• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All you Image fans.. Check out the history!

13 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, Overthetopinc said:

I was watching this and thought my fellow boardies would get a kick out of this. 

The history of Image straight from the horses mouths.

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/watch-the-oral-history-of-image-comics

Thanks for posting this ... and for watching! 

Sincerely, 

The Host/Executive Producer of it :)

14 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

Oh, and a bit amazed Dark Horse wasn't mentioned until the final segment when Dave Gibbons finally did so. I know that founding story isn't as sexy, but people ... don't forget I don't think, maybe ignore?... the Dark Horse contributions.

The Dark Horse story is incredibly important in creator-owned comics, but we were focused on telling Image's story. It's funny, but I've wanted to do something in-depth on DH for awhile. I may be wrong, but it seems like that company has kind of been lost in the shuffle somewhat.

1 hour ago, fsumavila said:

The Dark Horse story is incredibly important in creator-owned comics, but we were focused on telling Image's story. It's funny, but I've wanted to do something in-depth on DH for awhile. I may be wrong, but it seems like that company has kind of been lost in the shuffle somewhat.

Yeah, totally understood - this piece was really creator-focused and a welcome thing to view. I did feel that Dark Horse may have come up more naturally in conversations of the sort that were being had, since a large focal point of the video seemed to be about changing the landscape, focusing on creators, and taking down 'The Man' (sorry Stan). I actually know far less about how Dark Horse came to be, I do know the ethos that it was originally started with, but that is about it... I'd definitely watch a similar feature covering Dark Horse.

Finally got a chance to watch this Mike.  Good job (as always).  Still shocking to me that it was 25 years ago.  But even after all this time, I distinctly remember that we were dropping the ball by not getting books out on time.  The market was in a bubble either way, but we really made some mistakes that didn't help.  Having said that, it was a blast being at the epicenter while it was happening.  For me, the good FAR outweighed the bad!

Scott

3 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Finally got a chance to watch this Mike.  Good job (as always).  Still shocking to me that it was 25 years ago.  But even after all this time, I distinctly remember that we were dropping the ball by not getting books out on time.  The market was in a bubble either way, but we really made some mistakes that didn't help.  Having said that, it was a blast being at the epicenter while it was happening.  For me, the good FAR outweighed the bad!

Scott

Thanks, Scott! means a lot coming from you, so I appreciate you taking the time to watch it! Jim's comments about wishing he had drawn more definitely fit well with your comments about the late books.  What's interesting to me is talking to guys like McFarlane, and Marc and Jim now, and seeing how much they've learned about the business of comics since those days. All of you early Image peeps really paved the way for a better and smarter generation of professionals.