can help. Thanks!

5 minutes ago, zen514 said:

Unrestored (tsk)way you find one.

Edited by woowoo

4 minutes ago, zen514 said:

Link to the Heritage sale?

39 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

Link to the Heritage sale?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/action-comics-1-dc-1938-cbcs-pr-03-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7139-91002.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

There you go. 66k... so if you think that the ha.com missing centerfold and trimmed right to the image and spiral holes... This one is 100k!

Edited by zen514
forgot to write

52 minutes ago, zen514 said:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/action-comics-1-dc-1938-cbcs-pr-03-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7139-91002.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

There you go. 66k... so if you think that the ha.com missing centerfold and trimmed right to the image and spiral holes... This one is 100k!

I think in a CGC slab, that book could hit 75K today. 

Eventually 100K. Time will tell.