• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daredevil film is a bust.......will you still buy DD back issues?

99 posts in this topic

There is no possible way to even speculate that from now. Much depends on Marvel's management, creative teams, the competition etc...

There's no way to tell. Marvel is top dog right now, but they may not be in 10 years. But whatever happens, I think the movie won't have much of a long term impact.

No title survives too much mediocrity...it all depends on how well Marvel does with it. I do seriously think he's got a shot at continuing to be a strong performer, yes. Will he go into a downswing again? At some point, almost certainly. Every title does.

But whatever happens, I think the movie won't have much of a long term impact.

It will have an impact in that DD won't be getting mass exposure to those not already reading comic books.

So no new potential readers, curious to know more about DD will pick up the books.

I think the movie won't have much of a long term impact.
I fully agree with this. At least half of the criticism the movie has faced--overly dark, weak villains, dull--also applies to the comic, yet overall the comic hasn't done too badly over the years. Worse than Spidey, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Avengers, and Hulk, but roughly the same as Thor and Iron Man.

I'm still surprised they did Daredevil as a film before Hulk or Fantastic Four, but I'm not complaining!!

I hate to blowout your bubble( grin.gif ) but movies are not likely going to bring out hordes of new readers as was previously thought. These movies produce merchandise, and most will be content to purchase this merchandise(Toys, Video Games) if they liked the movie.

Here's the sad fact; Comics as a medium is slowly dying with kids, and movies are not going to do much to stop this. Most kids will not sit down and read about Spiderman kicking some @ss, when they can switch on their PS2 and actually live it(somewhat). There are too many competing technological mediums that make comics appear dull and lifeless in comparison, especially when you factor in the high prices and apeculators/CGC making it difficult to find a book if it is missed on the stands. Hell, kids don't even play sports or do outdoor activities like we all did, which explains the rise in obeisity among kids.(another topic alltogether).

This has already been discussed ad naseum, but the bottom line is that movies will have little impact on the future of the medium. Afterall, there were no movies in the 60's and look how high readership was back then.

FF - are you sure the studio will see any money from merchandising or is that all Marvel's money? Wouldn't the studio usually only get merchandise money from a propery it owns and not buys the rights for a movie?
I dunno. I'm really not even interested in the finances, I was just sick of Joe_ComicInvestor going out of his way to dump all over the film. tongue.gif It wasn't great, but it doesn't suck as badly as he says it does. Since almost every story element was taken from stories written in the comic by Stan Lee and Frank Miller, to unreservedly criticize Daredevil the movie's story is also to criticize the best parts of Daredevil the comic. Rip on the plot, the acting, and the directing all you want, but I like the story, dammit. Daredevil's radar sense and how he uses it to kick butt is cool. You unjustly criticize my friends, and you're unjustly criticizing me. smirk.gif

The "it sucked totally" detractors aren't giving the film credit for what it did well--it depicted Daredevil's power and showed him using it in a way that was in many ways better than the comic depicted them. The fight scenes and special effects weren't Matrix-revolutionary, but they were entertaining. The flavor of criticism Daredevil is getting reminds me of how people ripped unmercilessly on Starship Troopers and the Hollywood version of Godzilla. Both of these films sucked in a zillion ways, but I love both of them because the action was cool and the special effects were unique. I aspired to be a novelist about a decade ago so I've got an above average grasp of the elements of fiction and film. For many years I used to criticize ALL films that had weaknesses. It took me a number of years, but for entertainment's sake, I now find it easier to not let the negative aspects of a film totally overshadow the positive aspects. If anybody remembers, the reviewers cut Star Wars to pieces back in 1977 because of its weaknesses, but what they didn't do is pay attention to what the film did better than any other film in history. Not that I'm saying Daredevil was as good as Star Wars; I'm just using it as an example of how even a film with weak compository elements can still kick butt.

So shuddup Khaos, don't make me have to start asking for your home address and come over to kick your butt. tongue.gif

So shuddup Khaos, don't make me have to start asking for your home address and come over to kick your butt.

Hey, all I'm saying is that Daredevil was the... oh.

[Robot-voice on] DAREDEVIL-WAS-THE-GREATEST-MOVIE-OF-ALL-TIME-SECOND-ONLY-TO-THE-POSTMAN-BUT-NOT-TO-BE-CONFUSED-WITH-IL-POSTINO-WHICH-WAS-A-TURD-ON-ROLLER-SKATES. [/Robot-voice off]

I'm going to go lock my doors now.

I'm going to go lock my doors now.

Yeah, you go do that! mad.gif Although I chucked your home address away, I still know what friggin' town you live in! I'll just ask the locals about where the former pool boy of the S & M murderer lives! shocked.gif

Although I chucked your home address away, I still know what friggin' town you live in! I'll just ask the locals about where the former pool boy of the S & M murderer lives!

I've got YOURS sitting right here! I'll just release your information one letter at a time until my as-yet undefined demands are met:

G

Why would I willingly make myself your very own Resusci-Annie CPR doll again??

You need a second job because selling vacuum cleaners is not cutting it in this economy! There are only so many old ladies in Olathe, KS for you to swindle! tongue.gif

You need a second job because selling vacuum cleaners is not cutting it in this economy! There are only so many old ladies in Olathe, KS for you to swindle!

Man, Greggy, your bagging reminds me of Afghanistan: bombed out and depleted.

So...you admit that you steal your "best" stuff! Sad...the old Khaos was a dink who could go on forever! mad.gif You've changed into a shadow of your former individual_without_enough_empathyry self! frown.gif

I like the DD film, and consider it a success. If I didn't already have a complete run, I would continue to buy back issues. For those of you who need to be reminded of some real movie "busts", I would suggest "Howard the Duck", all the Batman films (except the first), all the Superman films (except the first), the Punisher movie, the Captain America movie to name a few -- and on a non-superhero related note, that Chicago movie reeked to high heavan! What an !@#! absolute waste of film stock.

I thought the DD film expressed some creative liberties that initially wore into any high expectations for the film. My initial impressions of Bullseye's branded forehead, and Michael Duncan Clarke's casting for Kingpin were both stark reminders that this movie was ripening for a major disappointment. After watching the film however, I though Bullseye's target brand gave Colin a maniacal edge never before expressed in comics, and made the death scene more impactful and emotional. As well, watching Michael Duncan Clarke's physical dominance on the screen convinced me that no other actor, irregardless of skin colour, could have had as much an impact on the screen; Duncan easily pulled-off a streetsmart, ruthless, crimelord who doesn't mind rolling-up the sleeves to remind his victims that he grew-up in one of the toughest neighbourhoods: Hells Kitchen.

On a closing note, I cannot say I am nearly as anxious about watching the Hulk movie as I am about X-Men 2. My early prediction: X-Men 2 fares better than the first, and will surpass not only all past "Part II" superhero films, but all "Part II" films by being the highest grossing second installment ever made.

The previews for X-Men 2 sure do look awesome, and if they're any indication of the rest of the film, you're gonna be right about it outperforming its predecessor.

Bullseye didn't die in the film...sounds like you didn't stick around for the credits! After the credits, they showed him alive in the hospital and redid a scene from DD 181 (I think that's the right issue).