• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #559 NEWSSTAND PRICE VARIANT

9 posts in this topic

So I just recently found a ASM #559 with a few others at a Half Price Books that are  Newsstand/UPC/Price "Variants". I have read (Like many others I assume) the Word Press article stating the "rarity" of these books. I checked the census and there are 0 $3.99 price variants listed for #559. Does anyone have any information on this topic? Thanks

20171217_124604.jpg

20171217_134240.jpg

20171217_134833.jpg

1 hour ago, NormdaMarine said:

So I just recently found a ASM #559 with a few others at a Half Price Books that are  Newsstand/UPC/Price "Variants".

They are Newsstand editions.

"UPC" is meaningless when attempting to differentiate editions. All Marvel comics since July 1993 have UPCs on them.

Price is irrelevant. There were two versions made: one for Direct distribution, and the other for Newsstand distribution.

I have read (Like many others I assume) the Word Press article stating the "rarity" of these books.

Don't believe the hype. Direct editions are certainly more common, but the numbers that most people toss around are garbage.

I checked the census and there are 0 $3.99 price variants listed for #559. Does anyone have any information on this topic? Thanks

The CGC census is useless for what you want to know about this book (and other similar books). Nearly every copy was submitted when the book was new, which was before CGC began to (very inconsistently) recognize Newsstand editions as being variants worthy of separation in their system.

12 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

They are Newsstand editions.

"UPC" is meaningless when attempting to differentiate editions. All Marvel comics since July 1993 have UPCs on them.

Price is irrelevant. There were two versions made: one for Direct distribution, and the other for Newsstand distribution.

Don't believe the hype. Direct editions are certainly more common, but the numbers that most people toss around are garbage.

The CGC census is useless for what you want to know about this book (and other similar books). Nearly every copy was submitted when the book was new, which was before CGC began to (very inconsistently) recognize Newsstand editions as being variants worthy of separation in their system.

Okay thanks... I will put them in a box and let time figure it out...

15 hours ago, NormdaMarine said:

So I just recently found a ASM #559 with a few others at a Half Price Books that are  Newsstand/UPC/Price "Variants". I have read (Like many others I assume) the Word Press article stating the "rarity" of these books. I checked the census and there are 0 $3.99 price variants listed for #559. Does anyone have any information on this topic? Thanks

20171217_134833.jpg

Hello @NormdaMarine

Well done finding those newsstand Spideys :headbang:

One of the good things about posting questions on these boards is that you get a good spread of responses, and they often differ wildly. Many people will tell you the old chestnut that books are only worth what ever someone is willing to pay for them. That's generally true. Collectors interests differ however, and whilst many have zero interest in variations (e.g. newsstand vs direct, price variants etc) there are small groups who value them highly. I was once an Amazing Spidey completist myself and collected the newsstands avidly. Issue 559, like 694, was always a particularly hard book to find as a newsstand. A good few years back a few members of a completist group I was a part of would have snapped your hand off for the 559. I would have paid $100 without a second thought. Many would think that foolhardy. But I've learnt to never criticise a mans choice of wife, job or collecting habit.

People will argue about the production ratios - some say newsstands of this period are as low as 2% of the total run, others say much higher. No one knows. What is clear however is how hard it is to find a newsstand book in comparison to its direct equivalent. Look on eBay and all the comic sites you know now for ASM #559, see what is available, then make up your own mind.

In my opinion, the number of collectors who would compete for this book is small, and they have likely all now found a copy. There were $500 bounties out on 694 recently. But now that collector has his book, no one may ever pay that amount again.

So my advice is to sit on these. You never know, one day they may become really hot as more and more collectors complete their runs and look to other avenues to continue collecting and feeding their crazy (oops) habits.

Have a search for newsstands on here too - lot's of interesting threads about them, full of heartwarmingly person_without_enough_empathyy arguments and speculation.

Good luck!

