• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Questions About DC 100 Page Giants

3 posts in this topic

I seem to have ended up with quite a few DC 100 Pagers. Any tips for storage. They see to be very prone to spine roll. What type and size bags and boards have people had success with?

Instead of storing them with the runs, I'm thinking up setting up a separate box or shelf just for these bad boys.

-------------

Another question. In 1974-1975, a lot of titles (Superman, Batman, Detective, Shazam!...) went through a stretch where they only published 100-page giants for as much as 6 issues. 

Wikipedia has a (complete?) list of them
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_100_Page_Super_Spectacular

Was this a cost-cutting measure or what?

I've been fascinated by these books since I was a kid. In a way, they were precursors to the Trade PaperBack.

Edited by adampasz

I use Silver Age storage bags and backers with two card board backers instead of one for those over sized giants.  Also, a little trick is to bend the tape over one-third so if you want to open the bag you just pull on the tape where it isn't stuck to the bag (learned that from a YouTube thread).  As far as storing separately, I keep a pretty full box so I'm comfortable placing it up within the run.  I haven't seen any damage with this type of storage.  If it is really a concern I'd store some in a box and some on a shelf and decide after a while but light does damage over time so I'd be careful how you protect them on a shelf.  Plus, in a box they won't  potentially get knocked around by accident and fall damaging the corners.

It wasn't a cost cutting effort. It was an attempt to gain space on newsstands.

In 1940, a comic was ten cents, as was Time, Life and almost every other circular.

By 1972, most magazines were several times more expensive than a comic and produced more income and profit per unit. With limited space, do you display a book that sells for a dollar or one that's 20 cents. DC tried to make their books more valuable to sellers.

Marvel announced  a line of 100 page books, to go with their short lived 48page  for .35 cent books, but instead went with the Giant Size (68 page) books.  It was twenty years before Marvel printed hundred page books.

Edited by shadroch