• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fun Sketches and Commissions

41 posts in this topic

Have you ever asked an artist to do something a little different than fighting or f'king? As the buyer, you control the scene; why not get creative?

I recently went to a convention where Colleen Doran was a guest. Knowing a little of her background, and being a real Phantom Stranger fan, I asked her to draw her version of a female  Phantom Stranger. The only requirements were the hat, the medallion, the cape, and her own creativity. It's posted here (and it came out really well, too). If you are wondering, she modelled the design after a famous 1920's film actress (note the bangs in the hair style). 

So, if any of you out there have your own fun work, let's see it. And if there is a little story to go with it, feel free to add that, too.

Collen Doran.jpg

Edited by Rick2you2
grammar edit

I try to have a story for all of my commissions. I'm really not interested in a standard pose, I want a scene around which a story might exist. Of course, I often lack a really good idea.

I think I succeeded with this Howard the Duck vs. Donald Duck with Daffy Duck as the ref by Frank Brunner. The full story is in the Description on the CAF.

MZ1ptoro_2712131031561.jpg 

image.png

Edited by alxjhnsn

23 minutes ago, alxjhnsn said:

No clue why it's showing to images. Sorry about that.

It's a known boards glitch, the occasional doubling up of images. It can happen when you cut and paste in directly. Sometimes, if you go into edit, delete the picture from the 'choose file' list, the second image goes away and one stays behind.  

44 minutes ago, alxjhnsn said:

My wife commissioned this violent confrontation between the Legion of Super-Heroes and the Fatal Five. It might be tough to take for the squeamish. :) Click the image to read all about it.

More violent than Miracleman #15, more gore than an Avatar comic. I think I'm going to be sick!

Roger Langridge usually does sketches for a Heroes Initiative donation at the cons I've seen him attend. At Heroes Con 2012, I donated and he asked what I wanted, I said "Batman and Robin" and came back later to a grumpy Batman with a Ralph Wiggum-esque Robin. I still find it hysterical and would love to read this series. 

9323464152_00a373db49_b.jpg

16 hours ago, Caltex98 said:

What if DC had given The Black Canary her own comic book?

http://art.cafimg.com/images/Category_36379/subcat_86363/Black_Canary_color.jpg

The story behind this commission by Bill Galvan (and additional images from the work in progress)  here.

This one is scratching at my brain. Was this modelled after a story from her first appearance?

You may suspect that I'm a Legion of Super-Heroes fan; you may not know that I'm also an Archieverse fan.

In this commission, we have a universes collide image; it is a "battle" scene, but it's just the normal students versus staff situation - sort of.

Turns out I picked the right artist, Dan Parent is a Legion fan and an Archie artist. :) It was inspired by image that was done by Mike Worley which you can see in the Additional Images.

Archie Legion/LSH vs. Fatal Five, Comic Art

7 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

This one is scratching at my brain. Was this modelled after a story from her first appearance?

I didn't ask Bill Galvan for any specific image, but it is not unlikely that he was inspired of her jumping out of the cover of Flash #92. Other than that, I really don't know where he got the idea. In the prelim I recieved from Bill she was wearing her domino mask, but I figured it would be long gone by the time she got her own book so it was promply removed.

I'm a big fan of Sheldon Mayer. His Scribbly and Sugar & Spike work is legendary. He was also the first great editor of comics. He pulled Superman from the reject pile and influenced the creation of Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, and The Flash. His accomplishments are (or should be) legendary.

I wanted a tribute to him and I thought that a theme of covers for the missing Sugar & Spike 100 would be appropriate. S&S reached 98 in its original run when Shelly had to stop due to eye problems. DC published a 99 years later, but 100 is still missing. I have two covers celebrating S&S #100

From Fred Hembeck comes a full on Sheldon Mayer tribute. Click the image to read the Description to find how clever Fred and I were in our work. :) You can also see some colored versions in the Additional Images section.
Sugar and Spike 100 Cover (created) by Fred Hembeck, Comic Art

The second is a cross-over between Katie Cook's Gronk series and S&S. If you don't know Katie's work, you are missing a treat. Her Gronk books are available from Action Labs. Her series Nothing Special is available on WEBTOON and it's free! Click the image to read a little more about it.
Sugar & Spike #100 Cover by Katie Cook, Comic Art

On 12/4/2017 at 5:49 PM, theflashunc said:

Roger Langridge usually does sketches for a Heroes Initiative donation at the cons I've seen him attend. At Heroes Con 2012, I donated and he asked what I wanted, I said "Batman and Robin" and came back later to a grumpy Batman with a Ralph Wiggum-esque Robin. I still find it hysterical and would love to read this series. 

9323464152_00a373db49_b.jpg

I LOVE this!!!