• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this Crumb piece legit

3 posts in this topic

https://m.ebay.com/itm/R-Crumb-Original-Comic-Art-Autographed-Ink-on-Paper/222734175776?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

I'm not saying it's a fake, but the feeling in the back of my head was that this seem too good to be true and not quite like the other Crumbs I've seen.

But then again, from the story the seller tells, it was drawn quickly almost as a signature on the back of a business card.

Could the more experience members and those with a more keen eye possibly chime in with their thoughts.

Well, I'm hardly an expert, but of the few pieces I've seen signed by him, none were signed in this type of... I don't know, third person 'marquee' manner. The shading / cross hatching looks right. The two digit apostrophe'd date is pretty common, but I do not believe I've ever seen the month included. The face is pretty rough, but this is presumably the back of a small business card. The lettering looks like it could be his hand, and the content in total - man and words - are very Crumb-like. 

I don't see anything that immediately makes me say it is a fake.

I don't see anything that makes me say its fake either and I think the things that make it look off are based in the tiny dimensions (2x3!) of it being blown up.   I'd guess it legit.    Hard to prove though.

Edited by Bronty