• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Traditional directors that dislike superhero productions
2 2

83 posts in this topic

Although not a traditional director. And yet a comic book producer. But this was interesting.

While currently working as a producer on the fourth season of the adult superhero series The Boys, Amazon Prime's biggest show of 2022, Rogen revealed his thoughts on the state of modern cinema to Total Film. The filmmaker revealed that, while he has seen several MCU projects over the years, he doesn't get the same enjoyment from them as other audience members. Despite holding Kevin Feige and Marvel Studios' creative team in high regard, Rogen admits that he feels the MCU is geared toward children more than adults:

"I think that Kevin Feige is a brilliant guy, and I think a lot of the filmmakers he’s hired to make these movies are great filmmakers. But as someone who doesn’t have children… It is [all] kind of geared toward kids, you know? There are times where I will forget. I’ll watch one of these things, as an adult with no kids, and be like, ‘Oh, this is just not for me.' "

Rogen went on to offer his gratitude for the existence of the MCU, admitting that his own superhero series likely wouldn't exist without the popularity afforded to the genre by the MCU. Entering its fourth season, The Boys' popularity has grown alongside that of the MCU, especially as it begins to air its own spinoffs, including the animated series Diabolical and the upcoming Gen V.

Although Seth Rogen's comments may not sit well with some, his opinion on the MCU, whether correct or not, has helped make The Boys one of the greatest and most popular streaming shows in recent years. In his interview, Rogen cited his feelings toward Marvel movies as one of the reasons he wanted to make a superhero series aimed at adults. The Boys parodies both Marvel and DC with regularity, putting a darker and more mature spin on each franchise's childish antics and thereby occupying a highly necessary position within the extremely popular superhero genre.

Someone will now proclaim how The Boys can't hold a candle to the MCU Disney+ shows.

:nyah:

On 9/25/2023 at 9:27 AM, Bosco685 said:

It would be better to generalize this statement as, "Fight back against bad movies by supporting directors that make good movies".

The interpretative part here is Comic Book Movie Culture. What exactly that means is not clear, surely it does not mean all comic book movies. To me Comic Book Movie Culture (CBMC) is a pattern of consumption that lacks discretion in regards to quality and consumes almost solely based on the genre. Something along the rationale of If I support comic book movies across the board then more comic book movies will be made. More accurately, more bad comic movies will be made IMO.  I suppose it is possible there are consumers that truly enjoy this whole mediocre mess. I would liken it to stray dogs that had to subsist on poo during periods of starvation. Once brought into a home with a large pack they now have the choice of eating good nutritious food. However they still continue to eat poo as well whereas the other dogs will not touch the stuff. Cmon boys, its dinner time, drop the poo.

image.png.e987e85db4a08e1cec7de82651e6d239.png

I deleted this tweet from earlier because the thread was turning caustic and some folks took it as a shot at Scorsese — it wasn’t. I was just pointing out the funny and obvious irony of the headline. The GQ interview that the headline refers to is excellent, and I don’t think it indicates any Scorsese disdain for comic book movies. He’s simply arguing that theaters are imbalanced when it comes to art vs commerce — and I don’t think he’s wrong about that.

the man knows what he's talking about; he's a fan of Hell or High Water ^^

John Woo Gives His Take On Superhero Films: “I Prefer Martin Scorsese’s Movies”

https://deadline.com/2023/11/john-woo-superhero-films-prefer-martin-scorseses-movies-1235633826/

Edited by paperheart

She opened the topic - and she continues the theme

Jodie Foster said in a new interview with Elle magazine that superhero movies are just “a phase,” one that has gone on a bit too long for her liking. The actor, who is currently earning Oscar buzz for her supporting role in Netflix’s “Nyad” and who is also headlining HBO’s “True Detective” Season 4 next year, said she’s a fan of some superhero films but none of them are life-changing to her.

“It’s a phase. It’s a phase that’s lasted a little too long for me, but it’s a phase, and I’ve seen so many different phases,” Foster said on the matter. “Hopefully people will be sick of it soon. The good ones—like ‘Iron Man,’ ‘Black Panther,’ ‘The Matrix’—I marvel at those movies, and I’m swept up in the entertainment of it, but that’s not why I became an actor. And those movies don’t change my life. Hopefully there’ll be room for everything else.”

The Matrix is a superhero movie?

On 11/30/2023 at 2:04 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I find it a little funny that the Glitterati brow-beat and look down on comic book movies - which not only helped prop up their hilariously self-indulgent and glorified masturbatory profession - but gave people insane paychecks for running around doing other-worldly activities for the purpose of entertainment.

Do these imbeciles not understand that comic book movies are simply a differently-dressed action movie? Or gangster movie? Let me see:

1. Good guy who triumphs over bad guy. Check.

or

2. Bad guy who triumphs over other bad guys. Check.

or

3. The story about a bunch of people taking matters into their own hands with no regard to authority. Check.

I could go on and parallel practically any movie that involves action or weapons to a comic book movie. Scorsese may think he's got the 'What I Make Is Cool, What You Make Sucks' ground - but last I checked, Goodfellas and The Boys stand on equal moral ground in character development, with the only determining difference being one cast wears expensive Italian shoes.

