• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's it Worth? New Adams Deadman

27 posts in this topic

For those of you with time to kill, here's a question to ponder.

When the new Deadman series was announced, and there was mention of the Phantom Stranger appearing, I contacted Adams' shop about buying one. I was told that nothing would be put up for sale until it was published, but the expected asking price would start at $10,000 per page. 

Frankly, I think that's a breath-taking number. If you go on the Heritage Auctions' site, you will find a fair number of Deadman pages which sold at auction from his first Deadman go-around at quite a bit less than that (not cheaply, but less). And while I think his way of framing a page has grown a lot more dynamic, I don't care for the thicker, less detailed lines he now uses as much. A rough calculation of his total take is also pretty interesting. Figure 20 pages per story, or 120 pages, and that's a haul of at least $1,200,000. Throw in the covers, add in the extra amount for pages going for over $10,000, and that would net his shop over $1,000,000 after taxes. 

On the other hand, he is Neal Adams--the most important comic artist alive, and one of the most important, ever. Even a bad Picasso is still worth money. 

So what do you think? Will he get it? Would it be worth it to you?

When the PREACHER tv series mentioned they were going to reprint comics with variant covers I thought, "Self, here's your chance to get a PREACHER cover finally."

I had one lined up to buy, then the seller came back and said AMC was buying all of the variant cover OA  :cry: . Foiled again.

My point is, it seems Neal's OA pricing may even be too steep for AMC TV Money*

*YMMV

1 hour ago, mister_not_so_nice said:

When the PREACHER tv series mentioned they were going to reprint comics with variant covers I thought, "Self, here's your chance to get a PREACHER cover finally."

I had one lined up to buy, then the seller came back and said AMC was buying all of the variant cover OA  :cry: . Foiled again.

My point is, it seems Neal's OA pricing may even be too steep for AMC TV Money*

*YMMV

That's my thinking. The other possibility is that it was a random shot to see if it was attainable.

10 minutes ago, Bill C said:

The demand for 2017 pages would likely be based on nostalgia for the original run. So why not pay less money for better pages from the "real" run?

I'm on your side with this. I think he would have better luck if he started at $5K, on average, with a few going lower. But, he may feel his work is "money in the bank" and hold some, too. 

Let me add that I was never a big fan of Deadman, so I'm a little prejudiced. Now, Zatanna in fishnet stockings--that's a different matter.

2 hours ago, theflashunc said:

Growing Earth

Now that's interesting. I had never heard of it before your mention, so I Googled and started to listen. Then, I got a little bored.

He's right about the earth expanding, but I never got to his reasons. It's not by a lot, but we get bombarded every day with meteors and space dust. Over a 4.5 billion years, it must count for something.  And by the way, different minerals do have different densities. So, the volume of the Earth could be increasing if the mineral composition is changing.

43 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Now that's interesting. I had never heard of it before your mention, so I Googled and started to listen. Then, I got a little bored.

He's right about the earth expanding, but I never got to his reasons. It's not by a lot, but we get bombarded every day with meteors and space dust. Over a 4.5 billion years, it must count for something.  And by the way, different minerals do have different densities. So, the volume of the Earth could be increasing if the mineral composition is changing.

Can someone give a tldr for those of us who don't have hours to watch? I'd never heard of this before either.

You have to take into account seeing your old art sell for ridiculous prices, and seeing much of it enrich some people that are not named 'Neal Adams'.

Start there, sprinkle on some of the well known... self confidence... and $10k a page doesn't seem surprising. 

I wouldn't touch it personally, as others have said, get a page from one of the original runs. But do it soon, because those prices are going to go up soon as well. 

9 hours ago, theflashunc said:

The short version is Neal adheres to a rather crackpot theory about the history of the planet and geology. 

I confess my curiosity about the details because I know something about geology. The diameter of the planet probably has expanded, but we're talking really tiny numbers here. If you are curious:

(1) if you added up all the meteor showers and dust since the earth formed (I recall an old astronomy professor throwing out maybe half an inch on this);

(2) climate change increases the gas absorption rate of matter, including liquids. So, it is possible that sea and fresh water volume has increased as temperature has increased, thereby increasing the earth's diameter by a bit (you can also add ice melts, because the water then gets spread over the globe);

(3) Some rocks have a higher density than others (compare volcanic pumice stone to iron ore). Increasing volcanic activity could produce "lighter" rocks with a larger diameter, although, they would eventually be compressed by metamorphic reactions and gravity; and 

(4)  Sedimentary processes, like the construction of coral reefs add matter, although, they may be offset by the matter used to create the coral.

Doing a video about it...well...

Bought the first issue. Because, well, it’s Neal Adams Deadman. 

Quite honestly, the art was not up to snuff. He hasn’t done sequential storytelling in a while, abd has mostly been doing pinups and covers. 

That aside, I’d absolutely rather have an original run Adams Deadman Page than one of the new ones for that kind of money.