• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about cleaning...

8 posts in this topic

Someone over in GA said something about cleaning the Larson Action #1, and I thought OMFG, how would you clean a book like that?? Doesn't an aqueous wash involve disassembly and a solvent of some kind? I get a little dizzy thinking about anyone taking a high end pedigree book apart and dunking it in a cleaning solution.

Someone over in GA said something about cleaning the Larson Action #1, and I thought OMFG, how would you clean a book like that?? Doesn't an aqueous wash involve disassembly and a solvent of some kind? I get a little dizzy thinking about anyone taking a high end pedigree book apart and dunking it in a cleaning solution.

Read this.

Personally, I don't think cleaning is that big of a deal. There was a time not all that long ago when many people did not consider cleaning to be "restoration" at all.

Outside of the realm of the comic book industry, most conservators consider cleaning to be a conservation treatment, not simply aesthetic restoration to improve appearance.

Read this.

Personally, I don't think cleaning is that big of a deal. There was a time not all that long ago when many people did not consider cleaning to be "restoration" at all.

Outside of the realm of the comic book industry, most conservators consider cleaning to be a conservation treatment, not simply aesthetic restoration to improve appearance.

Interesting reading! I'm sure professional art conservators, as well as our comic book variety, know what they're doing and wouldn't do it if it would damage the material.

That article sounded more geared towards works of art on single sheets. For a comic, you'd still have to take the thing apart. I suppose with a steady hand you could get the staples out without enlarging the holes, and back in straight. I would be too nervous to even try though.

Read this.

Interesting reading! I'm sure professional art conservators, as well as our comic book variety, know what they're doing and wouldn't do it if it would damage the material.

That article sounded more geared towards works of art on single sheets. For a comic, you'd still have to take the thing apart. I suppose with a steady hand you could get the staples out without enlarging the holes, and back in straight. I would be too nervous to even try though.

For a professional, I am told that it is easier than you might suspect. Like you, I'd certainly never try it on a book like that if I were someone who was hoping to sneak the book past CGC. It'd be a very expensive mistake if you screwed up.

I'd been wanting to ask the simple question "How do you clean a comic book?".. Though I assume that would lead to me getting the makepoint.giftonofbricks.gif treatment.. smile.gif OK how's this: Anyone know of any good threads here (or articles on the web) about how to clean comic books?

I'd been wanting to ask the simple question "How do you clean a comic book?".. Though I assume that would lead to me getting the makepoint.giftonofbricks.gif treatment.. smile.gif OK how's this: Anyone know of any good threads here (or articles on the web) about how to clean comic books?

Read "How to spot restoration" at the top of the Grading and Restoration forum and also the article I linked to earlier in this thread. Basically, there are three kinds of cleaning:

1) Erasure (dry cleaning). Usually does not involve disassembly of the book. It is accomplished using any number of materials, ranging from art gum eraser, white artist's eraser, erasing pad, microspatula, and even a wadded up piece of Wonder Bread (no kidding), all of which can be used mechanically to remove surface grime and other soiling from the cover of a book.

2) Solvent cleaning. Involves disassembly and immersion in a solvent, such as Naphtha. Book is placed one folio at a time into a solvent bath, then removed and air dried until the solvent evaporates.

3) Aqueous wash. Involves disassembly and an immersion in a solution of water and calcium hydroxide or other alkaline compound. After washing, the book is patted dry with blotters and then dried completely under mild pressure (such as a sandwich of weighted glass, felt, gore-tex, and/or cotton blotter paper).