• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Age Graded X-Men. Which One Do I invest in?
3 3

43 posts in this topic

I collect mainly unslabbed Silver Age The X-men (Uncanny) and would like to invest in a graded one. However, I'm not sure which one to purchase. Is there a specific issue out there that I should own graded, other than issue 1? 

Edited by finalfan7asy

39 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

#14 1st sentinels

This is one my faves.

Love the drama and energy that Kirby puts into every cover but this one captures everything in one IMO.

And the concept of the Sentinels is just pure genius IMO.

22 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

I think #12, first Juggernaught, is a stand out issue.

My favorite SA X-Men issue is 41. But just for sentimental reasons.

Just out of curiosity, why is 41 a favorite? Are you a big fan of Grotesk, the Sub-Human? :wink:

I had a feeling it must have been a "first" in some way.
To answer the OP's original question, I'm a fan of #3. Nice white cover, first appearance of a very cool villain and usually a bit easier on the wallet than #4.

11 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I've always loved the cover to #50, and #58 (Neal Adams Havok cover) is another good choice.

If you want to go Bronze Age, #94 and #101 would be good targets.  Plus Giant-Size X-Men #1, of course.

I recently picked up a Giant-Size #1. I was looking at #94, but I’m not sure what would be a decent grade for this issue. Do I settle for a 7.5 or do I spend more for an 8.5?

12 hours ago, Dave2739 said:

Just out of curiosity, why is 41 a favorite? Are you a big fan of Grotesk, the Sub-Human? :wink:

I don't want to speak for anyone else, but some collectors (like me) love any monochrome cover.  It's a big reason why I love X-Men #50 so much.  And Avengers #57, and TTA #98, and so on ...