• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to remove pencil marks on cover

4 posts in this topic

So you get an awesome key you have been looking for forever...but its got  an arrival date written in pencil in the middle of the cover...or maybe someone's name...You like the look of an unblemished cover and the value or depreciation of value is not a concern...can dry cleaning remove this and you hope for a conserved grade? Or, a liquid cleaning? - restored grade is fine too

1 hour ago, Kelmonster1 said:

So you get an awesome key you have been looking for forever...but its got  an arrival date written in pencil in the middle of the cover...or maybe someone's name...You like the look of an unblemished cover and the value or depreciation of value is not a concern...can dry cleaning remove this and you hope for a conserved grade? Or, a liquid cleaning? - restored grade is fine too

Leave it alone. It adds to the originality of the book. Dry cleaning is simply using an eraser. Using an eraser on an arrival date will probably end up with cover color loss and look even worse. 

Can be risky to try to remove it. I've had luck doing it in the past but I also foolishly had a bad experience doing that years ago on a Marvel Mystery. If the pencil is in a white are you could use a quality square white eraser, lightly rubbing with a corner. But if the pencil is on a non white area I would leave it alone.

Typically writing like that only bothers me at first and then after owning the book for a while I barely notice it.  Best of luck

On 26/11/2017 at 11:55 AM, Bomber-Bob said:

Leave it alone. It adds to the originality of the book. Dry cleaning is simply using an eraser. Using an eraser on an arrival date will probably end up with cover color loss and look even worse. 

Well said. If the hand writing on the date is beautiful and non obstructive, it may even add value to it.