• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay idiocy

12 posts in this topic

maybe they jacked the prices up because of holiday shopping can bring along a less sophisticated shopper/impulse gift buyer.

They could also think the item is more valuable. Some don't care if items don't sell-- they relist them over and over again with no regard to results of their pricing. I am guilty of this but the books I am selling are very inexpensive to begin with and pricing them lower would not be worth my time to ship them (I might already have them priced too low-- but these are just under copies). 

1 minute ago, comicquant said:
9 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Sometime if you raise the price, you raise the desirability, but if I have to explain it to you, you are probably susceptible.

Don't give away the tricks of the trade...

sometime if you lower the grade and raise the price.... nevermind.  :whistle:

12 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Don't know... however... I listed a book earlier this year for $140.  I ran a sale and lowered it by 10%... still no buyers...

Finally I said whatever and relisted it at a flat $150 and it sold within a day. 

I stopped trying to understand what people do and why they do it... 

See the source image

16 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Don't know... however... I listed a book earlier this year for $140.  I ran a sale and lowered it by 10%... still no buyers...

Finally I said whatever and relisted it at a flat $150 and it sold within a day. 

E=MC hammer time

14 hours ago, Shadow Images said:

Can someone explain to me the thinking of seller who resist books and increase the price? It didn't sell at $100 so its going to at $150?  These are not hot or key books.

Them not being hot books might be partly why. I've done it after I was trying to offload books quickly by listing them at a low price. They didn't sell, and I decided it's just because they're books that aren't looked for that often on eBay. Stuff like mid-grade single-digit Avengers. So I relisted them more in line with past sales and they did eventually sell, often without another relist.

Edited by Greenlake

On 12/4/2017 at 10:40 PM, Buzzetta said:

Simple answer.  Buyer didn't see it until they saw it.

Buyer didn't see it at $140.  Buyer didn't see it a $140 with 10% off.  Buyer saw it at $150.  Buyer bought it.

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Simple answer.  Buyer didn't see it until they saw it.

Buyer didn't see it at $140.  Buyer didn't see it a $140 with 10% off.  Buyer saw it at $150.  Buyer bought it.

This is 100% the answer. It's all about timing, and unfortunately that's the one variable none of us can control. I've had items go unsold at BIN's, then relisted as auctions and go for multiples of what the BIN was. I've had auctions that went nowhere at .99, relisted as BINs that immediately pop. You just never know who is watching, and when they're watching.