• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PayPal problem -- "card denied" error when paying from bank funds...

11 posts in this topic

Hey all...just tried to send a PayPal payment to a comics dealer from funds in the bank linked to my PP account, but I kept getting a "card denied...try again with another source" error, even though I wasn't using a credit card, and had clearly selected the "bank funds" source (and yep...there is plenty of $$ in the bank account to cover the payment). 

I plan to contact PayPal later this evening when I get home from work.  In the meantime, has anyone else ever seen this?

Thanks!

Don't know if this helps, but if the primary checking account has not processed a check or transaction by you....as opposed to a linked fund transaction.... in the last six months, many banks (eventually all very shortly) have instituted a confirmation process, due to some recent bank regs that have kicked in. Probably does not apply to you, but you never know. 

3 hours ago, jools&jim said:

Hey all...just tried to send a PayPal payment to a comics dealer from funds in the bank linked to my PP account, but I kept getting a "card denied...try again with another source" error, even though I wasn't using a credit card, and had clearly selected the "bank funds" source (and yep...there is plenty of $$ in the bank account to cover the payment). 

I plan to contact PayPal later this evening when I get home from work.  In the meantime, has anyone else ever seen this?

Thanks!

I had the same issue yesterday.  Interesting.

I had this problem happen to me once and it was due to my debit details being out of date (expiration date, special code etc type of things).

I think that is how I hooked my regular checking account in with PayPal. It triggered a message saying that the payment needed to be sent through the bank and it added about 5 days to clear iirc.

That might not be the case with yours-- just something to double check. Odds are it is the lack of use of this payment method like others suggested. But I do find that these types of snags are often failing to update when you get a new bankcard.

PS-- What I usually do if I want to use Paypal to make a purchase is to load the funds from the bank well ahead of time from my bank into PP via a transfer so it can just go as PP funds directly. I do this quite frequently but each time it still takes several business days to complete-- I usually count on it taking 4 or 5 days to push through. It will get taken out of the bank the same day but takes longer for PP to make the funds available to use.

Edited by 01TheDude

33 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

PS-- What I usually do if I want to use Paypal to make a purchase is to load the funds from the bank well ahead of time from my bank into PP via a transfer so it can just go as PP funds directly. I do this quite frequently but each time it still takes several business days to complete-- I usually count on it taking 4 or 5 days to push through. It will get taken out of the bank the same day but takes longer for PP to make the funds available to use.

I tried to do that several times, and paypal wants so much personal information to authorize that, that I said, "no thanks, a-------holes."

For the life of me I can't figure out why they need more for that particular transaction.