• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seeking specific Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide

9 posts in this topic

The Overstreet comic Book Price Guide once printed an article years ago (I think in the nineties?) about how the comic book industry almost died in the fifties for Marvel Comics during the Atlas era, and how multiple titles went under during that time with only the ones like Tales To Astonish, Tales of Suspense, Journey Into Mystery, etc., surviving into the sixties. This downfall may have been tied to the new comics code implementation, but I don't recall. Anyway, it was fascinating reading, especially now that I'm collecting all those Atlas issues, and I'd love to get this Overstreet copy again - if I only knew which one it was in!

44 minutes ago, Getoutandstayout said:

The Overstreet comic Book Price Guide once printed an article years ago (I think in the nineties?) about how the comic book industry almost died in the fifties for Marvel Comics during the Atlas era, and how multiple titles went under during that time with only the ones like Tales To Astonish, Tales of Suspense, Journey Into Mystery, etc., surviving into the sixties. This downfall may have been tied to the new comics code implementation, but I don't recall. Anyway, it was fascinating reading, especially now that I'm collecting all those Atlas issues, and I'd love to get this Overstreet copy again - if I only knew which one it was in!

What you are describing is the "Atlas Implosion"of 1957.  Here's a good article on it:

https://books.google.com/books?id=TrZ7Jx2nqIQC&pg=PA134&lpg=PA134&dq=Atlas+implosion.&source=bl&ots=ND4WkBoJDH&sig=rkUViM6MlRSlX9cvFScqRiwNXPU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi53pCSgZ7YAhVV5WMKHfKxCJUQ6AEINDAB#v=onepage&q=Atlas implosion.&f=false

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

Thanks for the info, but it was only a partial article (without buying it, I guess), and mainly got into the politics of the situation.

3 hours ago, Getoutandstayout said:

There is an article in Overstreet Price Guide 22 by Gary Carter and Pat Calhoun which may be the one you are looking for.