• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daredevil film is a bust.......will you still buy DD back issues?

99 posts in this topic

Relatively speaking the Daredevil movie has been luke warm at best.

What effect will this have on the DD back issue market both short and long term?

Are any of you guys backing off from buying DD books?

Will anyone be buying/sending Daredevil books to CGC in the future?

I think this may have an effect on the insane prices of the bronze age DD keys and possibly #1 but when it comes to the silver age Daredevils #'s 2-10 I still think they are undervalued and the price won't change much. I don't think people were paying 2X guide for NM- Daredevil #6s because of the movie but rather because they like daredevil.

Ericc123

I've always been a Daredevil fan, so I'd buy his books no matter what happened with the movie. To me, a glut of low-priced DDs on the market is a good thing since I'm trying to recreate a run I sold back in the 1980s. That said, I think the prices for the bronzes will probably drop. Notably, 181 seems to be getting way more than it should, considering there's a zillion of them out there. 168 should drop, but not as much. I think 131 will cool, but only a bit. I'd say demand for 1-30 will remain, with 31-99 dropping a little.

The Daredevil film isn't a bust...it has already been profitable for the studio and from here on out it will only continue to bring in profit. As far as February film releases go, this has to be one of the biggest moneymakers in history; top 50 at least, possibly much higher. In the end, this is a success for the studio, just not an overwhelming one. It just "looks" like a bust because it wasn't a huge hit like Spidey. The only people who should've expected it to be a huge hit are the people who had no idea about Daredevil prior to the movie announcement. The boom/bust aspect of the Daredevil film has always been hype, and now we're seeing the deflation of the hype. The film never was going to be as big as Spider-Man for some of the exact same reasons that the Spidey comics have always been many times more popular than DD comics. Daredevil has always been a character that does not appeal to mass audiences; his powers are too subtle and his mood is too somber.

Plus, he's not a wholly unique character since a lot of the aspects of his powers and personality are almost a direct Batman rip-off. Stan must've had Batman on the brain when he came up with the core aspects of DD--he's a crimefighter because criminals killed his father just like Wayne, he has a somber and moody obsession with fighting crime due to the witnessing of the death of his father at a very young age just like Wayne, he based his character on a dark archetype--the Devil--very similar to the way Wayne based his on a dark archetype with bats, he fights crime less with powers and more with athletic ability like Wayne, he has a techno-gizmo billy club similar to the way Wayne carries around techno-gizmo gadgets on his utility belt, he's got a costume that covers every part of his body except his chin just like Wayne, and even his powers are like a re-doing of Batman if he had powers. DD is blind with a "radar sense"; gee, I wonder which animal from nature is also near-blind and uses radar to experience the world that Stan got that idea from? tongue.gif From that perspective, Daredevil is more of a "bat"-man that Batman himself is. I guess the fact that DD is a partial Batman ripoff isn't surprising since Stan regularly "borrowed" character ideas from DC.

I pointed out in this forum that DD wouldn't be a big hit because of his darkness and morbidity back when they first announced the film, which was so long ago it's fallen off the end of the board. I really hate being right about this because I own every DD comic and have collected and read him since I was a young teenager. His character has very little appeal to women; I guess they thought Affleck could overcome that factor, and I guess to a certain extent he did. And he only appeals to some men--the ones who like action wherever it lies, the ones who find the science-fiction behind his radar sense interesting, the ones who tend towards "film noir," and the ones who don't notice his unoriginality (which included me since I don't read Batman and didn't notice how similar he was until a few years ago). The somber moodiness/overly-dark feel was the most common criticism amongst movie critics, which is why it should be easy for most fans of the comic to overlook those reviews since the movie stayed very true to the comic.

Daredevil back issues weren't hot before the announcement of the film, so they're just on their way back to their prior state now. Thank god, I need to upgrade some of the early issues so a big part of me is glad to see the unwarranted and unrealistic hype ending. smile.gif But I'm also disappointed that Affleck and myself were right in thinking that Daredevil is this offbeat title that most people aren't all that interested in.

Great breakdown... The only thing I found a tad unappealing about the early Daredevil issues were the obligatory "soap opera" panels, where the emotinal menage a trois between Matt, Karen, and Foggy would rear its ugly head! Count on a little Days of Our Lives and General Hospital being written in...Does he love me? Why can't Karen say my name with such passion? How can I be sure that she doesn't have feelings for me? I'd expose my love for her but I can't ruin Foggy's proposal.. dum dum dum... shocked.gif

I'm reading these now for the first time and have wondered about why they bother with the soap opera and realized that, must be the women. They like soap operas in a comic book. And I do believe there were girls reading comic books back in the 60's, at least more than are now - right?

By the way, I'm up to 14 now and was wondering how much longer does this drag on?

As for the question, I will continue to buy Daredevel back-issues until I have everyone - film or no film, they do not effect by back - issue buying habits at all. I have a strong suspicion, that either investors or dealers who play the market are probably the ones that are more influenced in what they buy with these movies coming out, no?

