• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Miracleman - the impossible variant

16 posts in this topic

Apologies if this should be in the Copper section but I wanted to grab maximum exposure – after many years, the one comic that still evades me is this:

Miracleman 2D (One shot)

(Eclipse Comics) No. 1, December 1985. Reprints British

Marvelman Special. Signed, numbered, and limited to 100

copies.

Not to be confused with the recent New Dimension fabricated 3D “platinum archive” edition this is a black and white non-3D version of the 3D Special published for people who were colour-blind (very considerate of them). I understand Eclipse did this for a number of their 3D comics in the mid-80s.

Now I know that this exists because I do recall seeing one in late 2002 on ebay – but cannot recall any further details.

It’s not in Overstreet but is referred to as being hot in Michael Browning’s market report (and I’m the collector who’s offering $500 for a NM copy).

Can anyone

a) further confirm its existence?

b) Tell me who signed it

c) Tell me if it can be distinguished from the normal-3D version (i.e. by the cover or indicia?)

Of course, there are no copies graded.

CGC guys – would you even know to make the distinction?

If anyone can help, it’d be really appreciated. smile.gif

Ewan

bumpit.gif

Ewan and I have been steady tracking this info down. I think we're on the right track and hopefully we'll have verification and info this week. thumbsup2.gif

And you'll let us know where we can buy one, right? Surely. smirk.gif

bumpit.gif

Ewan and I have been steady tracking this info down. I think we're on the right track and hopefully we'll have verification and info this week. thumbsup2.gif

And you'll let us know where we can buy one, right? Surely. smirk.gif

27_laughing.gif Ewan has dibs on the first copy that surfaces. The project is his "baby". I'm just helping out.

It's going to be incredibly difficult to locate a copy. From what we've found out thusfar, the covers are identical to the regular 3D version, and the print run was extremely, extremely small. Haven't gotten the #'s yet, but I would say 100-500 printed max.

I'm hoping that by tomorrow or later this week, I'll have enough info to pass along to Gemstone to get it into next years guide.

Thanks to everyone that provided info and leads. thumbsup2.gif

I'm hoping that by tomorrow or later this week, I'll have enough info to pass along to Gemstone to get it into next years guide.

GAH! frustrated.gif That will only draw unneccesary attention to it!

Note to self: Buy one before next year's guide comes out.

GAH! frustrated.gif That will only draw unneccesary attention to it!

Note to self: Buy one before next year's guide comes out.

I know. Quite the Catch-22. But, that Ewan has reported there has been only one ever offered as such on eBay, and the fact that the cover to the 3D and Non-3D versions are absolutely identical, I don't know any other way to draw any copies out.

Since they are the same cover, it's very possible that people have this book and do not even know it. If it gets noted in the OS, we should see some hit the market.

I'd like to thank Chris for all his help thus far - it's really appreciated. cool.gif

It's great that these boards can be used to find this real interesting stuff about genuinely rare variants.

Chris has just PM'd that this might be have produced in as limited numbers as just TEN copies! And that the cover and indicia are exactly the same! What a challenge for collectors!

If only I'd bought that copy back in August 2001 which went for $133. I remember distinctly it said it was the "2D version" in the ebay title.

We're hoping to get it in next year's guide too.

cheers

Ewan

I'd like to thank Chris for all his help thus far - it's really appreciated.

The pleasure was all mine, Ewan. I've had a blast trying to track this info down.

I'd like to thank the following people for their help in this project:

-Ewan (of course!)

-Jon Cohen of Beyond Comics in Maryland (for getting me in touch with the next guy on my list)

-Beau Smith (Flying Fist Ranch, IDW, and former VP of Marketing for Eclipse Comics)

and last, but certainly not least, Randy Scott and Chris Baclawski of the Michigan State University Special Collections Department. They have collected all the information required by Gemstone for inclusion in the OSPG. I should have it this week to forward onto Gemstone. They were more than happy to assist.

It's been brought up before, but I don't know if anyone has actually used their database. The MSU Library Database is really easy to use and lists every single comic they have in their possession. It's where Ewan and I were able to definitively verify the existence of the Miracleman 3D (2D) Special. Here is the link:

Just type in the book title....

Update:

Chris noticed the following...

"Something you may find amusing - we had the answer in front of us the entire time (re: the existence of the book).

Check out the indicia page of your regular edition. Underneath Cat's editorial, there is a little "soapbox" titled "In Your Hands". In it, it states:

If you picked this book up because it's about Miracleman, but can't see 3D effects: you can special order a b&w NON-3D copy for $5.00 postpaid from Eclipse....

Additionally, the last line in the indicia states:

A special non-3D edition is available."

So as we thought, it DOES exist afterall - and was definitely published.

The challenge remains is actually finding one!

Hopefully will be in OS next year.

Many thanks to Chris. smile.gif

p.s. speaking of Holy Grials for MM - here's another one

MM 15 Original Art

Any one know who owns this?

Just a quick note with a big thanks to Chris smile.gif for his help with this particular quest...

The book definitely exists and Michigan State University has a copy - probably the only copy we're going to see in a long time!

Interesting to see the Alan Davis's artwork in black and white (and non-3D'd) for the first time - looks great!

Hopefully it'll get in OS next year...

Same cover. Same indicia. But less than 100 copies. One of the rarest Coppers in existence I would say. A real variant - but perhaps not quite as impossible now its existence is confirmed!

Just a quick note with a big thanks to Chris smile.gif for his help with this particular quest...

The book definitely exists and Michigan State University has a copy - probably the only copy we're going to see in a long time!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Road trip! devil.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Road trip! devil.gif

That would definitely be a cool trip. The guys at MSU were extremely helpful. Not sure if we'd be able to see many of the books as they are denoted "Library Use Only" (as was the MM 2D).

It was defintiely a fun project. I just hope I provided Tom G with enough info for inclusion in the OSPG. It should help pull some copies out. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif