• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daredevil film is a bust.......will you still buy DD back issues?

99 posts in this topic

Darn it; the truth is that I did miss that final scene and wouldn't have known unless you told me -- so thanks FF; I couldn't help it though -- it was all the bloody pop I drank in line, and during the movie smirk.gif

I should have been specific -- The death scene I was referring to in the previous reply was the scene where Bullseye kills Electra. A real shame too, I was just starting to dig that tight leather outfit grin.gif

My early prediction: X-Men 2 fares better than the first, and will surpass not only all past "Part II" superhero films, but all "Part II" films by being the highest grossing second installment ever made

Wow - so you're saying that X-men 2 makes more than The Two Towers?

Are you talking worldwide gross or just domestic?

Either way that's a tall order.

Sorry, you still have it wrong. There was a strong suggestion in the movie that Elektra didn't die. It is,after all, a comic movie, is it not?

Nina, I remember thinking that during the movie, but what was the "suggestion"? I really can't remember for the life of me. Apparently my memory-repressing mechanism is working far better than I would have imagined. Now if only I could forget that horrible "This Is Matt Murdock's Life In A Nutshell" answering machine bit...

The previews for X-Men 2 sure do look awesome, and if they're any indication of the rest of the film, you're gonna be right about it outperforming its predecessor.

Oh MAN does X-Men 2 look cool! I can't wait for that one... that's all. I've never gotten so geeked-up about a movie before. wink.gif

When Matt went back to, I believe it was the rooftop where he first "saw" Elektra's face in the rain, there was a necklace hanging there that belonged to Elektra. After seeing the necklace, Matt gave a kinda smile that made you think he was thinking something along the lines of "My God, she's alive" He felt this was Elektra's way of letting him know, I'm ok. Subtle, but it was there. Opens the way for the Elektra movie.

It mighta. Like Kaos, my memories are a bit vague on this. And unlike many on this post, I will rent the movie when it comes out and watch it again. 'Cause I liked it.

You know we are talking about "gross" of this movie and I saw today on that show about McFarlane that Spawn grossed $85,000,000.00. So isn't that worse that DD?Or am I not reading something right here. confused.gif

It mighta. Like Kaos, my memories are a bit vague on this.

Yeah, seems like it did have braille on it... and I do remember that part now! I remember thinking "oh no, she's dead. Way dead." And I just assumed that she had placed it there before the fight or something... but it definitely leaves the door open for the sequel. Or the Elektra movie (which will be a direct-to-video barf-o-rama if ever such a movie existed). Okay, not really, but it should be. wink.gif

Your right. Tall order for any film going-up against a big-budget film like the Two Towers. However, some recognition ought to be reserved for post-box office revenues, as DVD/VHS/PPV revenue is far stronger a pull for films that don't enjoy the same theatrical circulation as Spider-Man, Two Towers, or Attack of the Clones. Wasn't it Lucas who was complaining that Spider-Man may have been commanding more box-office revenue purely because it was playing in more theatres worldwide? Meanwhile, when Christmas rolled around, I saw more Spider-Man DVD's and boxed editions in people shopping carts than I did Star Wars: Attack of the Clones.

I still think that between the merchandising potential, and international appeal (I was in Hong Kong last fall and Spidey and X-Men merchandise were everywhere in the night markets), the success of the X-Men property this summer may surprise skeptics and non-skeptics alike.

Sidebar: Where are those Zap scans you promised? wink.gif

I think when you consider post-BO revenues, the Lords trilogy is gonna blow away almost everything else in the water. They are marketing the DVD's on that very well. First the regular, then the expanded edition, then the boxed, etc. And as you say Spider-man was the #1 DVD of the year - even after all those people had seen it in the theaters.

As for the Zaps - good things come to those who wait.

And ninanina, yes Spawn "only" made 85 Mil - but the budget was far lower than that of DD, so the studios return on investment was much greater.

