• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please allow me to vent about grader notes...

23 posts in this topic

51 minutes ago, rjpb said:

You're asking different graders over the course of years to be consistent to a single grade (even with a constant standard). I don't imagine any of us individually is capable of that. Sure, maybe you can look at a raw book and as much as 9 times out of 10 be accurate in your estimation of a CGC grade, but 10% of the time someone is going to disagree.

This 100%. 

As to why they don't always put in notes: (because there's a sig on the cover now -just kidding!)  Seriously speaking: in the past I heard it all depends on if the graders had bothered to make note of anything during the grading process.  Perhaps it occurs more when there's dispute among 2 of the 3 graders about the grade.  Sadly in your case it may have just been more of a slam dunk 9.6 for all 3 graders involved this time around.  If you can see it is a soft 9.8, chances are the graders saw it too and gave it the grade it was more closely aligned to.  This is the risk with any resub and why I rarely resub 9.8's. 

I'd like there to always be grader notes as well but I see 2 possible consequences with them doing that:

1. Longer TATs as each grader would have to spend time documenting at least 1 pertinent flaw and then compile them at the end before sending them to QA which would likely cause a delay in their streamlined grading process.

2. The quality of notes that do exist are vague, limited and often obvious.  The only ones of real merit are for those that describe interior damage.  However, if you force someone to write something for graders notes be prepared for 1 line non-descriptive notes such as:

- cause it graded like a 9.8

-sure ain't a 9.9

- nearly flawless

- great copy

- cause it was a 9.8 kind of day

- better than 9.4 but doesn't look as good as the other 200 copies of the same issue I've been grading all day long

- just below a 9.8

- didn't want to disagree with the head grader (or the new cute grader) on my (her) first day

- too many defects to be allowed in 9.8

- sorry

I've seen 9.8's with 7 non-color break spine stress lines up to 1/8" on white covers or up to 2-3 light spine stress lines up to 1/8" on both the front and back covers where one shows hint of color break on the spine on darker covers.  I wouldn't resub any of those as they could be a 9.6 on a different day.

I've seen 9.6's with only large bindery tears in excess of 1/8" or ones with 3-4 light Non-color break spine stress up to 1/8" as well as others with only 1 spine stress line with color break up to 1/8".

My advice is if it is borderline 9.8, don't resub and if you do, expect it may come back lower.  Same if it is borderline 9.6 as it could come back a 9.4.