• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reading Playboy for the... ads ???

8 posts in this topic

While reading some, err.... articles in the June, 1966 issue of "Playboy," I came across a very interesting ad for the CRICKETEER clothing line.  The ad itself is for the guy's sport coat (only 60 bucks !)  Apparently the pic was shot at a 60's pop art show.  He seems to be mesmerized by the "Ballantine" beer cans, and her by something on the wall, but looking over the guy's left shoulder, plain as day are the covers to X-Men #12 and Spider-Man #30 on the wall !!    Kinda makes you wonder what else was in the exhibit room.

PTDC0089.JPG

15 minutes ago, hippiecop said:

While reading some, err.... articles in the June, 1966 issue of "Playboy," I came across a very interesting ad for the CRICKETEER clothing line.  The ad itself is for the guy's sport coat (only 60 bucks !)  Apparently the pic was shot at a 60's pop art show.  He seems to be mesmerized by the "Ballantine" beer cans, and her by something on the wall, but looking over the guy's left shoulder, plain as day are the covers to X-Men #12 and Spider-Man #30 on the wall !!    Kinda makes you wonder what else was in the exhibit room.

PTDC0089.JPG

My first thought would be, in general for something like this, that the art wasn't original, just blow-ups or posters or something. Even these days, the general public's knowledge (and need to know) re: comic art originals is essentially nil. But...in the sixties, a generic ad agency would probably want to use color pieces not having the sophistication to know that "real" OA is b/w inks only on board. Those also look approximately like the correct size for LA silver covers too...so those are almost definitely originals and (maybe?) there was actually an exhibit somewhere that the agency borrowed during off-hours for the photo shoot. Or they just called Stan and he sent those along with some other general Marvel materials (no doubt laying on the top of whatever stack of stuff at the moment) over?

If anybody doesn't know, the Ballantine cans are in reference to a popular Jasper Johns sculpture:

ballantine-ale-by-jasper-johns-1960-1344178035_b.jpg

image.png

1 hour ago, hippiecop said:

I think the ASM 30 was identifiable "plain as day" only to you, Bruce, from that thin sliver in the photo! (worship)

2 hours ago, glendgold said:

If I were to go out on a limb and guess, I'd say that wall might have featured Avengers 23, FF 40, Thor 122 and/or Strange Tales 138.

Great eye, Bruce. 

The FF 40, THOR 122 and STRANGE TALES 138 certainly exist (no idea about the AVENGERS 23), but not in the photograph, so I guess you're taking into account known existing covers from this time-frame to imagine what else might have been up there on display?

16 hours ago, The Voord said:

The FF 40, THOR 122 and STRANGE TALES 138 certainly exist (no idea about the AVENGERS 23), but not in the photograph, so I guess you're taking into account known existing covers from this time-frame to imagine what else might have been up there on display?

Yeah, pretty much.  There might be others from around that time I haven't heard about, but those seem to have survived.