• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

End of year art day - strips

7 posts in this topic

For a final update for 2017, I’ve added a few more Jeff Hawke examples.  Jeff Hawke was created by Sydney Jordan, and ran in England from 1955 to 1974.  Much of it was co-written by William Patterson, but some episodes were written by Harry Harrison (the Stainless Steel Rat and Make Room! Make Room! – you probably know that one better by the movie “Soylent Green”).  I’ve included examples from a couple of different episodes, including Out of Touch (written by Harry Harrison) and Winner Loses All.  That should pair with my other example from Pass the Parcel.  Me?  I think the artwork is great, and you had me at Sci-Fi from the 50’s and 60’s. 

The link:  http://cafurl.com?i=23106

And, now for something not completely different – Modesty Blaise.  Modesty Blaise was created by Peter O’Donnell and Jim Holdaway in 1963.  Although the strip ran till 2001, Holdaway passed away in 1970.  After his death, Enrique Badia Romero drew Modesty for 8 years, leaving for a bit to work on his own strip (AXA), and then returned in 1986 to continue the strip until it’s finish in 2001.  The back story is a bit much to go into here, but essentially Modesty is an independent agent working on behalf of the British Secret Service.  Modesty employed her “talents”, which included weapons, hand to hand combat, and once in a while, the occasional nude scene.  For those of us who were fans of Mrs. Peel (look it up if you have to), these just bring back some wonderful memories. I’ve added three great strips by Romero,  Feel free to enjoy!

The link:  http://cafurl.com?i=23107

As always, please feel free to look around.

Ron Sonenthal

Jeff Hawke is great; you should also check out the story reprints as they're really well-written and entertaining.  My favourite JH story is 'Survival'.  The artwork's especially good on that one, for example:

Jeff Hawke.jpg

On a related note, anyone ever hear of a Frank Robbins Johnny Hazzard Sunday going for over 1K? This one went for about $1025.

I was the under bidder and really wanted it and did not expect it to go for more then around $500-$600 when it opened up for bidding.

Original Comic Art: Comic Strip Art
Frank Robbins Johnny HazardSunday Comic Strip Original Art dated 9-4-55 (King Features Syndicate, 1955)....  So

8 minutes ago, otherworldsj331 said:

On a related note, anyone ever hear of a Frank Robbins Johnny Hazzard Sunday going for over 1K? This one went for about $1025.

I was the under bidder and really wanted it and did not expect it to go for more then around $500-$600 when it opened up for bidding.

Original Comic Art: Comic Strip Art
Frank Robbins Johnny HazardSunday Comic Strip Original Art dated 9-4-55 (King Features Syndicate, 1955)....

Robbins Hazard has been moving up quietly but steadily. I was not surprised at $1k, wanted it myself but was all set at pre-auction of $7xx (which was where I liked it for myself but not a dime more, where is Johnny?!!) Better dailies (and/or anything pre1960) are now $300+, so the math is...3 tiers = x3 ;)

My final art acquisition for 2017

Got my first Outland (1989-1995) sunday strip by Berkeley Breathed, this was a spinoff from Bloom County (which ended in '89). I have never seen an original from the series except at CAM exhibit years ago. Nice Dallas gag with Michael Binkley and Opus. Great way to end the year.

My final art acquisition for 2017, is also a strip. Outland Sunday Dec 5, 1993

My first Outland (1989-1995) strip by Berkeley Breathed, this was a spinoff from Bloom County (which ended in '89). I have never seen an original from the series except at CAM exhibit years ago. Nice Dallas gag with Michael Binkley and Opus. Great way to end the year.

Larger scan http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1443523

Outland_12_5_93_1500.jpg

Edited by Brian Peck