• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tape on spine question
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Help & advice needed. I have several hundred silver-age Marvels that my brother had put a single strip of scotch-tape along the length of the spine (as a teenager 40 years ago) because they were becoming slightly frayed. Of course in hindsight we both wish he hadn't, but back then selling them never entered our minds. I am interested in selling, but would having a strip of tape on an otherwise excellent condition mag be a deal killer? If that is the only flaw, how many points should I expect to be knocked down should I ship some out for grading? I'm a bit concerned. Thanks.

Edited by Miami-Rick

4 hours ago, Miami-Rick said:

Help & advice needed. I have several hundred silver-age Marvels that my brother had put a single strip of scotch-tape along the length of the spine (as a teenager 40 years ago) because they were becoming slightly frayed. Of course in hindsight we both wish he hadn't, but back then selling them never entered our minds. I am interested in selling, but would having a strip of tape on an otherwise excellent condition mag be a deal killer? If that is the only flaw, how many points should I expect to be knocked down should I ship some out for grading? I'm a bit concerned. Thanks.

Hello Rick, and welcome to the pleasure dome!

Can you post some pictures or give us a list of what you have? As a rule, big lines of tape kill a book stone dead from a financial perspective, so it has to be something pretty special to warrant having it graded (on the basis that you're considering getting books graded for the purpose of investment that is). 

Most would call taped books 'reader copies' only. They can be loved and read,  but they won't make you a major buck unless they're Amazing Fantasy 15 or similar. 

Also, if you taped them originally because they were becoming frayed, they're unlikely to be in good shape regardless of the tape. See if you can upload a picture. It's good to see nice old books in any shape :headbang:

2 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

Hello Rick, and welcome to the pleasure dome!

Can you post some pictures or give us a list of what you have? As a rule, big lines of tape kill a book stone dead from a financial perspective, so it has to be something pretty special to warrant having it graded (on the basis that you're considering getting books graded for the purpose of investment that is). 

Most would call taped books 'reader copies' only. They can be loved and read,  but they won't make you a major buck unless they're Amazing Fantasy 15 or similar. 

Also, if you taped them originally because they were becoming frayed, they're unlikely to be in good shape regardless of the tape. See if you can upload a picture. It's good to see nice old books in any shape :headbang:

I'm not computer savvy, but if you provide me an email address I can send a few shots from my tablet for your feedback,..thanks.

9 minutes ago, Miami-Rick said:

I'm not computer savvy, but if you provide me an email address I can send a few shots from my tablet for your feedback,..thanks.

Hello again Miami Rick :)

It's not really the done thing to give out your email address to people you've only just met I'm afraid. Especially when you're under witness protection as I am (the mods are after me see for crimes against thread titles).

But uploading pictures is really easy, and you'll need to learn how to do it if you want to get the best out of your time here. So, when you go to create a post, or reply to a post as you did just now, you'll see 'choose files' in the dialogue box like so:

rick1.PNG.77d243b4d16c1dc9fcbac153d8dd076d.PNG

Assuming you're on your tablet, click on that 'choose files' link and it will open a box for you to select any files saved to your tablet.  Give it a go - it's quick and easy once you know how :wishluck:

Everyone will then dive in and tell you what your comics are worth. Be prepared for stinging criticism from some quarters though. Not everyone on here is as nice as I am (thumbsu