• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is comic "pressing"?

103 posts in this topic

If I remember rightly, I spoke to a few boarders last year, ahead of Friesen's leaving announcement, and predicted exactly this scenario, that he was to set up shop in 2005 pressing books whilst under the CGC umbrella....

I also floated some stuff on the actual boards, and got shot down in flames for not specifically 'naming sources', thus invalidating what I had to say.

Apologies are not neccesary tongue.gif, but there was other stuff I shared. Those who remember what that information was might want to reconsider their disbelief...

If I remember rightly, I spoke to a few boarders last year, ahead of Friesen's leaving announcement, and predicted exactly this scenario, that he was to set up shop in 2005 pressing books whilst under the CGC umbrella....

I also floated some stuff on the actual boards, and got shot down in flames for not specifically 'naming sources', thus invalidating what I had to say.

Apologies are not neccesary tongue.gif, but there was other stuff I shared. Those who remember what that information was might want to reconsider their disbelief...

I believed what you said the first time you said it, but have since forgotten the other part of what you said. How about a reminder, so that we can all be re-scandalized? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

P.S. Picked up three more Northlands from Harley at Golden State Con. ASM 46, 69, and 87 all in VF/NM-ish. He bought a bunch of them recently and still has quite a few left in stock. Pricing is a bit high though.

If we as a hobby start to treat pressed comics as pariahs then that will go a long way to solving the problem. Is it a 100% solution? No but it something more than sitting by doing nothing...

Jim

My concern with Friesen working under the CGC umbrella goes way beyond pressing. CGC have already acknowledged that non-disassembly pressing happens and they don't consider it restoration, so in that sense if all Chris did was pressing, then in CGC's book there'd be nothing wrong with it anyways. I'm more concerned with the fact that he knows the ins and outs of CGC's ability to detect the types of restoration that CGC DOES consider restoration, including techniques that Steve Borock has acknowledged on these boards as being so sophisticated that it took a while for CGC to catch on.

Of course this knowledge would be in his head anyways and CGC can't prevent him from making a living. BUT THEY DON'T HAVE TO BE AFFILIATED WITH HIS BUSINESS. It's the conflict of interest, that someone with this knowledge is working under the CGC parent company umbrella and thus is affiliated with CGC, that really bugs me. Perhaps the anger at CGC is misplaced, as they might not be in position to do anything if these are the actions of its parent company, but perhaps they can at least relay our concerns to their parent company that this conflict of interest is badly tainting the CGC certification franchise.

Perhaps the anger at CGC is misplaced, as they might not be in position to do anything if these are the actions of its parent company, but perhaps they can at least relay our concerns to their parent company that this conflict of interest is badly tainting the CGC certification franchise.

Maybe...but Steve did come on here to state CGC's support towards Friesen's endeavor under CCG...

Jim

Why is it that so many successful companies feel the need to risk everything by needless (and possibly reckless) expansion?

Everything was reasonably fine in the house that Steve built. Why rock the boat, when your company is allegedly founded on transparency?

Good points. I am perplexed why Friesen would be under the umbrella of the parent company unless they condone this "conflict of interest" in pursuit of the almighty dollar. This can't be good for the hobby.

Look at it this way...he's simply asked for bigger office space in which to do what he's always been doing...

Since I more then likely unknowingly own pressed books, be they Slabbed or RAW, I have come to the conclusion that it is NOT the books fault.

Love the books, be they Pressed or Puffy.

Just stay away from paying 5x over guide for a 9.6 when you can possibly get a nice 9.2 for MUCH less, and press it into a 9.6 all on your own!

That's the ticket right there. This has the potential to collapse the market for uber-high grade books. With this service, CGC's parent is basically stating that 9.6s and above are pretty easy to manufacture, as long as you know what you're doing and start with a good candidate. So why pay 10x guide for a 9.8 when you could pick up a neglected 9.2 and have it pressed?

This could also explode the market for 9.0s and 9.2s...

Nope, and anyone who's been reading the boards for the last year and half and continued to stockpile the 9.6's and 9.8's (especially with the newer labels) had better love pressed books. Because they've been supporting the practice with their dollars and their denial.

Nope, and anyone who's been reading the boards for the last year and half and continued to stockpile the 9.6's and 9.8's (especially with the newer labels) had better love pressed books. Because they've been supporting the practice with their dollars and their denial.

thumbsup2.gif

I could not agree more...all the signs were there, but there was a fair amount of digging of heads in sand.

If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck...it's usually a duck.

I love this thread.

yay.gif

Interesting thread but the action behind it disgusts me...

Jim

I agree with that. But didn't we get the heads up on this a long time ago? This shouldn't come as a shock to anybody who's been following the topic.

Since I more then likely unknowingly own pressed books, be they Slabbed or RAW, I have come to the conclusion that it is NOT the books fault.

Love the books, be they Pressed or Puffy.

Just stay away from paying 5x over guide for a 9.6 when you can possibly get a nice 9.2 for MUCH less, and press it into a 9.6 all on your own!

That's the ticket right there. This has the potential to collapse the market for uber-high grade books. With this service, CGC's parent is basically stating that 9.6s and above are pretty easy to manufacture, as long as you know what you're doing and start with a good candidate. So why pay 10x guide for a 9.8 when you could pick up a neglected 9.2 and have it pressed?

This could also explode the market for 9.0s and 9.2s...

But suppose that 9.0 or 9.2 is actually a pressed 7.5, pressing it again won't help, will it? The same with raw books. I've been buying silver age since the early 80s, is my collection pure from pressing, who knows. (actually probably is I was cheap and bought mostly VG/F or FN for $5 and passed on those expensive ASMs in mint for $10)

I love this thread.

yay.gif

Interesting thread but the action behind it disgusts me...

Jim

I agree with that. But didn't we get the heads up on this a long time ago? This shouldn't come as a shock to anybody who's been following the topic.

The award for Mr Denial 2005 goes to the board member (and I can't remember who it was, sorry) who said that none of this would happen, or held water, because he asked Steve and Steve said it was simply rumour and conspiracy theories.

'Mr Bundy, did you kill all those people?'

'No, I did not.'

'OK, case closed, that's good enough for me.'

Oh I've been expecting this and was thinking the other day that an announcement was getting to be awhile in coming...

Regardless, time hasn't lessened my distain for this decision. In fact, I had the slim hope that maybe someone at CGC would come to their senses and ax this foolhardy endeavor. I guess the money outweighs the hobby's longterm health in their eyes...

Jim

Too many people are swayed by the fact that the key employees are approachable and friendly and go out of their way to connect with their customers.

Which is an excellent business practice to gain trust.

'The greatest trick the Devil played was convincing people he didn't exist.'