• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are these tampered CGC cases?
1 1

25 posts in this topic

I could be crazy but these books seem off to me.  They just seem like they've been tampered with to me or maybe I'm just being too picky (shrug).  The grades seem high for the flaws I'm seeing and is The Spiderman 300 all broken on the back ?  I was going to bid but I think I'll pass on these.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/qualityproductexpo/m.html?item=232577566165&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Edited by DiamondCityComics

I can't see anything, but the photos are all done hinky and deceptively, so I would probably pass as well. 

Also, I'm continually amazed at the flaws CGC lets pass, and these grades could include a lot of flaws.

9 minutes ago, DiamondCityComics said:

I agree I don't like the pics.  The Spidey 300 looked like the inner well was cracked which was why I thought maybe they were all cracked.   He mentions in another auction how the case squeaks so judge for yourself.

You are looking at the shims CGC places in some inner wells to support the books, depending on size/shape/etc. 

Inner wells don't crack, as they are made of pliable plastic - they could rip, but they'd need to be out of the outer well to do that.

My cases squeak and squeal when I crack the books out - they know their number is up at that point.

The sign you are missing is the seller is utilizing all 12 photos. Something good honest sellers lean towards. Sellers that use 1 or 2 and no description, to me just don’t care. We all know that taking photos of slabs or even scanning can be challenging to say the least. I’d call it legit but a few photo lessons would help. 

Just now, DiamondCityComics said:

Ok I just thought the inner well was torn on the Spidey 300 so it made me wonder.  I'm surprised that 129 is an 8.0 with the damage.  I have an 8.5 that looks 10 times better.

You could honestly start a new thread about the inconsistencies and the contradictions of grading practices. 

7 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:
10 minutes ago, DiamondCityComics said:

Ok I just thought the inner well was torn on the Spidey 300 so it made me wonder.  I'm surprised that 129 is an 8.0 with the damage.  I have an 8.5 that looks 10 times better.

You could honestly start a new thread about the inconsistencies and the contradictions of grading practices. 

Absolutely spot on. 

And what you see through the outer and inner well is just  a portion of the flaws that lay inside.  You only really know what is in there when you crack a book out.

4 hours ago, DiamondCityComics said:

I could be crazy but these books seem off to me.  They just seem like they've been tampered with to me or maybe I'm just being too picky (shrug).  The grades seem high for the flaws I'm seeing and is The Spiderman 300 all broken on the back ?  I was going to bid but I think I'll pass on these.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/qualityproductexpo/m.html?item=232577566165&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

If the hammer price is good, I actually think those 4 cgc keys seem ok for assigned grades.

You probably already know that ASM 300 has a lot of copies with bad cutting job/bindery defects.

Also I was pleased to see that IH 181 in 7.5 with that white blemish along the spine at bottom, my raw copy (I think is 7.0) has the same odd condition.  Don't think it's surface wear, but now at least I've seen it twice.

IMG_0131.thumb.JPG.b1acf7e601b113617fde661a558c99ae.JPGIMG_0138.thumb.JPG.a462c48d001864e2bcfbafb9766dc958.JPG

Just now, oakman29 said:

I actually think it's a pretty good price for that IH 181.

buy it for your termite collection then.

3 minutes ago, grebal said:

If the hammer price is good, I actually think those 4 cgc keys seem ok for assigned grades.

You probably already know that ASM 300 has a lot of copies with bad cutting job/bindery defects.

Also I was pleased to see that IH 181 in 7.5 with that white blemish along the spine at bottom, my raw copy (I think is 7.0) has the same odd condition.  Don't think it's surface wear, but now at least I've seen it twice.

IMG_0131.thumb.JPG.b1acf7e601b113617fde661a558c99ae.JPGIMG_0138.thumb.JPG.a462c48d001864e2bcfbafb9766dc958.JPG

That looks like more greggy soiling damage to me....,

Could be a production effect. Or maybe just after the books were printed and stacked, some of the ink, since it was still pretty fresh on the front cover got stuck and lifted off onto the back cover of the book on top. Freshly printed books were not completely flat, but had a slight bulge just off the spine so this would be the area of greatest pressure and possible ink loss. However, I don't see any similar ink on the back cover of this particular book to suggest that kind of ink peeling, so maybe my theory is just a bunch of $%$#&. But...as a kid, sometimes I was lucky enough to be at the drugstore when the new books that had just arrived were still in the twined bundles. I distinctly remember some of the books being slightly stuck together as they were un-bundled and they let me be the first to go through them before they put them on the racks, and yes, some of the ink did peel off sometimes separating the books.

3 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

No way. Nothing torn there. Do you own a slab?

Haha funny.  I guess I worded it wrong but there is plastic inside that is clearly torn.    I guess I'm the only one that can see it or its normal.  Never have been for mine. 

Edited by DiamondCityComics

10 minutes ago, DiamondCityComics said:
3 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

No way. Nothing torn there. Do you own a slab?

Haha funny.  I guess I worded it wrong but there is plastic inside that is clearly torn.    I guess I'm the only one that can see it or its normal.  Never have been for mine. 

I told you what you are looking at is support shims placed there by CGC - quite common.

42 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I told you what you are looking at is support shims placed there by CGC - quite common.

That’s why came to the conclusion that DiamondCity hasn’t got in his possession, a current slab. If he did he would be able compare and see close up and understand the construction of the whole encasement. 

16 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:
1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

That’s why came to the conclusion that DiamondCity hasn’t got in his possession, a current slab. If he did he would be able compare and see close up and understand the construction of the whole encasement. 

I cracked out ten slabs today so far -

Of those nine inner wells:

Three had no shims 

Three had shims on the side

Two had shims on the bottom

One had shims on both the side and the bottom.

I actually cracked out one more today, but it didn't really count for these purposes, as it was an old/new slab with no inner well, just the mylar sheets :p

4 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I cracked out ten slabs today so far -

Of those nine inner wells:

Three had no shims 

Three had shims on the side

Two had shims on the bottom

One had shims on both the side and the bottom.

... to be sung to the tune of The 12 Days of Christmas ...