• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Robert Kirkmans History of Comics
2 2

28 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:
19 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Yeah - I saw the advertisement with the whips and lingerie :p

I haven't watched any of it yet - I may pass and put my time towards other things.

Have you seen the movie that came out about a month after Wonder Woman?  Professor Marston and the Wonder Women?  I enjoyed it, but I don't know if it did well in theaters.

I haven't seen either movie.  We lost our local theatre about 6 years ago, and we don't travel whole lot now that the kids are grown up and out of the house.  The nearest theatre is 55 miles and the nearest multi-plex is 100 miles.  I saw the Wonder Woman movie for sale at the grocery store recently, I think? - maybe I will ask for that for Christmas.

1 minute ago, DocHoppus182 said:
3 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

We lost our local theatre about 6 years ago

That's a bummer.  What happened?  You should definitely put WW on your wish list.  It was great.

It was old, and everything switched to digital from reel to reel.  Meaning that the owners would have to drop 20-40 K on a business that was probably already operating at a loss.

There is a local effort to fund-raise and obtain grants to upgrade and re-establish the theater, but it is basically a money pit  - I don't know where that effort is at as far as the goals.

We had a local whose wife passed away that wanted to do something meaningful for the community and encourage a place for kids to do something besides get in trouble.  He bought the local bowling alley, which was a pretty run-down and smelly place, and totally remodeled it (besides the pin setters, which were apparently the best out there), so we do have that now. 

Maybe someone else will take on the theater - kids do need some activities to keep them occupied.

Here is a photo from back when the theater was operational:

See the source image

Not much on the internet as far as bowling alley, but this is during the construction.  I'm not really a fan of the plastic bowling pin motif, but to each his own.  My wife joined a league for the first time after moving here 27 years ago.

Image may contain: sky, tree and outdoor

parking lot during Oktoberfest and grand opening festivities. Some nice murals on the walls.

Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor

Inside - we are a small town, so eight lanes.

Image may contain: 1 person, basketball court, living room and indoor

Local flavor - cow pie bingo during Oktoberfest lol

Image may contain: one or more people, sky and outdoor

It would be nice if the theater project came through.  I enjoy going to the theater.  I live in a larger city, so I have a few options.  I'd be pretty bummed if they closed all of a sudden.  Cow pie Bingo, lol.  Have you ever picked a winner?

10 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

It would be nice if the theater project came through.  I enjoy going to the theater.  I live in a larger city, so I have a few options.  I'd be pretty bummed if they closed all of a sudden.  Cow pie Bingo, lol.  Have you ever picked a winner?

jeez no - the grid is something like 525 squares.  Like most things in life, I merely donate.

I have won a raffle once which was great timing for us.  About 20 years ago, I won $500 at the Elks Lodge Charity Ball, and we used it to replace the elements in our furnace, which was almost dead...., and which cost about $500 that we otherwise wouldn't have had (the company had to come from 100 miles away, so it was expensive with the mileage fee).  

That incident made me not so curmudgeonly towards donating to all these other fund-raiser things later in life.

I wanted to know more about DC owning Marvel's distribution rights, that was news to me.  The show made it seem like DC was severely limiting the number of issues that Marvel published during the early days, not sure how true that is.

Lee and Kirby were just two very different people.  All my appreciation goes to the artist who toils and creates, and does all of the real work.  But unfortunately sometimes genius needs a huckster to make things happen, and Marvel definitely wouldn't have happened without both of them.  Not to say Stan Lee's not a genius too, he's brilliant.  Just saying that sometimes it is painful to see the good-looking smooth-talker get all the credit when they are really standing on the shoulders of giants.

6 hours ago, larryfk said:

I wanted to know more about DC owning Marvel's distribution rights, that was news to me.  The show made it seem like DC was severely limiting the number of issues that Marvel published during the early days, not sure how true that is.

It was more or less true. It's why titles were limited until the late 60's and then the big expansion happened.

7 hours ago, lizards2 said:

It was old, and everything switched to digital from reel to reel.  Meaning that the owners would have to drop 20-40 K on a business that was probably already operating at a loss.

There is a local effort to fund-raise and obtain grants to upgrade and re-establish the theater, but it is basically a money pit  - I don't know where that effort is at as far as the goals.

We had a local whose wife passed away that wanted to do something meaningful for the community and encourage a place for kids to do something besides get in trouble.  He bought the local bowling alley, which was a pretty run-down and smelly place, and totally remodeled it (besides the pin setters, which were apparently the best out there), so we do have that now. 

Maybe someone else will take on the theater - kids do need some activities to keep them occupied.

Here is a photo from back when the theater was operational:

See the source image

Not much on the internet as far as bowling alley, but this is during the construction.  I'm not really a fan of the plastic bowling pin motif, but to each his own.  My wife joined a league for the first time after moving here 27 years ago.

Image may contain: sky, tree and outdoor

parking lot during Oktoberfest and grand opening festivities. Some nice murals on the walls.

Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor

Inside - we are a small town, so eight lanes.

Image may contain: 1 person, basketball court, living room and indoor

Local flavor - cow pie bingo during Oktoberfest lol

Image may contain: one or more people, sky and outdoor

What a beautiful theater.