1 hour ago, Marwood & I said:

Hello @NormdaMarine

Well done finding those newsstand Spideys :headbang:

One of the good things about posting questions on these boards is that you get a good spread of responses, and they often differ wildly. Many people will tell you the old chestnut that books are only worth what ever someone is willing to pay for them. That's generally true. Collectors interests differ however, and whilst many have zero interest in variations (e.g. newsstand vs direct, price variants etc) there are small groups who value them highly. I was once an Amazing Spidey completist myself and collected the newsstands avidly. Issue 559, like 694, was always a particularly hard book to find as a newsstand. A good few years back a few members of a completist group I was a part of would have snapped your hand off for the 559. I would have paid $100 without a second thought. Many would think that foolhardy. But I've learnt to never criticise a mans choice of wife, job or collecting habit.

People will argue about the production ratios - some say newsstands of this period are as low as 2% of the total run, others say much higher. No one knows. What is clear however is how hard it is to find a newsstand book in comparison to its direct equivalent. Look on eBay and all the comic sites you know now for ASM #559, see what is available, then make up your own mind.

In my opinion, the number of collectors who would compete for this book is small, and they have likely all now found a copy. There were $500 bounties out on 694 recently. But now that collector has his book, no one may ever pay that amount again.

So my advice is to sit on these. You never know, one day they may become really hot as more and more collectors complete their runs and look to other avenues to continue collecting and feeding their crazy (oops) habits.

Have a search for newsstands on here too - lot's of interesting threads about them, full of heartwarmingly person_without_enough_empathyy arguments and speculation.

Good luck!

Thank you for your well put together response... I am fully aware of the earlier price variants from the other ages which is why these caught my eyes... Thank you for the insightful information and as previously mentioned I will just sit on them. For a $1.50 each and in the condition they are in I assume one day I will be able to at least triple my investment! Cheers!!!!

Thank you for your well put together response... I am fully aware of the earlier price variants from the other ages which is why these caught my eyes... Thank you for the insightful information and as previously mentioned I will just sit on them. For a $1.50 each and in the condition they are in I assume one day I will be able to at least triple my investment! Cheers!!!!

At least! (thumbsu

12 hours ago, NormdaMarine said:

Thank you for your well put together response... I am fully aware of the earlier price variants from the other ages which is why these caught my eyes...

These are not price variants.

ASM 559 has two editions: Direct and Newsstand.
(ASM 459 doesn't exist)
ASM 359 has three editions: Direct, Newsstand, and Australian.
ASM 259 has three editions: Direct, Newsstand, and Canadian Newsstand.
ASM 159 has two editions: Standard and 30-cent Price Variant. Direct editions did not yet exist.

12 hours ago, NormdaMarine said:

Thank you for the insightful information and as previously mentioned I will just sit on them. For a $1.50 each and in the condition they are in I assume one day I will be able to at least triple my investment! Cheers!!!!

You might catch at least one sucker buyer right now if you put them up individually on eBay for $20 with Best Offer. There seem to be plenty of people buying the Newsstand hype that some are dishing out.

2 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

These are not price variants.

ASM 559 has two editions: Direct and Newsstand.
(ASM 459 doesn't exist)
ASM 259 has three editions: Direct, Newsstand, and Canadian Newsstand.
ASM 159 has two editions: Standard and 30-cent Price Variant. Direct editions did not yet exist.

You might catch at least one sucker buyer right now if you put them up individually on eBay for $20 with Best Offer. There seem to be plenty of people buying the Newsstand hype that some are dishing out.

I have read the $3.99 Newsstands were in a sense, the same test market the .35 cent variant was in it's day. I have been reading a lot lately about this subject and understand it is still very divided... Thanks for your insight....

13 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

What! Somebody mentioned an Australian copy - and it wasn't me!?! :whatthe:

13 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Now what did I say about criticising other peoples collecting habits Lazyboy! (tsk)