Another glaring example of idiotic Hollywood hypocrisy. I imagine for an encore, they'll make another "guns are bad" commercial featuring actors who use guns in movies. :eyeroll:

Yeah - all of this.

I love John Woo - but his moralizing about superhero movies when he made A Better Tomorrow and Face/Off?

To be clear, Face/Off is one of my favorite films of the '90s - and among my top 10 all-time action films, but it's almost a cartoon. And with few tweaks, it could have been a really good Punisher movie.

Ditto - I can respect Jodie Foster not wanting to appear in superhero flicks, but I'd much rather see her as a one-off character in a superhero project (a la her colleagues Annette Bening, Glenn Close, Sigourney Weaver, & Amy Adams) than in some of her own past misfires (like Nell).

You can't headline a mediocre episode of Black Mirror on the one hand and then write-off an entire genre of film on the other without absolutely drowning in hypocrisy.

On 11/30/2023 at 3:30 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Yeah - all of this.

I love John Woo - but his moralizing about superhero movies when he made A Better Tomorrow and Face/Off?

To be clear, Face/Off is one of my favorite films of the '90s - and among my top 10 all-time action films, but it's almost a cartoon. And with few tweaks, it could have been a really good Punisher movie.

Ditto - I can respect Jodie Foster not wanting to appear in superhero flicks, but I'd much rather see her as a one-off character in a superhero project (a la her colleagues Annette Bening, Glenn Close, Sigourney Weaver, & Amy Adams) than in some of her own past misfires (like Nell).

You can't headline a mediocre episode of Black Mirror on the one hand and then write-off an entire genre of film on the other without absolutely drowning in hypocrisy.

Agreed. Every actor and director who pipes up about it - they've made a film that I truly enjoy. Trying to rub my d\ck in the dirt because I'm a comic book movie fan is petty.

On 11/30/2023 at 8:37 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Agreed. Every actor and director who pipes up about it - they've made a film that I truly enjoy. Trying to rub my d\ck in the dirt because I'm a comic book movie fan is petty.

Yeah, I imagine it never ages well to come across as snobby. They should have written that lesson down in green, so they could go ahead and shut up about it.

Any movie in any genre has the potential for greatness.

The movie making landscape has changed a lot and continues to change. Money had dried up for many movies that would have been green lit in the past which had frustrated a lot of directors who then turn on CBMs as an easy scapegoat.

I don’t blame anyone at all. But if I’m an artist and funds aren’t there anymore then maybe I have to rethink how to continue to be creative and be happy in a changing landscape. People have to deal with that all the time.

Fosters problems with the industry aren’t going away as CBMs fade. It is not a genre problem.

Edited by Mr Sneeze

On 11/30/2023 at 10:41 PM, jsilverjanet said:

Well the blame should be on the studios for making the content - they could easily divert the money elsewhere 

not the movies/directors/actors/writers/etc

I really wish the big studios would support art house fare but when have big studios ever done anything more than imitation. 

Then we have Netflix who will only run a film for a one week limited release to qualify for awards. Seems their business model is to not support theatres. I would have happily seen a few of their original movies in a theatre had I been given a chance. At least they’re giving out a few bucks, maybe someone can convince Netflix to buy AMC.

Edited by Mr Sneeze

On 12/1/2023 at 6:52 AM, Mr Sneeze said:

I really wish the big studios would support art house fare but when have big studios ever done anything more than imitation. 

Then we have Netflix who will only run a film for a one week limited release to qualify for awards. Seems their business model is to not support theatres. I would have happily seen a few of their original movies in a theatre had I been given a chance. At least they’re giving out a few bucks, maybe someone can convince Netflix to buy AMC.

why would Netflix buy into a terrible business that's been in secular decline for 80 years and only survives by bilking customers for $9 tubs of popcorn & $8 for 10 cents worth of sugar water? Netflix's biz model seems to be working as far as Wall Street is concerned.

Edited by paperheart

On 12/1/2023 at 11:59 AM, paperheart said:

why would Netflix buy into a terrible business that's been in secular decline for 80 years and only survives by bilking customers for $9 tubs of popcorn & $8 for 10 cents worth of sugar water? Netflix's biz model seems to be working as far as Wall Street is concerned.

Of course they wouldn’t. I just don‘t want theatres to go away.

Sounds like your getting a combo $3 cheaper than me.

Edited by Mr Sneeze
Added comment

On 12/1/2023 at 8:52 AM, Mr Sneeze said:

actually this is a good point, it's not just the studios but all the theaters and the agreements they have with the distributors/studios

example when Disney releases a movie, they have a guarantee of x number of screens etc