And that's the bottom line. That's why IFC is so in love with My Big Fat Greek Wedding - not only has this film made 240 mil, but it only cost 5 mil to make and they spent 19 in marketing it, so they've gotten a fantastic return. And it was a total shock to them. I remember back in May of this year on my way home from Japan they were already showing this movie on the airlines, so they had no idea it would have these kind of legs.

My early prediction: X-Men 2 fares better than the first, and will surpass not only all past "Part II" superhero films, but all "Part II" films by being the highest grossing second installment ever made.

Spoken like a true fanboy! No way this is going to happen...both Harry Potter II and LOTR II have surpassed even Spider-Man in global box office receipts, both surpassing the $850 million mark. Episode II, if you consider that a 2nd installment, grossed nearly $650 million worldwide (Empire Strikes Back grossed $533 million worldwide) and Jurassic Park 2 surpassed the $600 million mark. Even Mission Impossible 2 grossed $545 million worldwide. Terminator 2? Over half a billion worldwide. Toy Story 2? $485 million. MIB II? $425 million. Mummy Returns? $419 million.

By comparison, "X-Men" did $294 million worldwide. I expect the sequel to do much better, but it won't even come close to setting any records.

Gene

Gene, may be off topic, but I just thought that it is really inaccurate to compare sales figures for movies from different time periods. The cost of going to the movies today - ticket prices - ($12 out in NYC, San Fran, and DC) nearly triples the cost back when Empire strikes back came out? So, if somehow, the figures could be boiled down to tickets sold.

Also post box office revenue grossing medium was limited and not as easily available to the masses back then. NOw we have PPV, cable, DVD's and VHS to a lesser extent. Back then we only had $1 second run theatres, VHS and some cable. PPV was non existent for non sporting events...

I really didn't have an opinion eother way. I love movies enough that I don't care if I spend money watching all of these comics movies. I just decide whther I want to see it in the theatre or wait for it on DVD/PPV and pay half the cost there? I don't go watch movies more than once in the theatre, but that may be just me.

Well, your first point only bolsters my argument...adjusted for inflation, I'm sure "Empire" would take the top slot for sequels. Bottom line is that X2 isn't going to even come close to taking on the all-time sequel heavyweights at the box office. In fact, it won't even be the highest grossing sequel this year - I'm sure that "Matrix Reloaded" will take that honor. As for the other revenue windows (DVD, etc.), X2 won't even come close to Harry Potter or LOTR and will be hard-pressed to even rival MIB II or Jurassic Park II.

Let's not get carried away here. X2 is going to be released on May 2 and have a blockbuster first 2 weeks, but then the Matrix sequel will hit the screens on May 15 and lay the smack down on X2. By the time The Hulk movie smashes into the theaters on June 20, X2 will be a distant memory.

In fact, I have heard very little buzz among the non-fanboy set about X2...seems as though Joe Q. Public is more interested in both the Matrix and the Hulk movies. I would not be surprised to see both of the latter do better than X2 at the box office (the Matrix will for sure).

Gene

Gene,

I've agreed with everything you've said so far, except one minor point - Matrix Reloaded will not be the highest grossing sequal this year (not will the 3rd Matrix movie) - are you forgetting about a little independent flick called The Return of The King?

I think X2 will be lucky to land in the top 7 for the year:

King, Matrix 2, Matrix 3, T3, Hulk, some movie we're not thinking about now and then X2 (maybe)

A second thought about the movie that no one thinks will be a biggie and always sneaks up every year (a la Something About Mary, Greek Wedding),

if we go just by the hot women in the flick, then the one to beat will definitely be Chasing Popi

are you forgetting about a little independent flick called The Return of The King?

Heh heh...true enough, though given ROTK's December 17 release date, the Matrix Reloaded will almost certainly outgross it during the 2003 calendar year!! smile.gif

BTW, regarding My Big Fat Greek Wedding, though the published production budget was $5 million, I have heard that it may have cost as little as $350,000 to make in actuality. Now that's what I call a return on investment!

Gene