• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRADING CONTEST : OFFICIAL ROUND 9

94 posts in this topic

Kind of a soft 9.0 with those corners and spine, don't you think, Nikos? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I went with 8.0 primarily due to the scuffed and rounded LLFC, and the LRBC appears to have a small impact crease. Plus, there are small front corner creases that break ink on 2 corners.

While any one of these defects may have been allowable in a 9.0, I thought the cumulative effect would drag it down to 8.0

I guess I was wrong. tongue.gif

What I question the most is why such a POS was ever slabbed? (no offense Nikos)

It's a crummy, meaningless spidey issue through and through - again the marketplace is one weird place 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

C'mon! It's Spider-man.... IN LONDON!

You suck Divad.............. no offense.

poke2.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

yeahok.gif

sleeping.gif

Kind of a soft 9.0 with those corners and spine, don't you think, Nikos? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I went with 8.0 primarily due to the scuffed and rounded LLFC, and the LRBC appears to have a small impact crease. Plus, there are small front corner creases that break ink on 2 corners.

While any one of these defects may have been allowable in a 9.0, I thought the cumulative effect would drag it down to 8.0

Zip, WE were wrong, that was pretty much my analysis as well thumbsup2.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

I agree Scott thumbsup2.gif

I was gonna go 8.0 also, but gave it the Nikos upgrade to 8.5

foreheadslap.gif

Time for yet another set of guessing darts!

Congrats folks

Ze-

NEXT!

That's what i did...with that corner wear, i thought it was an old school CGC 8.0...I gave it a 8.5....CGC seems to have loosened up their hi grades in the 9.4 and below from what i see lately...but tightened up in the 9.6 and up department....any one agree?

I agree Scott thumbsup2.gif

I was gonna go 8.0 also, but gave it the Nikos upgrade to 8.5

foreheadslap.gif

Time for yet another set of guessing darts!

Congrats folks

Ze-

NEXT!

That's what i did...with that corner wear, i thought it was an old school CGC 8.0...I gave it a 8.5....CGC seems to have loosened up their hi grades in the 9.4 and below from what i see lately...but tightened up in the 9.6 and up department....any one agree?

nope yeahok.gif

27_laughing.gifinsane.gifpoke2.gif

Watch it buddy...I'm closin' in fast and i didn't even submit a grade for round one....losing your touch, Prof? poke2.gif

Speaking of gaining ground our leader Arty only got 2 points and the three people tied for second Mrwoogieman got 1, Imagemask got 0 893whatthe.gif and Octoberfire got 2.........someone gained some ground in round 9.

You guys slay me...I finally guess a book right on the money and the banter goes "Wow..what was CGC thinking"....

All the other times (last round excluded) the banter is..."CGC was right on the mark on this one"...

Geez...I can't win for losing.... Christo_pull_hair.gif

Quick unofficial top 25 until Deathlok gets here.....

arty 27

october_fire 26

mr woogieman 25

rjpb 25

toro 25

image mask 24

davidking623 24

verygoodplus 24

redhook 24

143ksk 24

dicex 24

inconceivable 24

oldguy 24

dnagent 23

FFB 22

belladonna 22

ericc123 22

sal 22

jayman 21

the_beyonder 21

thanos_oftitan 20

mithril man 20

hobbes 20

comic supply 19

divadrabnud 19

arty 27

october_fire 26

mr woogieman 25

rjpb 25

toro 25

image mask 24

davidking623 24

verygoodplus 24

redhook 24

143ksk 24

dicex 24

inconceivable 24

oldguy 24

dnagent 23

FFB 22

belladonna 22

ericc123 22

sal 22

jayman 21

the_beyonder 21

thanos_oftitan 20

mithril man 20

hobbes 20

comic supply 19

divadrabnud 19

Wow! Good thing you went to 25! 27_laughing.gifhi.gif

arty 27

october_fire 26

mr woogieman 25

rjpb 25

toro 25

image mask 24

davidking623 24

verygoodplus 24

redhook 24

143ksk 24

dicex 24

inconceivable 24

oldguy 24

dnagent 23

FFB 22

belladonna 22

ericc123 22

sal 22

jayman 21

the_beyonder 21

thanos_oftitan 20

mithril man 20

hobbes 20

comic supply 19

divadrabnud 19

I have 19 points too hi.gif Was the top 25 alphabetical? If so then my new name is now A-man!

Zip, WE were wrong, that was pretty much my analysis as well thumbsup2.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

I think what we may be seeing in cases like this, is that a book is getting an extra bump for super glossiness or ink depth, that is, qualities that just don't translate well in scans.