A dealer knows a particular movie is coming out next year, so he buys back issues before the hype. During the hype, they sell. Now, if a collector is collecting Daredevil, can't see how a movie is going to effect whether or not he collects them, if he's already collecting them. Does that make sense?

>>The Daredevil film isn't a bust...it has already been profitable for the studio and from here on out it will only continue to bring in profit. As far as February film releases go, this has to be one of the biggest moneymakers in history; top 50 at least, possibly much higher.

Ummmm, you sir need a subscription to a good Hollywood trade. Daredevil still hasn't made a penny for the studios, and is viewed as a huge disappointment by the bean counters. They don't spend $80 million + 40 million on ads for a movie that HAS YET to reach $100 million at the box office (not counting the percentage that theatres take off the top) and has had THE lowest per-theatre gate receipts for 6-7 weeks now.

The math is actually pretty easy. $96 million in, take off a hefty percentage of that total for the theatre revenue, minus $80 million film budget, minus $40 million promotional budget.

Daredevil will likely make some money overall, but you can bet studios will be a lot more frugal with their ad budget and first-time comic book movie properties.

Initially (first week ad hype) things were rosy, but after the horrible second-week and following results, the studios have cooled considerably on the principals involved in the DD film.

I was right about Daredevil having one of the biggest Februaries ever--the $40 million was the second-highest grossing February movie opening weekend of all time, behind Hannibal. Check it out:

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/records/month2.html

I haven't see any figures on International box office, and I don't know if the movie is even in wide release overseas, or the figures are pending.

US/Can/Americas: $96,983,208

Overseas: $0

Total: $96,983,208

Even so, only the most naive would think the studios are ecstatic about the film's performance. It's a dog, pure and simple and that ad budget could have been used elsewhere, to more effect.

>>I was right about Daredevil having one of the biggest Februaries ever--the $40 million was the second-highest grossing February movie opening weekend of all time

Sure, and as anyone knows, no critic or horrible word of mouth can wtihstand a $40 million ad budget. It's the second and forthcoming weeks that tell the tale, and DD stunk up the joint after that ad-based/hype first weekend.

Regardless of how much money it did or didn't make, DD was a really horrid big-budget movie, and probably the worst $80 million dollar movie I've ever seen. Where the money went, I'll never know.

I didn't like the movie much. But like FF, DD has appealed to me since I was 12 or so, and the movie isn't going to change that. Anyone who was truly a fan of the comics before the movie was even announced, will continue to be one afterwards. I just shrugged off the movie. I was dissapointed, but it dosen't change my opinion of the comic.

duel.gif

Daredevil sucked........No it didn't.......Yes it did........No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......No it didn't.......Yes it did.......

Yo FF, we've already gone over this again and again, and if you love the movie, then fine, go buy 50 copies of the DVD and keep their revenue stream up. Personally speaking, I like well-made movies like LoTR and Spider-man, not manure-soaked POS mistakes like Daredevil cluttering up the screen, so I won't be giving them any of my cash.

The writer/director could be starving on the street and I wouldn't throw that guy a quarter. You feel differently, then shower him in cash, see the movie 100 times, buy 50 DVDs, and and start a watch for Daredevil 2. In the meantime I'll be watching and buying high-quality movies instead.

the worst $80 million dollar movie I've ever seen.

Man, cut the movie a LITTLE slack. It was bad, but I can think of many worse big-budget atrocities. Battle field Earth? Starship Troopers? MIB franchise? WaterWorld? Bats? There is tons more of this high budget junk.

If you weren't so egocentric, CI, people might listen to your analyses, but you always come to your decision first and then look for facts to back them up, which is why the negativity of your last post is so unsurprising. So much so that it forced you into a new ID. This movie is making the studio tens of millions, and will end up making them close to $100 million. I wouldn't act like an arse like this to anybody else except you, King Blowhard, but you've gone out of your way to [!@#%^&^] on this film. From your posts, it doesn't even appear you knew much about the character to begin with, and you definitely don't care about him. So why have you now posted over 50 times about this--is it because you just can't help trying to sound self-important, or do you really own stock in DC or something?

You'd be a really great person to debate with if you weren't such a pompous arse. mad.gif

>>I didn't like the movie much. But like FF, DD has appealed to me since I was 12 or so, and the movie isn't going to change that.

Good point Andrew and that's kind of the way I feel as well. The movie stunk like expired milk, so what? The DD movie was a mish-mash of stolen dialogue, retreaded action scenes and virtually no story, so what? People who watch DD multiple times found their IQ at the level of a mountain gorilla, so what?

The old comics are still fun and I'll still buy them here and there.

But Lord help the poor soul who tries to drag me into Dulldevil 2.

>>Man, cut the movie a LITTLE slack. It was bad, but I can think of many worse big-budget atrocities. Battle field Earth? Starship Troopers? MIB franchise? WaterWorld? Bats?

Out of those, only BattleField Earth is worse, and I don't believe it had an $80 million budget... I liked MIB and Starship Troopers a lot more than DD, and Waterworld marginally better.

None of the above were classic, but DD was really a storyless mess that had whole scenes and chunks of dialogue stolen from other, much better movies. Sad, sad stuff.